Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question about genki 1 (I have the 2nd edition version)

Question about genki 1 (I have the 2nd edition version)

Discussions for those using the Genki Textbook series

Question about genki 1 (I have the 2nd edition version)

Postby Shiroisan » Mon 03.21.2011 1:05 am

I heard this book is one of the (if not THEE) best Japanese textbooks available, so I figured the pacing must be pretty good... but instead of learning basic things to begin with like household objects/ colours or simple things like that, I'm given lists of university majors to memorize??? What's up with that?? Like, how likely is it that I'm going to find situations in every day life to help memorize the word for "International relations" (Kokusaikankee). It just seems so bizzare to me. Do you guys think that it's better to skip those sorts of complicated words at the beginning so that you can move on to learn more basic words or is it better to absorb absolutely everything before moving on?
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Re: Question about genki 1 (I have the 2nd edition version)

Postby shigihito » Mon 03.21.2011 3:24 am

How do you check which edition you have? Anyway, I've also used Genki I, and the only majors we've had to memorize in the beginning are history, economics, business, computer, and Japanese. These aren't really used much outside of certain descriptions of the characters in the book; age, major, occupation, nationality, etc.

It could probably just be your edition. I have a feeling you're learning by yourself. In that case, it'd be OK to skip the majors. This is a very good book, I hope you enjoy it.
shigihito

Native language: English

Postby Dustin » Wed 03.23.2011 2:49 am

The covers of the 1st and second edition are quite different, and the second edition JUST came out.

The textbook is oriented around students, and id aimed for college kids taking the course in school. This is why they have so much school oriented vocabulary.

It's really up to you whether you want to learn them or not. The parts are useful as building blocks and getting familiar with more of the language, but not necessarily essential to know.

My only worry is the book referencing vocabulary you SHOULD know, and having to look it up. If you're ok with that, by all means skip it if you don't think you'll use it. ( By skip I mean don't memorize, but going over it briefly id a good idea at least )
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby Shiroisan » Thu 03.24.2011 1:21 am

Thanks for the responses.

Especially considering what Dustin said about the fact that the book references these words later, I figure I'd feel pretty unfluent/dumb if I didn't recognize words the book thought I should know by that time, so I've decided to memorize everything before continuing to read on for every section.

I mean, you've got to learn the complicated words sooner or later right? So why not sooner. It just took a few extra minutes and now I've got that vocabulary page down pat. :colonthree:
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby Zvono11 » Sun 03.27.2011 11:18 am

I have a question about Genki 1. I would like to take the JLPT N5 or N4. Is it enough, to pass through Genki 1 to be able to pass the exam? I mean on vocabulary and grammar? Or should I take some more lessons,....
PSN ID: Zvono

日本の車が大すきです.
Zvono11

Native language: Croatian

Return to Genki Textbook