Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - English pet peeves

English pet peeves

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

RE: English pet peeves

Postby captcouch » Fri 07.06.2007 1:14 am

A few of my English pet peeves:

1. When to use apostrophes to mark possessives of plural nouns, ie, bird's, birds'
2. Why people use the word "ain't". It doesn't make you sound very smart, that's for sure.
3. How people try to jazz up English on the Internet by using 1337-sp3@k (leet-speak)
captcouch

Postby SenescenceReign » Fri 07.06.2007 2:12 am

Thanks, Chikara! Eddie Izzard is hi-larious. Once I feel enough people have seen this one (or I grow tired of it) I'll switch it out with another. Remember; hi-larious.
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Postby Infidel » Fri 07.06.2007 3:23 am

I don't get it.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Re: English pet peeves

Postby distantsmoke » Wed 11.19.2008 2:06 pm

tanuki wrote:Hi, people!

Do you have an English pet peeve? You know, that one mistake you can't stand to see or hear.

So, what's yours?

It drives me up the wall when people write "bare with me".
It's "bear with me", for heaven's sake. Bear as in "verb Inflected Form(s): bore \ˈbȯr\ ; borne also born \ˈbȯrn\ ; bear·ing "
"to support the weight of : sustain b: to accept or allow oneself to be subjected to especially without giving way"
distantsmoke

Postby Dustin » Wed 11.19.2008 6:12 pm

Maybe this has been said already...

People that say "I could care less"

It is NOT a set phrase, at least noy yet, and it is wrong, you COULD care less, oh so you DO care then.

I couldn't care less is the correct form..

Unfortunately I am afraid that I could care less may become a set phrase and therefor by evolution of the language be considered correct ><
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 11.19.2008 6:43 pm

It's certainly a set phrase for me. I only say "I could care less" and never use the "couldn't" version. Never bothered me too much since idioms don't always make sense.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.19.2008 7:49 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:since idioms don't always make sense.

QFT!

Have his cake and eat it too. Why would I want to have cake and not eat it?

Could care less and couldn't care less are essentially interchangeable in normal American idiom.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby chikara » Wed 11.19.2008 7:53 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:It's certainly a set phrase for me. I only say "I could care less" and never use the "couldn't" version. Never bothered me too much since idioms don't always make sense.

I have never actually heard that phrase. Is it common in your part of the world Chris-san?

I hear "I couldn't care less" regularly but it is becoming superseded by less polite set phrases with a similar meaning. A British commedy skit show that has been broadcast here recently has popularised "I ain't bovvered (sic)".

BTW distantsmoke-san, 06 Jul 2007 to 20 Nov 2008 makes you the lead contender for TJP's Necropost of the Month award :P :wink:

EDIT: :shock: やった! Just saw your very next post which trumps the one in this thread :twisted:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 11.19.2008 8:11 pm

chikara wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:It's certainly a set phrase for me. I only say "I could care less" and never use the "couldn't" version. Never bothered me too much since idioms don't always make sense.

I have never actually heard that phrase. Is it common in your part of the world Chris-san?

Fairly common, yes.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 11.19.2008 10:33 pm

Since this thread seems to have been resurrected, I'll share my pet peeve. It bothers me when you knock on a door and the person inside says "It's open.", when what they really mean is "It's unlocked." I don't know why this should bother me, but it does. People actually say this in Japanese too, so I guess it's cross-linguistic pet peeve.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby chikara » Wed 11.19.2008 10:39 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Since this thread seems to have been resurrected, I'll share my pet peeve. It bothers me when you knock on a door and the person inside says "It's open.", when what they really mean is "It's unlocked." .....

I had never really thought of it like that but you are right. Can't say it bothers me though. I have always thought of it in the same vein as "when does the shop open?". "open for business" does not mean that the door is necessarily open but it will probably be unlocked. :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby keatonatron » Thu 11.20.2008 1:29 am

becki_kanou wrote:It bothers me when you knock on a door and the person inside says "It's open.", when what they really mean is "It's unlocked."

"Open" is synonymous with unlocked. In this case it's the "accessible" definition and not the "not blocking an entry" definition.

And "I couldn't care less" is an idiom that makes perfect sense. I care so little.... How little do you care? I care so little, it's impossible for me to care less (I couldn't possibly care less).

The "I could care less" version, on the other hand, is the one that doesn't make any sense.
keatonatron

Postby Dustin » Thu 11.20.2008 1:40 am

keatonatron wrote:And "I couldn't care less" is an idiom that makes perfect sense. I care so little.... How little do you care? I care so little, it's impossible for me to care less (I couldn't possibly care less).

The "I could care less" version, on the other hand, is the one that doesn't make any sense.

Exactly what my point was, :D

All of my friends no longer use "I could care less" because when they do I make a point of asking them, "Oh really? you could? because I personally could NOT care less. " :D

They start out just kind of snickering after being caughe off guard by it, start to get a little annoyed, then they reach the point where every time they say it i don't have to point it out cause they KNOW it's coming, then it ends completely :D

Now I hear it everywhere, much more than the "correct" version which is why I'm afraid it is just becoming a set phrase / idiom opposite of it's actual meaning.
Dustin

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 11.20.2008 9:48 am

chikara wrote:
BTW distantsmoke-san, 06 Jul 2007 to 20 Nov 2008 makes you the lead contender for TJP's Necropost of the Month award :P :wink:

In a thread such as this, where adding your pet peeve is all that's required, necroposting isn't a big deal at all. Now, some of the other threads that distant smoke opened up, his/her comments didn't add anything, so yeah threadmancy was hardcore there.
two_heads_talking

Postby chikara » Thu 11.20.2008 7:31 pm

Errmmmm basically you know my English pet peeve is like I mean ......

People who fill their sentences with meaningless fillers. Makes me feel like yelling at them "spit it out, just get on and say it" :evil:
chikara

PreviousNext

Return to 英語の練習