Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 英語の文法と語法の質問〜2

英語の文法と語法の質問〜2

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

RE: 英語の文法と語法の質問〜2

Postby furin » Tue 05.22.2007 3:19 am

油断大敵さん、ありがとうございます。

"at the side of the road" gives 350,000+ google hits
Yes. What made me ask a question was that.

"in the side of the road" seems to be used for things that are occupying the edge of the road but are still in it (like bicyclers)
I see, in some situation, that "in the side of the road" would be correct.

Then, watching the live broadcast of Maraton, can I say like "The runner who is running in the side of the road is A." (and B and C are running in the middle of the road)? Or I don't understand what you wrote yet.
furin

Postby Infidel » Tue 05.22.2007 5:40 am

What is the difference between "on the side of the road", "in the side of the road" and "at the side of the road"?

Hrm,

Well, they do seem interchangable to describe something unmoving. On is usually for animate things. To use at for an an animate it needs to be standing relatively still. You wait at(or on) the roadside for a bus because you aren't moving. But you only "walk on the road" because "at" implies a static location.

To be "in" there needs to be some an established barrier that surrounds so it defines "out". "In the road" makes me imagine the sides of the road as the barrier. But "in the side" doesn't work because it's only 1 barrier that does not surround. So in would mean a physical feature specific to the side of the road.

Thus Budda on the side of the road implies that he is walking on the sidewalk.
In the side of the road implies someone killed him already and stuck him in a gutter.
At the side of the road, and Budda is waiting for something, probably for a WALK sign.

"In the side of the road" only has 700 hits or so, and most of those describe potholes, indentations, ditches, and other physical features of the road. Most of the other references looked like grammatical errors that weren't caught for some reason.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 05.22.2007 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Valatunda » Tue 05.22.2007 6:21 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
I disagree with Valatunda's pictoral explanation of on vs. at the side of the road but I'm not sure I can offer one of my own.

Sorry, maybe I should have supported the pictures with more explanation. However I think Infidel’s post explained things quite well.
Valatunda

Postby richvh » Tue 05.22.2007 6:40 am

furin wrote:
Then, watching the live broadcast of Maraton, can I say like "The runner who is running in the side of the road is A." (and B and C are running in the middle of the road)? Or I don't understand what you wrote yet.

For this case, I think a fourth alternative is best: along the side of the road.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby furin » Tue 05.22.2007 8:47 pm

Infidel-san, ありがとうございます。
Your explanation made me more clear about them.

Valatunda-san, I appreciated your reply too.

Rich-san, along the side of the road ですか。
おかげさまで、状況がパッと頭に浮かぶようになってきました。ありがとうございます。
furin

Postby miha » Wed 05.23.2007 8:54 am

質問33. 足の指を英語で何といいますか?まとめて、toeですか?日本語では、足の親指とか足の指というんですが、1つ1つの言い方はないですか?

fingerは、手の指だけ言うとききましたが、

たとえば、5本指の靴下と言いたいときは、何と言えばいいでしょうか?
よろしくお願いします。
miha

Postby richvh » Wed 05.23.2007 9:07 am

その通りです。足の指はtoeと言い、手の指はfingerと言います。足の親指はbig toeと言います。他の指は特別な名はありません。

アメリカでは5本指の靴下を見ることはあまりないが、Googleをするとtoe sockという5本指の靴下を見つけました。
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby miha » Wed 05.23.2007 9:22 am

>リッチさん、ありがとう。

なるほど、ありがとう。5本指の靴下は、水虫の人にいいらしいですよ。足の指がくっついていないから、足が蒸れないので、いいらしいです。
miha

Postby furin » Thu 05.24.2007 10:02 pm

質問34.

