Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ゆきの物語 - Chapter 7

ゆきの物語 - Chapter 7

Translations of chapters from the story by our own richvh

ゆきの物語 - Chapter 7

Postby Lego » Mon 06.25.2007 4:55 pm

Another chapter is done! I feel a bit lonely... it would be much more useful if someone else was doing it. I can't always hope for richvh to read every post and write all that's wrong :p
Come on, join me! It's a very useful experience (and not as hard as I thought... using a bit of fantasy sometimes :P)
The things I like very much about this, is the fact that I'm learning new words (even if as low as 1 or 2 per chapter) and gaining confidence with the grammar structures without much effort (I'm not studying them, just translating the chapter)

CHAPTER 7 - SHOPPING

The next morning Yuki woke up early. Having put on the old clothes, she began to clean the onsen. However, having seen Yuki cleaning, the landlady said: "It's not necessary that the town's best tea ceremony artist do such things. Put away those old clothes, put on the silk kimono, and let's do some shopping. Please take the pearls".
Perhaps because the Okami was concerned about Yuki's background, on the way to the market she asked a lot of questions about it.
"Where have you studied the tea ceremony?" she asked.
"Actually I've learnt the tea ceremony from my grandmother" answered Yuki.
"What about your parents?" asked the landlady.
"They both died soon after my birth" answered Yuki.
"Really? How old are you?
(just guessing from the answer :/)" asked the landlady.
"This year I'll turn 17" answered yuki.
"Really? Could you tell me your grondmother's name?" asked the landlady.
When Yuki told her the grandmother's name, they reached the first shop.
In the moment that the landlady asked:"That surname...", the shopkeeper came out to the front of the store.
"Oh, shopkeeper, this is Yuki, the new skillful te ceremony artist" she said.
Then, walking around, the landlady introduced Yuki to the shopkeepers one after the other.
(maybe this one is not very correct)
Before long, the new tea ceremony artist was on the mouth of all the inhabitants of the city.
All the people who went to the onsen and saw Yuki's tea ceremony was surprised, and praised her ability.
Several days after, the onsen was still bustling with people.

EDIT: added the last paragraph. The last sentence was a VERY free translation, as I couldn't get the middle part :p
Last edited by Lego on Tue 06.26.2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lego

RE: ゆきの物語 - Chapter 7

Postby richvh » Mon 06.25.2007 5:14 pm

Not bad (good guess on the "how old are you" bit, and the last part is more like "walked to every shop, introducing Yuki to the shopkeepers"), but you left out the last paragraph.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Lego » Mon 06.25.2007 5:22 pm

richvh wrote:
Not bad (good guess on the "how old are you" bit, and the last part is more like "walked to every shop, introducing Yuki to the shopkeepers"), but you left out the last paragraph.

lol... in fact it looked a bit too short when I wrote it here :D
Lego

Postby Lego » Wed 06.27.2007 4:39 pm

a little question about chapter 8
the only meaning for 老中 I could find, is "member of the council of the elders"
but it seems a bit strange to me that the lord's son asks an elder to go to the onsen to look for yuki :p
せがた三四郎、せがた三四郎、
セガサターン、シロ!
Lego

Postby richvh » Wed 06.27.2007 5:01 pm

My original concept was that he was the prince's tutor. He evolved into something more like a chamberlain.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Lego » Wed 06.27.2007 5:08 pm

richvh wrote:
My original concept was that he was the prince's tutor. He evolved into something more like a chamberlain.

oh, thanks for the quick reply (as always) :)

p.s. I hate how the prince could skip all the other people's reservation just because he's the prince! grrr
:D
せがた三四郎、せがた三四郎、
セガサターン、シロ!
Lego

Return to ゆきの物語