Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - New Page/ Addition to current textbook page

New Page/ Addition to current textbook page

Help build Wagawiki! Discuss additions, ask for help, and learn about this community project.

New Page/ Addition to current textbook page

Postby leonl » Wed 12.23.2009 1:31 am

I would like to get some thoughts about this idea of mine. Between textbooks and grammar guides there exist this sort of hybrid-style text. These books tend to lack things like vocabulary lists, chapter dialouges, workbooks, and audio compenents making them unsuited to be someones first textbook, yet they also lack the depth of traditional grammar guides, making them poor grammar books. Furthermore they tend to be targeted at JLPT 3 learners, though organization of the material is somewhat random I'm reffering to books like

200 Essential Japanese Expressions

Understanding Basic Japanese Grammar

Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication

I propose we add a new page/section to the wiki talking about these types of books and how they are different from your standard textbooks. The section could talk about who the audience for these books are and how they can be used in your study of Japanese. I own the three books I linked, so I could provide reviews/details if necessary. I just want to get some ideas/opinions about this before I start
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Re: New Page/ Addition to current textbook page

Postby tōkai devotee » Wed 12.23.2009 7:27 am

That's not actually a bad idea. I think it can be just as helpful, if not more helpful, to know which books are "poor grammar guides". I have found that in teaching my kids it really helps to know what books are not useful or don't work for people and of course, to know the reasons why they don't work.
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Re: New Page/ Addition to current textbook page

Postby leonl » Wed 12.23.2009 8:04 am

tokai devotee wrote:That's not actually a bad idea. I think it can be just as helpful, if not more helpful, to know which books are "poor grammar guides". I have found that in teaching my kids it really helps to know what books are not useful or don't work for people and of course, to know the reasons why they don't work.

Thanks for the support. Expanding on this idea it might be good if we had a page on grammar books, with a section about these particular types of books.

Also I just wanted to make clear I'm not bashing these hybrid books or anything, in fact as I own three I quite like them.

Sample Entry Format

Japanese Sentence Patterns For Effective Communicate
Author: Taeko Kamiya, Pages 311, Target Audience: Beginner
This guide has 142 grammar patterns, separated into twelve chapters. Each grammar point is explained in English, followed by 3-5 examples. Exercises consist of English sentences that must be translated into Japanese. Of all the grammar/text hybrids this one is the easiest to use. Grammar covered is equivalent to that of an elementary Japanese course. Lacks audio, too few exercises. No furigana, but all sentences have roomaji written directly underneath.
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Return to Wagawiki