Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Genki CD

Genki CD

Discussions for those using the Genki Textbook series

Genki CD

Postby bonobio » Sat 02.09.2008 10:40 am

Hi all,

I bought the elementary Genki textbook and the workbook. Now I'm thinking that The CD is important. Is it worth getting the CD? Is this something that I'd also be able to listen to while on a treadmill, or do I need to hear it while reading the text?
Any advice is appreciated. ;)
bonobio

RE: Genki CD

Postby Algoze » Sat 02.09.2008 3:30 pm

I got it to. I don't think it is a must. But it helps. Its aslo nice listening how they pronounce the words etc...
Hope other people can explain it better, I haven't really used the cd so much yet.
Algoze

Postby Kisshu » Sat 02.09.2008 4:07 pm

YES. I can NOT emphasize this enough. If you EVER want to enter a classroom setting, it will be extrememly hard if not impossible to have good enough speaking skills without it.

It would be possible doing on the treadmill. It is my recommendation that you memorize the dialogue to help you beocme comfortable with the types of grammer used. Trust me, memorizing the dialogue helps a lot.

You can also use it to help with pronounciation/memorization of vocabulary.

However, it is my recommendation that you buy the teachers set. The student CD set has only the Dialogue/Vocab/Workbook. Not the practice excercises.

The teacher's set has all of those plus the dialogue with pauses for memorization AND the practice section. However, the teacher set is about $150 more than the student set. If that is too much money for you, I still DEFINATELY recommend buying the student set.

If you buy the teachers set, you need the book handy for the practice section and the workbook section. If you have the student set, all you need the book for is the workbook section.

The cheapest place to get either student or teacher set is http://www.thejapanshop.com. Good luck with your Genki!
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby Stitchface » Sat 02.09.2008 4:23 pm

Since i was also wondering about this (But was too hesitant to start a new thread)
I assume i am correct in thinking that the teachers set is the 6 CD set, is that correct?
I don't see any invisible walls.
Stitchface

Postby bonobio » Sat 02.09.2008 6:47 pm

Stitchface wrote:
Since i was also wondering about this (But was too hesitant to start a new thread)
I assume i am correct in thinking that the teachers set is the 6 CD set, is that correct?

Sure, make me do all the dirty work :D

Thanks for the replies. Kisshu, that was informative. I think it's the student set for me then. As much as I would love the dialogue excercises...especially with the pauses, I don't think I can justify the expense yet to my wife. ;)
bonobio

Return to Genki Textbook