Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ゆきの物語 - Chapter 2

ゆきの物語 - Chapter 2

Translations of chapters from the story by our own richvh

ゆきの物語 - Chapter 2

Postby Birddog » Wed 01.24.2007 11:55 pm

I know it's a bit early, but I did the second chapter while I had some free time.

Meeting with a Fisherman.

Before long Yuki had reached the sea. On the sandy shore there was a fisherman fixing a tear in his net.

"Hello Mr.Fisherman, I'm Yuki" said Yuki

"Hello, Yuki" replied the fisherman

"If it's okay with you, I'll help by mending your net" said Yuki

"Righty O. If you fix my net for me, I'll go catch shellfish" said the fisherman

So Yuki sat on the beach and mended the net, and the fisherman caught shellfish on the shore.

Soon, Yuki had finished mending the net. She called out "Fisherman, your net is mended"

The fisherman looked at the net carefully. "You've done a fine job, it looks a lot better than before. You've been a great help, Thank you" he said.

"Not at all, Sorry for not making a good job of it" replied Yuki

"Where are you going" asked the fisherman

"To a big city to find happiness" replied Yuki

"Put your heart into it" said the fisherman

"I will" replied Yuki

"Please take half a shellfish as a token of my appreciation" said the fisherman

"I could never take such a thing" said Yuki

"It's nothing really at all...And anyway, because you mended my net, I'm sure I can catch a lot of fish" urged the fisherman.

"Are you sure? Well in that case, I'll take it. Thank you very much" replied Yuki.

With that, Yuki put the shellfish in her sleeve, and set off for the city.
Birddog

RE: ゆきの物語 - Chapter 2

Postby Lego » Thu 01.25.2007 2:08 pm

I have almost finished this chapter, but there are some points that I don't get :(
I can get the general meaning, but I can't tell why it means what it means :P

1) 私ゆきと垂オます
2) きれいに修繕できていますよ
3) いいえ、あまりうまくできなくてごめんなさい
4) どうぞ、感謝の印に貝を半分お受け取りください
Lego

Postby richvh » Thu 01.25.2007 2:48 pm

Lego wrote:
I have almost finished this chapter, but there are some points that I don't get :(
I can get the general meaning, but I can't tell why it means what it means :P

1) 私ゆきと垂オます

I obviously messed up on my last edit. There's supposed to be a は after 私. 垂キ = 言う
2) きれいに修繕できていますよ

きれい is a na adjective; when followed by に it becomes an adverb. 修繕 is a suru verb, and of course the potential of する is できる. 修繕 is what she is able to do, and きれい is the manner in which she is able to do it.
3) いいえ、あまりうまくできなくてごめんなさい

うまい is an i adjective, and when the い is replaced with く, it becomes an adverb. あまり is another adverb modifying うまい, and うまく is modifying (修繕)できない, which has become できなくて before ごめんなさい because it isn't the final verb in the sentence.
4) どうぞ、感謝の印に貝を半分お受け取りください

お受け取りください is a more polite way to say 受け取ってください. What does 漁師 want to be 受け取る? 貝を半分. Why/in what manner are they being 受け取る? 感謝の印に.
Last edited by richvh on Thu 01.25.2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby hungryhotei » Thu 01.25.2007 3:25 pm

Lego wrote:

2) きれいに修繕できていますよ

Your problem might be in the use of the -te form for states.
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/enduring.html#part3
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby Lego » Thu 01.25.2007 4:35 pm

thanks richvh :)
tomorrow I'll read accurately your reply and hopefully fill the gaps in my translation :)
I obviously have a problem with adverbs... now that I think of it I totally neglected them :D
Lego

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Thu 01.25.2007 5:09 pm

I really like this story so far, Yuki seems like a really nice person.

My attempt:

Chapter 2

Meeting with a Fisherman

Before long, Yuki arrived at the sea. On the sandy beach, a fisherman was fixing the holes in his nets.

"Hello, Mr. Fisherman. I am Yuki," Yuki said.

"Hello, Yuki," the fisherman replied.

"If you want, I can help you fix the nets."

"Alright. While you fix the nets, I'll go collect some shells," said the fisherman.

And while Yuki sat on the beach fixing the nets, the fisherman collected shells along the coast.

Before long Yuki had finished fixing the nets. "Mr. Fisherman! I fixed the nets," she called.

The fisherman took a good look. "You repaired these very well. It seems they are even better than before. It has been saved. Thank you so much," he said.

"No, I'm sorry I couldn't do any better," Yuki replied.

"Where are you going?" the fisherman asked.

"To search for happiness in the big city," Yuki replied.

"Do your best," the fisherman said.

"I will," Yuki said.

"Please, as a token of my appreciation, take half of a shell," the fishman said.

"I can't accept this," Yuki said.

"No, it's ok, because now with this fixed net, I think I can catch a lot of fish," said the fisherman.

"Really? Then, I will take a shell. Thank you very much," Yuki replied.

And, with the shell in her sleeve, Yuki set off towards the big city.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby richvh » Thu 01.25.2007 5:47 pm

That makes two people who think 貝を半分 is half of a shellfish. <sigh> Is splitting one clam/oyster/etc. very generous for the work done? How many shellfish do you think he could have gathered while she was working? Read ahead into chapter 3, and see if you think "half a shellfish" still makes sense.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Birddog » Thu 01.25.2007 6:20 pm

I understand about the half of a shellfish/half of the (gathered) shellfish now. Just out of curiosity, how would "half of a shellfish" be expressed in Japanese?

