Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Just started...

Just started...

Discussions for those using the Genki Textbook series

Just started...

Postby fragilefigure » Sun 08.22.2010 2:15 pm

Okay, so I have just begun with the Genki book (last night, to be exact) and it seems to be going very quickly. I am almost done learning hiragana and have not even started on katakana, so I am not very far in my studies, but I was still taken aback by how well it expects me to know hiragana by the first lesson. At least, it seems that way to me.

Should I be at a high standard in my hiragana and katakana before I even open up this text book? Or should I just try to plow through as I am still solidifying my knowledge?
fragilefigure

Native language: English

Re: Just started...

Postby ピーター » Sun 08.22.2010 3:26 pm

Doesn't Genki have romaji for the first lesson? I seem to recall it having romaji for all kana in the first lesson, and romaji for katakana in the second. I think it's definitely worth learning your hiragana as well as possible before you start, but don't get too worked up about katakana. Maybe go through all the katakana, but don't get worried if you can't recall some and have to look it up as you go along.
ピーター

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Sun 08.22.2010 6:22 pm

Genki I has romaji for basically all kana (hiragana and katakana) up to the end of the 2nd chapter. That's the first 53 pages of the textbook.

It also shows furigana for all new kanji until you should be able to recognize them etc.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Curry_Girl » Wed 10.13.2010 7:42 pm

Genki is a set. If you havn't purchased the work book with it this might be why it surprised you. You don't need the work book, but it hs a section in the back to practice. Sme with the text book. In the back of both books, there is another twelve sections dedicated to writing. Each one will go with the grammar sections. :colonthree:
Curry_Girl

Native language: American English

Return to Genki Textbook