Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ゆきの物語 - Chapter 3

ゆきの物語 - Chapter 3

Translations of chapters from the story by our own richvh

ゆきの物語 - Chapter 3

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Sat 01.27.2007 7:11 pm

A little early, but I needed to take a break from studying Chemistry >.<
This chapter was a bit harder, but I really liked it ^_^
Two questions: what is the difference, if any, between 三回 and 三度, and is there any reason what she uses さま with 狐 and さん with 漁師?

My attempt:
Chapter 3

Meeting with the Fox

Soon Yuki came across a fox sitting by a fire, roasting a rabbit.

"Hello, Mr. Fox. I am called Yuki," said Yuki.

"Hello, Yuki," the fox replied.

"That smells really good. I'm a little hungry... excuse, Mr. Fox. If it's ok with you, why don't we split the rabbit? I have a few shellfish," Yuki said.

"Alright. If you split the shellfish, I will also give you half of my rabbit. Anyways, what is a beautiful girl like you doing traveling alone on this kind of road?" the fox asked.

“I am going to the big city to find happiness," Yuki replied.

"Try your best," the foxed said.

"I will," Yuki replied.

And Yuki began to open the shells. Yuki was very surprised. Inside every one of the shells was a big pearl.

"Um, Mr. Fox, because I offered you half of the shellfish, I will also offer you half of the pearls inside of them," Yuki said.

"I cannot receive something like that," the fox replied.

"Even though it's a grain, please accept it," Yuki said.

"I have never met such a generous and good human ever before. Alright. If the shells are a grain, I can give up some of the hair on my tail. If you ever feel you are in trouble, chant "Help" three times while holding these hairs. Then me and my family together will come and save you. You must call three times." The fox said, while pulling about 10 hairs from his tail.

"I cannot accept this," Yuki said.

"It's nothing, really," the fox said.

"Ok, in that case, I'll take it. Thank you so very much," Yuki said while giving the fox the shells and taking the fox's hairs.

While the rabbit and shellfish were being grilled, Yuki took the remaining shells and put them in her sleeves, and braided the fox’s hairs so she could make a bracelet and wound it around her wrist.

After the rabbit and the shellfish had been eaten, Yuki said, "That was an amazing meal. We've just eaten and it's inexcusable, but I will be leaving soon," said Yuki and turned towards the city.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

RE: ゆきの物語 - Chapter 3

Postby richvh » Sat 01.27.2007 9:08 pm

Two questions: what is the difference, if any, between 三回 and 三度

回 is used to count repetitious things, and 度 is used to count discrete occurences. In this case, 三回 is how many times she should say 助けて when she calls for help, and 三度 is how many times she is allowed to call for help.
and is there any reason what she uses さま with 狐 and さん with 漁師?

Fox spirits are chancy things, and though she's bold enough to ask to share his meal, she's using the more respectful さま to be on the safe side.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Sat 01.27.2007 10:25 pm

Oh, I see. I understand now. Thank you!!
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Birddog » Sun 01.28.2007 12:37 am

A Foxy Encounter

Soon Yuki met a fox, seated next to an crackling fire, roasting a rabbit.

"Hello Mr.Fox. I'm Yuki" said Yuki.

"Hello Yuki" replied the fox.

Yuki continued "What a delicious smell. I'm a bit hungry...oh pardon my manners Mr.Fox. If it's okay, can I share the rabbit with you? I've got some shellfish aswell"

"Okay, If you give me some shellfish, I'll give you some rabbit. By the way, Why's a beautiful girl like you, travelling alone on a road like this?" asked the fox.

"I'm on my way to the big city to find happiness" replied Yuki

"Don't lose hope" said the fox.

"I won't" replied Yuki

After that, Yuki began to open the shellfish. Yuki was very surprised. In each shellfish was a big pearl.

Ohh Mr.Fox, because I'm sharing the shellfish with you, I will also share the pearls inside with you" said Yuki

"I could never take them" replied the fox.

"Then please take at least one" said Yuki.

I've never once met a person as generous as you. As I'll take one pearl from you, I'll give you some fur from my tail. If you ever feel that your life is in danger, say "Help Me" three times, while touching the fur. With that, I and my family will come to your aid.

You can call up to 3 times the fox said while plucking about 10 hairs from his tail.

"I can't accept them" said Yuki.

"It not much really" said the fox.

While the rabbit was roasting, Yuki put the remaining pearls in her sleeve and wrapped the fox's tail hair around her wrist as a bracelet.

After the two had eaten the rabbit and shellfish, Yuki thanked the fox for the meal, apologized for her gluttony ;), bid him farewell, and set off for the city.

Birddog
Birddog

Postby Lego » Sun 06.03.2007 12:19 pm

here's my version too.
After posting I'll read the other versions, so I think I'll get most of the errors alone :)

Soon Yuki was near a fox who was cooking a rabbit, sitting near a fire.
"Goodmorning, mr Fox. I'm called Yuki", said Yuki.
"Goodmorning, dear Yuki", answered the fox.
"This is really a good smell. I'm a little hungry, sorry mr.fox. Can you divide that rabbit? But I just have some shellfishes", said Yuki.
"All right. If you give me half of the shellfishes, I will give you half of the rabbit. Why is a beautiful girl travelling alone in this place?" said the fox.
"I'm here as I'm going to the capital to look for fortune", answered Yuki.
"Insist", said the fox.
"I will", answered Yuki.
Then Yuki started to open the shellfishes. Yuki was totally surprised. Inside each shellfish there was a huge pearl.
"Mr fox, as I offered you half of the shellfishes, I'll give you half of the pearls", said Yuki.
"I can't receive it", answered the fox.
"Please accept just one of them", said Yuki.
"It's the first time I've met someone as generous as you. All right. If you'll give me a pearl, I'll give you some fur from my tail. If you feel that you're in danger, while holding the fur, say "help" three times. I'll come together with my family to help you. It's ok to call 3 times (?)", said the fox while taking about 10 hairs from its tail.
"I can't take such a precious thing", said Yuki.
"It's not a precious thing", said the fox.
"... Thank you very much", said Yuki while taking the hairs from the fox's tail and giving the pearl to the fox.
While cooking the rabbit and the shellfishes, Yuki put the remaining pearls in the sleeve, and tied together the fox's fur to make a bracelet.
After that the two of them finished eating the rabbit and the shellfishes, Yuki said "that was delicious. bla bla bla" while heading toward the city.

I guess next time I'll make a much more free translation... it's really ugly this way :p
Lego

Return to ゆきの物語