Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Genki Answer Key Necessary?

Genki Answer Key Necessary?

Discussions for those using the Genki Textbook series

Genki Answer Key Necessary?

Postby Simon86 » Tue 01.15.2008 1:33 pm

Hi, I have a quick question for anyone that happens to be studying from the Genki textbooks.

I've just ordered Genki 1 : An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese and the Genki 1 Workbook from thejapanshop.com, which I'm very pleased with because of the cheap prices and all the happy comments from previous customers.

I thought about ordering the Genki Answer Key book aswell, but it was out of stock. Is it really necessary to have? Can I make do without it or am I going to get stuck and frustrated?

Thanks
Simon86

RE: Genki Answer Key Necessary?

Postby everdream » Tue 01.15.2008 2:17 pm

Well, if you are learning by yourself, then yes, I would say you need it.
Because, as it showed when I was working through genki 2, sometimes, mistakes are made, and you do not know you have made these untill you have checked your answers.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby clay » Tue 01.15.2008 3:10 pm

Sorry we are out of stock! I hope to get more in this week.

I agree with Everdream--if you are studying by yourself, it would be helpful. Plus it has the answers for both textbooks and workbooks. If you have a teacher, though, you may not need it.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Kisshu » Tue 01.15.2008 3:24 pm

Against what the other two are saying, I give a definate no. I bought it... it doesn't come in remotely useful until perhaps Genki II.

The reason for this is that they use Kanji. And I mean, some serious kanji. I'd say 88% of all of the Kanji, you don't even start to learn until a lot later on. >__>

So, unless you plan on translating a lot of the kanji, then I would say no.
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby Simon86 » Tue 01.15.2008 3:51 pm

Ah ok, that doesn't matter, I can order it when it comes in stock.

I am currently studying alone, which is sometimes hard because I have to motivate myself lol. Eventually I will be getting a college course in Japanese, but for now I'm going solo.

Thanks for your replies :)
Simon86

Postby Kisshu » Tue 01.15.2008 3:58 pm

no prob! that's exactly what I'm doing... actually, I'm taking a placement test next week to get into a Japanese class at a college... i'm quite nervouuuusss~!
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby everdream » Tue 01.15.2008 5:33 pm

Kisshu wrote:
Against what the other two are saying, I give a definate no. I bought it... it doesn't come in remotely useful until perhaps Genki II.

The reason for this is that they use Kanji. And I mean, some serious kanji. I'd say 88% of all of the Kanji, you don't even start to learn until a lot later on. >__>

So, unless you plan on translating a lot of the kanji, then I would say no.

That said, usually with me, it's grammar mistakes I make. And the grammar is almost always kana expressions, so even if I can't read the words, I can read their endings ect and see where I went wrong.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby burstandbloom » Tue 01.15.2008 6:14 pm

I think the answer key is excellent, teacher or no teacher. I take a class that uses Genki, and I still use the answer key for things in the workbook(or did, we just finished Genki II last semester). I do all the questions in the workbook and check my answers in the answer key, and after seeing your mistakes and what's written in there, it really helps you to understand more. I didn't start using it until Genki II however, and like Kisshu said it's really heavy with kanji, so it's not exactly like a cheat sheet even if you wanted to use it like that (not saying you do: )). I stlll think though that if you're doing Genki I you should still be able to handle the kanji that are in the answer key, most of the stuff is super easy to find in the textbook but once you get to Genki II they're actually a little harder to go fishing for.
Last edited by burstandbloom on Tue 01.15.2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby p-chan » Wed 01.16.2008 6:56 am

how about the audio track ?
Last edited by p-chan on Wed 01.16.2008 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
p-chan

Return to Genki Textbook