Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - love means never having to say you're sorry

love means never having to say you're sorry

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

love means never having to say you're sorry

Postby SuzuQ » Thu 09.27.2007 9:48 am

「愛とは決して後悔しないこと」という、映画の有名なセリフについて質問です。
英語だと、love means never having to say you're sorryとのことですが、このsorryはどういう意味なのでしょうか。 Say you're sorryとくると、どうしても「ごめんなさいを言う」に思えてしまい、もしかして「愛する人にはごめんなさいなんて言わなくて良いのよ、それが愛なのよ」ってことなのかと思いました。 謝罪と後悔ってちょっと違いますよね。 文章の美しさとか、文字数の都合もあってこの訳なのかもしれませんが、本当に「後悔」と捉えて良いのでしょうか??

If you like old movies, you may have heard this phrase from Love Story: love means never having to say you're sorry.
I was wondering what this "sorry" means in this phrase. Does this mean "you don't need to regret what you've done to your precious one" or "you don't need to say gomennasai to your precious one?" Japanese translation means "love means never regretting," but I'm not comfortable with the translation after knowing the English phrase. To me, "say you're sorry" always sounds like apologizing. Can someone please help me understand the phrase? Thank you :D
SuzuQ

RE: love means never having to say you're sorry

Postby Machina Maw » Thu 09.27.2007 12:38 pm

The way it's phrased makes it sound like "love means never having to say gomen nasai to your precious one".

Maybe it means something like, "love means never having to ask for forgiveness, because you know that your significant other loves you so much that anything you do is instantly forgiven and you never have to apologise for it"... or something like that :P.
Machina Maw

RE: love means never having to say you're sorry

Postby EvanT » Mon 10.01.2007 10:32 pm

Maybe it means something like, "love means never having to ask for forgiveness, because you know that your significant other loves you so much that anything you do is instantly forgiven and you never have to apologise for it"... or something like that .

...or... if you trully love someone, you'll never apologize, because you'll never do something worth-apologizing for anyway. :P
EvanT

Return to 英語の練習