Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Why we don't do Japanese tattoos

Why we don't do Japanese tattoos

Help build Wagawiki! Discuss additions, ask for help, and learn about this community project.

Why we don't do Japanese tattoos

Postby coco » Mon 07.20.2009 8:56 pm

I've heard new information and confirmed that it is true.
I think it is worthy to add the following warning to the article.
Could someone help me for correcting my poor English please?
I don't know if the word "tattoo" needs an indefinite article "a" or plural "(tattoo)s". :roll:
Thank you.

-----(Draft)---
Generally, a person who has tattoo will be in trouble when s/he needs to purchase a life insurance policy in Japan. Even though s/he can buy a life insurance, in Japan, it is considered legal that a life insurance company refuses the insurance payment for a insured person who has tattoo.
---------------
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Re: Why we don't do Japanese tattoos

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 07.20.2009 9:36 pm

coco wrote:I've heard new information and confirmed that it is true.
I think it is worthy to add the following warning to the article.
Could someone help me for correcting my poor English please?
I don't know if the word "tattoo" needs an indefinite article "a" or plural "(tattoo)s". :roll:
Thank you.

-----(Draft)---
Generally, a person who has tattoo will be in trouble when s/he needs to purchase a life insurance policy in Japan. Even though s/he can buy a life insurance, in Japan, it is considered legal that a life insurance company refuses the insurance payment for a insured person who has tattoo.
---------------

It should be "a tattoo" (or "tattoos" is OK too) -- also "a life insurance" should be "a life insurance policy" or just "life insurance". でもよく書けていますね。 :)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Tue 07.21.2009 12:26 am

Generally, a person who has a tattoo will be in trouble if they need to purchase a life insurance policy in Japan. Even though they can buy a life insurance policy, in Japan it is considered legal for a life insurance company to refuse an insurance payment for an insured person who has a tattoo.

Maybe something more like that? Hopefully this doesn't devolve into a conversation about gender neutral singular "they". ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.21.2009 9:43 am

coco wrote:
-----(Draft)---
Generally, a person who has a tattoo will have trouble when s/he needs to purchase a life insurance policy in Japan. Even though s/he can buy a life insurance policy, in Japan, it is considered legal that a life insurance company can refuse an insurance payment for an insured person who has tattoo.
---------------

I think can refuse shows that there is the option for the Life insurance company to do it, so I've adjusted the sentence with my change in red..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby coco » Tue 07.21.2009 5:36 pm

Yudan さん、Phreadomさん、Two_heads_talkingさん
どうもありがとうございました。 みなさんに直していただいて助かりました。 :)

Phreadom-san, thank you for the input about "they" as a gender- neutral-singular usage.

two_heads_talking wrote:
coco wrote:-----(Draft)---
Generally, a person who has a tattoo will have trouble when s/he needs to purchase a life insurance policy in Japan. Even though s/he can buy a life insurance policy, in Japan, it is considered legal that a life insurance company can refuse an insurance payment for an insured person who has tattoo.
---------------

I think can refuse shows that there is the option for the Life insurance company to do it, so I've adjusted the sentence with my change in red..

Yes, thank you for pointing it out! :) I should have put "can".

----
I edited the article.

-- Generally, a person who has a tattoo will have trouble if they need to purchase a life insurance policy in Japan. Even though they can buy a life insurance policy, in Japan it is considered legal that a life insurance company can refuse an insurance payment for an insured person who has a tattoo.

-- Some hospitals in Japan will not give an MRI exam for a tattooed person because several type of tattoo inks can cause a burn on their tattoo.

Is "their" in the second paragraph correct?
Any comments would be appreciated.
coco

Postby phreadom » Tue 07.21.2009 8:58 pm

coco wrote:
-- Generally, a person who has a tattoo will have trouble if they need to purchase a life insurance policy in Japan. Even though they can buy a life insurance policy, in Japan it is considered legal that a life insurance company can refuse an insurance payment for an insured person who has a tattoo.

-- Some hospitals in Japan will not give an MRI exam for a tattooed person because several type of tattoo inks can cause a burn on their tattoo.

Is "their" in the second paragraph correct?
Any comments would be appreciated.

-- Some hospitals in Japan will not give an MRI exam for a tattooed person because several types of tattoo ink can cause a burn on their tattoo.

Yes, the "their" was correct... however, however "type of tattoo inks" should be "types of tattoo ink". :) The rest looks good to me. :D
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby coco » Tue 07.21.2009 9:24 pm

phreadom wrote:

-- Some hospitals in Japan will not give an MRI exam for a tattooed person because several types of tattoo ink can cause a burn on their tattoo.

Yes, the "their" was correct... however, however "type of tattoo inks" should be "types of tattoo ink". :) The rest looks good to me. :D

Phreadomさん、ありがとうございます。 :) I corrected the article.

みなさん、これからもご指導のほどよろしくお願いいたします。
coco

Postby john2 » Thu 10.08.2009 5:38 am

*puts hands up*
I think the right usage is to use can and may.
john2

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 10.08.2009 6:00 am

Hey, john2!! Haven't seen you around here for a while!
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Return to Wagawiki