Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A Japanese/English dictionary with Linux/KDE?

A Japanese/English dictionary with Linux/KDE?

AKA Geek talk - discuss technology in general; this may or may not relate to Japanese

A Japanese/English dictionary with Linux/KDE?

Postby Roy Candler » Mon 08.03.2009 10:08 am

Here's the problem. I'm making the jump to hyperspace (WinXP -> Linux) and would like the PC to have a Japanese/English dictionary on it, like EDICT/ENAMDICT that I've been using on Windows for years.

The OS is Mandriva 2009 Spring with KDE4.2. Displaying Japanese text is no problem, and with scim-anthy I can do Japanese input as well. The only J-E dictionary I've found on searching the web requires GNOME - and as I'm only just getting the hang of KDE I'm reluctant to make the change, particulary as I've no idea how to do it or whether it would upset the system as it stands.

And yes, I know there are online dictionaries, I'd just like to have one on the PC. Has anyone else managed it?

Roy
Roy Candler

Native language: English

Re: A Japanese/English dictionary with Linux/KDE?

Postby phreadom » Mon 08.03.2009 10:39 am

Does Mandriva have the gnome libraries installed? I think most of the modern Linux distros have the libraries etc for both KDE and Gnome applications to be able to run fine. They're simply set to use one or the other as the main desktop with their associated suite of applications.

I'd go ahead and try the Gnome applications and see if they work. :)

You could of course also use Jim Breens JDICT on-line as well. :) http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi- ... dic.cgi?1C

All you'd need for that is your web browser. :D

I'm sure others here can offer other suggestions as well, but those are mine off the top of my head.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Roy Candler » Mon 08.03.2009 2:56 pm

phreadom wrote:Does Mandriva have the gnome libraries installed? I think most of the modern Linux distros have the libraries etc for both KDE and Gnome applications to be able to run fine. They're simply set to use one or the other as the main desktop with their associated suite of applications.

I'd go ahead and try the Gnome applications and see if they work. :)

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to get Gnome going, but it doesn't look simple - though being new to the game, I'm bound to be struggling over "simple" things. I've started a thread on LinuxQuestions.org, so should get there eventually.

And yes, I could access online dictionaries but . . . maybe I'm just being awkward, but I like to have one on the PC. And my budget won't run to a pocket electronic dictionary.

When I get this sorted, I'll post the result as someone else is bound to have the same problem at some time.

Roy
Roy Candler

Postby phreadom » Mon 08.03.2009 3:43 pm

What I'm saying is that you might not need to install all of "Gnome", or switch your entire environment to it etc.

Gnome stuff relies on a few key libraries like GTK+ etc... whereas KDE stuff relies on QT etc.

Generally I think modern distros include these basic libraries so that even if you're running KDE, you can still install a single Gnome app and it should run fine.

(Don't quote me on this though... I haven't used Linux much lately as my current wifi card isn't fully supported, and my girlfriend doesn't like me stealing her USB one. So I'm a little rough on the details.) ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby ニッキー » Mon 08.03.2009 3:51 pm

ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby Roy Candler » Mon 08.03.2009 4:39 pm

Got there quicker than expected! By using "Software install & Remove", installed loads of gnome stuff (omitting the packages that obviously were not needed), then logged out. Someone had mentioned a KDM menu, which meant nothing to me at the time, but at the login screen there's a notepad-and-pencil icon which, when clicked, brings up a menu with GNOME on it. I'm now using it, and pleased to find that Japanese input is still possible (I half-expected to have lost it), so am now starting to find my way around this new environment. Will set about getting a dictionary tomorrow.

Thanks, ニッキー, for the link to kiten. I've added it to "favourites" as I might consider it later.

Roy
Roy Candler

Postby Hark » Tue 08.04.2009 4:40 am

You can use Gnome applications in KDE and vice versa as long as you have all required libraries installed. Most simple way how to achieve this is to open 'Software Install & Remove' you already mentioned and select your Gnome application for installation. The installation tool should be smart enough to automatically select all dependencies for installation as well. Usually when using package tools, it's easy to keep system consistent, as they at least inform you if you're trying to install something with dependencies not met.

To sum up - if you install the dictionary from 'S I & R' tool, you should get everything necessary for it to run (in any desktop environment).
Hark

Native language: Slovenčina (Slovak)

Postby Roy Candler » Thu 08.06.2009 10:23 am

Some progress made, in that I now have JMDict fro StarDict (see below). Only one problem . . . I really need a kanji dictionary with radical lookup, as I used to have with JWPce, and this dictionary doesn't seem to have one. Further searching reveals the existence of Gjiten, which derives from Jim Breen's work and which seems to have all the features I need. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be in the Mandriva repos, so I don't know how to proceed from there.

