Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A Japanese/English dictionary with Linux/KDE?

A Japanese/English dictionary with Linux/KDE?

AKA Geek talk - discuss technology in general; this may or may not relate to Japanese

Re: A Japanese/English dictionary with Linux/KDE?

Postby ニッキー » Tue 09.08.2009 9:58 am

Stone_Cold wrote:How accurate is the dictionary you posted? That’s if you've used the dictionary.

gjiten, kiten and gwaei all use EDICT, which is also what http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi- ... dic.cgi?1C uses. I don't speak Japanese well enough to say how accurate it really is, but given the amount of work put into it and the number of people using it, it must be good enough. :)
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby phreadom » Tue 09.08.2009 6:47 pm

Stone_Cold wrote:How accurate is the dictionary you posted? That’s if you've used the dictionary. I use both Linux and XP. I'm still annoyed with Linux KDE being so unstable/buggy and having to switch from Kubuntu to Ubuntu. My Linux OS’s still not running quite right with my equipment; which’s new. I'm considering purchasing Red Hat Linux to go with XP (Windows 7) still on my primary drive. However, after having so many problems and lack of support--I'm very hesitant to purchase anything Linux. “:^( I'm thinking because it’s a free version of Linux; and I hope I’m not wrong about that. I’m not sure if you switched entirely to Linux or not, but I highly recommend to advanced users that you also have Microsoft Windows XP or/& Apple Macintosh installed on your computer unless it’s not able to support multi-booting or virtualization.

And finally . . .

Complete success! My Gnome installation was incomplete, which accounts for the missing features such as Help in gWaei. Installed the missing parts of Gnome this morning, and gWaei now runs perfectly.

Roy

I’m glad to hear everything is working well now on your computer. Have you had any issues using your Linux other than what you just previously posted?

I don't know where all your problems with Linux are coming from. As far as I know the paid versions only include extras such as install media, hard copy documentation, and some form of 'professional' support etc.

Short of purchasing an enterprise version with some special add-ons, there really shouldn't be any difference between what you buy and what you download and burn on a CD yourself, and you shouldn't be having stability issues like that unless you have bad / defective hardware, or you're trying to use some 'nightly build' or alpha quality development release etc.

The only issues I've had with Ubuntu were when I was trying to use a nightly build to see if my particular 802.11N PCI wifi card was fully supported yet. When running stable releases I don't really have any trouble.

(From the amount of trouble you have on that machine even in windows (as you've oft mentioned in the past in the chat etc), I'd be more inclined to point the finger at your own computer when it comes to assigning blame.)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 09.10.2009 12:10 am

Nah, it's just were I'm always changing something and I'm not familiar with Linux yet. I've fixed those issues in Windows and it's running perfectly. Much better than the original software did (modified windows). Everything with my Windows now (not previously) runs with equal performance or slightly faster than Linux. I've made several deep changes over long periods of time to reach it. Though, I still need Linux and I've upgraded to Ubuntu Studio through command. My problems with Windows are over now; until Win7 that is. ":^( It never stops with Windows. XD
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Native language: 英語

Postby Roy Candler » Sat 09.12.2009 4:49 pm

Ah, you were asking about my experience of gWaei. It took a little while to get used to, after years of using JWPce under Windows, but yes, it works fine and, as pointed out by ニッキー, its dictionaries are from EDICT so no problems there. A few surplus "/" characters in the English definitions, but I understand there's a later version, which I haven't looked for let alone tried to install, so that may have been corrected by now. Also, when I was compiling it from the tarball, a linux expert found a build process flaw - again, that might have been dealt with since. I wonder if any other TJP user has experience of this program?

As to Linux itself, I'm using Mandriva 2009 Spring edition, with GNOME, and I have some minor problems which appear GNOME-related, though I suspect they are largely self-inflicted (that's another story). Whether gWaei has anything to do with them or not is hard to say. Anyway, I intend reverting to KDE (which currently is missing from the options available at login time) to see what happens.

More than one person has advised switching to Ubuntu, if only for its alleged superiority where Asian languages are concerned, so that's on the Things-to-Do list for later.

Roy
Roy Candler

Native language: English

Postby Stone_Cold » Sat 09.12.2009 6:17 pm

I've had too many issues with Kubuntu being too buggy and an outright pain. I switched to Ubuntu and it was a lot better. However, I needed a lot of additional software for animation design, audio recording/editing, and etc... I typed a command into the terminal and it automaticly installed Ubuntu Studio. Ubuntu Studio completely took over the regualr Ubuntu. The only problem I've been having with Linux is my windows (not the OS) and mouse are acting wild. I've had this problem in all three installs of Linux (Kubuntu, Ubuntu, & Ubuntu Studio).
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Native language: 英語

Postby phreadom » Sat 09.12.2009 6:40 pm

Your only options are really to get a better mouse or set it to use the right driver. :P

I'm not sure it will help to change the mouse driver, but it's really your only option short of getting a different mouse. :(
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby leonrossdale » Wed 11.13.2013 8:12 am

Hey, I have heard about a Japanese Reference/Study Tool called Kiten which kad compatibility with the KDE desktop. I think this is the best tool for your purpose. Just do a Google search for Kiten Japanese Reference/Study Tool and the first result will be their official website.

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Computers & Technology