一枚の貝を半分?

Birddog
Birddog

Postby richvh » Thu 01.25.2007 7:35 pm

I'm not sure what counter is appropriate for 貝 (I doubt it is 枚, as shellfish aren't that flat; maybe 一個?), but yes, if you have to specify just one half of one item, I guess it would be something like that.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Apache Dawn » Thu 01.25.2007 9:56 pm

I'm sure I made many mistakes in this. I could use all the clarification I could get in the places where I had trouble.

Before long, Yuki arrived at the ocean.

By the beach, a fisherman was repairing a hole in his net.

"Hello Fisherman. I am called Yuki," Yuki said.

"Good day, Yuki," The fisherman replied.

"I will help you mend your net," said Yuki.

"Yuki mend my net while I collect shells," the fisherman said.

From that, Yuki sat on the beach while mending the net, and the fisherman collected shells.

Soon, Yuki finished mending the net. "Fisherman, the next is fixed," she called out.

The fisherman saw the net. "You have done a marvelous job mending. It is better than before. You have saved my net. Thank you," he said.

"No, <something> I beg your pardon," Yuki replied. (If someone could explain this line)

"Where can I take you?" asked the fisherman.

"To search for happiness, take me to a big city," Yuki replied.

"Hold on to that, please <referring to the search of happiness, if I am not mistaken>," the fisherman said.

"I will hold on to it," Yuki said.

"Kindly accept this half of a shell as a mark of gratitude, please," the fisherman said. <from replies from rich, I know this is a pearl now.>

"I cannot receive that," Yuki said. <I need some clarification on this line>

"No, do not decline this. With this repaired net, I think I can catch many fish," The fisherman said. <this line needs some help also>

"Is that true? Well, I will take the shell. Thank you so much," Yuki replied.

From there, Yuki put the shell in her sleeve, and went to the big city.

Again, please correct and clarify what you can for me. ;)
Apache Dawn

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Thu 01.25.2007 10:50 pm

About the half of a shell fish: When I first read through the story, I thought there was a whole bunch of fishermen, and taking half of all the shellfish that a whole bunch of fisherman had caught seemed a little too much, so I thought maybe it was just half of a shellfish (which in retrospect may be just as weird).

When I realized it was only one fisherman, I forgot that only one fisherman wouldn't have caught a whole ton of shellfish and it would actually make sense for her to take half of them.

But I understand now, I think.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Lego » Fri 01.26.2007 5:28 am

mm it makes much more sense if there are many shellfishes!
it was a bit weird that Yuki was refusing just half shellfish ^^

The encounter with the fisherman

Soon Yuki reached the sea. On the beach a fisherman was repairing a hole in a open net.
"Goodmorning, mr fisherman, I'm called Yuki" said Yuki.
"Goodmorning Yuki" answered the fisherman.
"If you want, I'll help you repair the net" said Yuki.
"Ok. Yuki, if you help me to repair the net, I'll catch some shellfishes" said the fisherman.
So Yuki, sitting on the sand, repaired the net, and the fisherman took the shellfishes from the seashore.
Soon Yuki finished to repair the net. "Mr fisherman! I repaired the net" called Yuki.
The fisherman looked well at the net. "You have repaired it well. It's much better than before. You saved it. Thank you very much." he said.
"Not really, sorry for making a not too good job" answered Yuki.
"Where are you going?" asked the fisherman.
"I'm going to the big town to look for fortune" answered Yuki.
"Please persevere" said the fisherman. [mm]
"I'll persevere" said Yuki
"Please, take half of the shellfishes as a sign of gratitude" said the fisherman.
"I cannot take them" said Yuki.
"No, it's a worthless thing. With this repaired net, I think that many fishes will be taken" said the fisherman.
"Really? Then I will take the shellfishes. Thank you very much" answered Yuki.
Then Yuki, putting the shellfishes in a sleeve, headed toward the big town
Last edited by Lego on Fri 01.26.2007 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lego

Postby Birddog » Fri 01.26.2007 7:14 am

Apache Dawn

いいえ、あまりうまくできなくてごめんなさい」とゆきは答えました.
amari is an adverb that means "not very ~" when used in a negative sentence.
umakute is the adverbial form of "umai" which means well (as in do something well) or tasty.
dekiru aswell as having the meaning "to be able" can mean "to be done/to be completed"
Therefore あまりうまくできなくて means "to not do something well" and ごめんなさい means please forgive me/sorry.

つまらないものですよ is a stock Japanese phrase used when offering a gift. It basically means "what I am giving you is really not very much/not very good", and talks the gift down so as not too seem pretentious.

Birddog
Birddog

Postby richvh » Fri 01.26.2007 9:40 am

"Kindly accept this half of a shell as a mark of gratitude, please," the fisherman said. <from replies from rich, I know this is a pearl now.>

No, the pearls come later. It isn't "half a shell" or "half a shellfish", it's "half of the (unspecified quantity of) shellfish (that I gathered while you were fixing the net)"
"I cannot receive that," Yuki said. <I need some clarification on this line>

"I can't accept those" is the more natural English phrase I was aiming for.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 01.26.2007 2:02 pm

I think that's just context; 貝の半分(or を半分+verb) should be able to mean "Half of one shellfish" given the right context. But maybe I'm wrong.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Next

Return to ゆきの物語