Regarding StarDict . . . now that I have Gnome installed, a search in "I&R S/ware" shows StarDict Japanese/English and English/Japanese dictionaries available. I downloaded and installed stardict-jmdict-en-ja and stardict-ja-en. The I&R S/ware realised that I'd need the StarDict application itself, so included it in the "dependencies". Once installed, I experimented with it and yes, it works. I had a bit of trouble at first as the dictionary results were mainly Chinese stuff which I didn't want, but that was easily put right. Under "Manage dictionaries" the default settings include 'Dict.cn' and 'Gucharmap', and once they were unchecked I got Japanese and English only. So far, so good.

I'm now wondering if any Mandriva user has successfully installed Gjiten.
Roy Candler

Postby ニッキー » Thu 08.06.2009 2:23 pm

You might want to check out gWaei. Gjiten isn't being developed anymore it seems, so someone created gWaei to replace it.

For gWaei, I think you need gwaei-1.0-1.i386.rpm from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gwaei/files/
There are RPMs for SuSE and FC4 on http://gjiten.sourceforge.net/ which might work, but I don't know how compatible they are with Mandriva.
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby Roy Candler » Fri 08.07.2009 2:18 pm

Thanks! I'd seen gWaei mentioned, but wasn't sure whether it had the kanji feature. I can see now that it does.

There doesn't seem to be a Mandriva-compatible rpm for it, but I've downloaded the tar.gz file so it should be possible to create it manually. This will involve getting the dictionary files as well, of course. I'll have a go and post the result, once it's up and running. This could take some time . . .

Meanwhile, my Japanese studies are on hold. Not enough brain-power available for Japanese AND linux together.

Roy
Roy Candler

Postby Roy Candler » Wed 08.12.2009 3:25 pm

Well, there's progress to report. Had to fix several dependencies before the tarball would compile, then when trying to make the rpm it threw out an error I couldn't fathom so I raised a query on linuxquestions.org, where I got a helpful reply (turned out I didn't have 'make-rpm' installed). Once that was sorted, and the result installed via Software Manager, I had a working dictionary.

Some problems remain, though. The Help feature doesn't work, nor does the Glossary. Also, it would be useful to change the font . . . but for the time being, I have a working dictionary with kanji radical lookup and I am finding out how to use it in the traditional manner, that's to say by using it and figuring it out as I go. The ability to use a (western-style) fullstop as a wild card does work and is useful.

I might have another attempt some day, as I believe there is a later version which I couldn't find, meanwhile I'll give it a rest and carry on with learning Japanese.

Roy
Roy Candler

Postby phreadom » Wed 08.12.2009 3:42 pm

Good to hear! :D One of these days when my wifi is supported I'm sure I'll be venturing back into Linux, at which time I'll be looking for the same kinds of tools. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Roy Candler » Sat 08.15.2009 5:57 am

And finally . . .

Complete success! My Gnome installation was incomplete, which accounts for the missing features such as Help in gWaei. Installed the missing parts of Gnome this morning, and gWaei now runs perfectly.

Roy
Roy Candler

Postby phreadom » Sat 08.15.2009 6:07 am

Roy Candler wrote:And finally . . .

Complete success! My Gnome installation was incomplete, which accounts for the missing features such as Help in gWaei. Installed the missing parts of Gnome this morning, and gWaei now runs perfectly.

Roy

おめでとう! :D I was going to ask for a screenshot, but I see them on http://gwaei.sourceforge.net/
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Stone_Cold » Tue 09.08.2009 5:04 am

How accurate is the dictionary you posted? That’s if you've used the dictionary. I use both Linux and XP. I'm still annoyed with Linux KDE being so unstable/buggy and having to switch from Kubuntu to Ubuntu. My Linux OS’s still not running quite right with my equipment; which’s new. I'm considering purchasing Red Hat Linux to go with XP (Windows 7) still on my primary drive. However, after having so many problems and lack of support--I'm very hesitant to purchase anything Linux. “:^( I'm thinking because it’s a free version of Linux; and I hope I’m not wrong about that. I’m not sure if you switched entirely to Linux or not, but I highly recommend to advanced users that you also have Microsoft Windows XP or/& Apple Macintosh installed on your computer unless it’s not able to support multi-booting or virtualization.

And finally . . .

Roy

I’m glad to hear everything is working well now on your computer. Have you had any issues using your Linux other than what you just previously posted?
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Native language: 英語

Next

Return to Computers & Technology