Well, I wonder why there are different way of calling for foreign people/area in English. Like Japan to Japanese, America to American and England to English etc. In Japanese, we just add 人 after their countries like 日本人、アメリカ人、イギリス人、アジア人、ヨーロッパ人....
What is the difference of them(-ese, -an, -sh, -ch)? There are any rules? or by some possibility, -ese means barbarian or such? :o

BTW,
他の指は特別な名はありません
足の小指を角にぶつけた時なんか、なんて言うんでしょうね :D
furin

Postby Infidel » Thu 05.24.2007 10:10 pm

What is the difference of them(-ese, -an, -sh, -ch)? There are any rules? or by some possibility, -ese means barbarian or such?

They are all the same that I can tell. It's based off the last syllable and it's all about ease of pronunciation.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby richvh » Thu 05.24.2007 10:27 pm

No rules for that, you pretty much have to learn them case by case. The dictionary I just checked doesn't give an etymology for -ese, but I highly doubt it has anything to do with "barbarian"; it's more likely related to -ish.

そういう事故がしてしまうと、普通はI stubbed my toeとだけ言うと思います。どの足の指が痛むことを示したいのなら、little toeと言ってもいいですが、そういう名を聞くことはあまりないと思います。
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby furin » Thu 05.24.2007 10:39 pm

Infidelさん、Richardさん、迅速なご回答ありがとうございます。

It's based off the last syllable and it's all about ease of pronunciation.
That makes sense.
But I still have a question. Why -ese is used instead of -sh? I guess Japanish or Chinish sounds no problem... or perhaps this is a stupid question.

you pretty much have to learn them case by case.
I do :(
そういう事故がしてしまうと、普通はI stubbed my toeとだけ言うと思います。どの足の指が痛むことを示したいのなら、little toeと言ってもいいですが、そういう名を聞くことはあまりないと思います。
そうですか。わかりました :)
furin

Postby Infidel » Thu 05.24.2007 11:39 pm

furin wrote:
It's based off the last syllable and it's all about ease of pronunciation.
That makes sense.
But I still have a question. Why -ese is used instead of -sh? I guess Japanish or Chinish sounds no problem... or perhaps this is a stupid question.[/quote]

It's not a stupid question. These are the ones people ask without thinking first. There are some rules, but they are something you internalize after learning many examples,

Some basics though wouldn't hurt. These are off the top of my head though so some room for error and there are exceptions. Look at the word. If the final sound is イ drop it. Otherwise, drop the final consonant and any vowels until you get to the penultimate consonant. Look at the new word. If the word already ends in -an, -ch, -sh. and is 2 syllables or more, keep it otherwise add ese or uese if it ends in a hard consonant and ish if a soft consonant. Germany > german > keep. England > drop and add ish. Portugal > portug > Portuguese.
Last edited by Infidel on Thu 05.24.2007 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby furin » Fri 05.25.2007 7:43 pm

Infidelさん、詳しい解説をありがとうございます!
Look at the word. If the final sound is イ drop it. Otherwise, drop the final consonant and any vowels until you get to the penultimate consonant. Look at the new word. If the word already ends in -an, -ch, -sh. and is 2 syllables or more, keep it otherwise add ese or uese if it ends in a hard consonant and ish if a soft consonant.

なるほど。 各国の名称を見比べてみると例外もかなりありましたが、だいたい上記の規則に当てはまりました :)
furin

Postby Infidel » Sat 05.26.2007 1:52 am

Well, remember that those are just guidelines, more of an attempted explanation than rules you should memorize and follow... Like explaining when to read words ON or Kun. There are guidelines, but in the end, you just have to learn the words individually, but after learning to read many words, then you can often guess correctly when you come across a new word.

Last syllable ends in -ia add n. Russia > Russian. Ethiopia > Ethiopian, Indonesia > Indonesian. I actually can't think of an exception to this atm.

Tribes apparently don't get the same treatment. If the language is a tribal language not a national language, then there is no morping. Cherokee the tribe > Cherokee the language, Apache > Apache. Inuit > Inuit. So even though the Cherokee are sometimes called "The Cherokee Nation," the language is still treated as tribal and not morphed.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

PreviousNext

Return to 英語の練習