Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Who all, where all, what all

Who all, where all, what all

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

Who all, where all, what all

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 07.31.2007 10:53 pm

I grew up in Indiana, and I use the plural forms in the topic frequently, i.e. "Who all was at the party?" or "Where all did you go over break?"

It has been suggested to me that this is Midwest dialect; do any of you use these forms?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

RE: Who all, where all, what all

Postby clay » Tue 07.31.2007 10:56 pm

Born in Mississippi and lived in Florida for over a decade and have heard that in both places.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby AndyTheUsagi » Wed 08.01.2007 12:04 am

Born, raised, and still live in Oregon. I've definitely heard that, and actually used it myself. Not uncommon around here.
AndyTheUsagi

Postby shoCk_x » Wed 08.01.2007 1:14 am

I was raised and still live in northern California. I've never heard that here. I asked a friend of mine (that lives in my area) if she's ever heard it and she laughed her head off. n_n;
shoCk_x

Postby chikara » Wed 08.01.2007 1:27 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
I grew up in Indiana, and I use the plural forms in the topic frequently, i.e. "Who all was at the party?" or "Where all did you go over break?" ....

If certain other forum members had posted that I would have thought it was a joke ;)

I lived for a short time in MN and never heard that. I'm sure I would remember if I had as it is such "bad" English.

In both those sentences the word "all" is totally superfluous. I've heard "yous" incorrectly used as the plural of "you" but never "all" to make "who" and "you" plural.

Do teenagers over there say;
"Who all was like at the like party?"
"Where all did you like go over the like break?"
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby AndyTheUsagi » Wed 08.01.2007 1:33 am

Take the word "like" out and you've got it. I've heard adults using the expression over here. You know what? Maybe the expression came from the Northwest instead. (Hahahaha)
AndyTheUsagi

Postby chikara » Wed 08.01.2007 2:02 am

AndyTheUsagi wrote:
Take the word "like" out and you've got it. .....

Take the words "all" and "like" out and the sentence has the same, if not clearer, meaning. :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby saraLynne » Wed 08.01.2007 3:10 am

Grew up in Wisconsin, and I use it all the time. Can't speak for elsewhere, though. I've lived in Texas and now Nebraska but I've never made note of whether or not others say it.

@chikara: adding "all", in the manner than I use it, has the specific intent of conveying the idea that I would like to know things in comprehensive detail. "Where did you go on break?" indicates a desire for a brief answer, IE "Kentucky." "Where all did you go on break?" "I took a tour bus through Kentucky, and I saw this, that, the other, and visited a water park with my boyfriend."

If it has a function, it isn't "bad" IMHO. ^_^
saraLynne

Postby AJBryant » Wed 08.01.2007 3:46 am

Distinction: "Who all was at the party" = tell me everyone who was there. "Who was at the party" = gimme some names.

Or at least, that's how we used to figure it. I've heard it all my life.

Tony
Last edited by AJBryant on Wed 08.01.2007 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 08.01.2007 10:07 am

chikara wrote:
In both those sentences the word "all" is totally superfluous. I've heard "yous" incorrectly used as the plural of "you" but never "all" to make "who" and "you" plural.

It's not totally superfluous. It isn't necessary, but it emphasizes the exact nature of the question, as others have indicated.

Do teenagers over there say;
"Who all was like at the like party?"
"Where all did you like go over the like break?"

I was a heavy user of "like" in my younger years, although both of those sentences are unnatural. Contrary to popular belief, "like" is not used randomly. It has a very wide range of meanings, but the range is not unlimited.

"Like" could go at the beginning of either sentence there, but if you want to put it in the middle of the sentences I think you would have to do:
"Who all was, like, at the party?"
"Where all did you go, like, over the break?"
But even these sound a bit odd to me -- if these were spoken the "like" would be used more as a filler word like Japanese "ee to" or "anoo".

Typically "like" has to have some connotation of its original meaning of "as" or "in the manner of". Often it adds emphasis with the connotation of distaste or something contrary to expectation.
"So is he, like, coming over tonight or what?" (Here "like" indicates a lack of expectation, or possibly distaste)
"So you're, like, not going to do any work at all?" (Once again, expresses distaste)

I still use "like" in speech to mean "giving off a general impression" in instances like this:
"He was [all] like 'how do you expect us to do all this homework?'" (In this case the same meaning is not conveyed with "He said".)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby richvh » Wed 08.01.2007 10:17 am

I don't think it's terribly common in my area (Mid-Hudson Valley of New York), and when it is used, it's likely to be inquisitorial (Explain yourself! Where all have you been off to, young man?) rather than merely nosy (You went to the party? Who all was there?)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Shirasagi » Wed 08.01.2007 11:12 am

Born in Chicago, raised in Minnesota. I say, "Who all was there?" and have heard it often. "Where all did you go?", not so much. The use of "all" is not at all superfluous. If I ask "Who was there?" I expect my conversation partner to give me a broad overview of the people present - the highlights, as it were. If I include "all", I'm expecting a much more extensive, if not exhaustive, listing. So, pretty much like Tony says.

For the past 20(!) years, I've also used "like" as Chris describes. I am, of course, able to adjust my speaking style to fit the situation I'm in. And with my Old English ability, I'm able to be more "correct" than most of the grammar police.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby AJBryant » Wed 08.01.2007 11:32 am

Shirasagi wrote:
And with my Old English ability, I'm able to be more "correct" than most of the grammar police.

Old English!?

Sprecst þu Englisc? Ic leorne Englisc!

Beowulf! Forþæm þe Chaucer bið to eaðe!

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Shirasagi » Wed 08.01.2007 3:50 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Shirasagi wrote:
And with my Old English ability, I'm able to be more "correct" than most of the grammar police.

Old English!?

Sprecst þu Englisc? Ic leorne Englisc!

Beowulf! Forþæm þe Chaucer bið to eaðe!

Tony

Eala! Ðu eart Effingham! Ic eom Iosue - ic gefultumode þe for þinum T-scyrte!

Damn. We're on about three different forums together. I don't suppose you hang out at BaseballThinkFactory.org or SumoForum.net, do you?
Last edited by Shirasagi on Wed 08.01.2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby chikara » Wed 08.01.2007 7:43 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Distinction: "Who all was at the party" = tell me everyone who was there. "Who was at the party" = gimme some names.

Or at least, that's how we used to figure it. I've heard it all my life.

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
It's not totally superfluous. It isn't necessary, but it emphasizes the exact nature of the question, as others have indicated.

That is an interesting distinction and one that would never occur to me nor, I would imagine, the majority of English speakers in this country.

So if asked "Who was there?" you would not respond with all the names but a selected subset. Quite strange.
chikara

Next

Return to 英語の練習