Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Traviling question?

Traviling question?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Traviling question?

Postby Stefan » Tue 12.18.2007 11:52 am

ok heres the deal, me and some of my friends (4-8 of them) are planning a invasion to tokyo (and possibly osaka). i've never been been more exicted in my life. i plan to go for 2 wks. i orginally wanted a whole month but i don't think i'll have enough money by then. anyway. i'll (hopefully be) going in Augest 2008 from the 1st to 14th/15th (whenever the 2nd week ends) but anyway i have a some of questions that i gotta ask.

oh yea if your anwsering my questions, can you do it in a numeriacal order?
like 1) blah blah
2) blah
and so on...

i value everyone's opinion so hopefully everybody can help me out.

1) how much money should i bring? (not including plane fare)

2)how much(on average) is plane fare?

3)if You had 2 wks in japan what would you do?

4) i wanna go clubbing(i prefer JAPANESE hip hop and ALL types of punk and metal).
does any one know any good clubs?

5) i also wanna buy some japanese video games(namco x capcom/kenka banchou etc)along with a japanese ps2. i heard akibahara is the place to do it. so my qusetion is does any body know any particularly good stores to visit?

6)my friend told me' ya gotta go to kabuki cho' with a sort of perverted face thing going on, on his face ya know. (i know creepy) any way what is kabuki-cho?

6A) should i be going there?

7) this isn't really a question, its more like suggestions and comments type of thing. what should i look out for, what should i check out kinda thing. any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. !!!
DOOMO ARIGATO GOZAIMASU !!!
Stefan

RE: Traviling question?

Postby saraLynne » Tue 12.18.2007 12:17 pm

1, 3, 5, 6, 7 = I can't help ya.

2) I used to work for American Airlines, so let me offer you some generic insider airline tips. Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to like what I'm gonna say.

You need to buy your tickets 3-4 months in advance. Not too early and not too late. It's volatile and annoying. The most effective strategy is determine how much you WANT to spend on airfare and call EVERY DAY until that price is available. Don't hope that it goes lower, because you may miss your window of opportunity.

Working through a travel agent rather than directly with the Airline can alleviate a lot of problems. Most travel agencies have direct access to the database that all the airlines, hotels, and car rental places share and can book flights themselves. They also tend to break the rules for cheaper fares (like impossible itineraries; that's complicated so I won't explain).

Anyway... buying a plane ticket isn't like a bus or a train. You can't hop over to the airport and grab the tickets a week before you want to go, you'll need the money together soon so you can pounce on the fare you want.

Any pricing info I might have had from working there will be obsolete, since that was 7 years ago. A generic search for some random dates is giving me @$600 round trip. Tuesday/Wednesday travel is -usually- the cheapest, so if your vacation can afford to start and end in the middle of the week, it ups your chances of cheaper fares.

You can call the airline and insist they give you the lowest fare from wherever you are to TYO (usually takes some strong insisting, as they'll want you to choose dates and flights first to price out). They can also read you the fare rules for that lowest fare so you can accommodate them (such as avoiding blackout dates, or traveling on certain days of the week like the T/W thing). Again, a travel agent can do this for you, too. Agents usually charge fees though.
saraLynne

Postby kayuu » Tue 12.18.2007 12:44 pm

I've never been to Japan, but in response to 6.

I've heard that Kabukicho is a Red-Light District (lots of sex and clubs and stuff of that sort, 24/7) and generally considered to be a bit of a bad area. I suppose it wouldn't do you any harm in checking it out if you're not scared or offended by that stuff :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabukich%C5%8D,_Tokyo
kayuu

Native language: 英語

Postby AJBryant » Tue 12.18.2007 2:35 pm

Get to know these guys: The Japanese Inn Group. The prices for inns and business hotels are lower than you will probably find on your own (but still more than Motel 6, which Japan sadly does not have).

Your first stop in Tokyo (conveniently downtown) should be the JTB office, where you can get free pamphlets and booklets listing all the members of the Japanese Economical Inn Group. Staying at these places could halve your hotel expenses.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Stefan » Tue 12.18.2007 4:26 pm

new question in addition to the rest!
8) since i dont know if my friends will have enough money by then, would it be better to go alone or wait til all(or at least a few) have the cash to go.
Stefan

Postby AJBryant » Tue 12.18.2007 4:51 pm

If your friends don't have enough money and you all still go, you will probably end up paying for a lot yourself.

It depends greatly on whether you can live down going alone (and whether they will let you), and whether you can HANDLE it. It really can be a bit of a shock if you're really not prepared.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Kerirae » Tue 12.18.2007 7:38 pm

Heh i can only help you with numba 2.

Okay the average cost for a plane ticket is about $1,400.

Its quite a bit of money, i only looked on one site, so it might cost more or it might cost less.
Kerirae

Postby Kerirae » Tue 12.18.2007 7:40 pm

Accually i just found a flight that has tickets for like $500

heres the link
http://www.cheapflights.com/flights/Tokyo/San-Diego-Intl/
Kerirae

Postby Ken Pro » Wed 12.19.2007 3:10 am

If you really want to go, don't depend on anyone else. When you have the money, buy your ticket.

I guarantee not all of your friends will be able to go. I don't know your friends, maybe they're all rich and can drop $2000 easily on a 2-week trip to Japan. But if they need to save up, trust me, they won't all be going.

Why not pick up a tour book or guidebook and start looking at things to do from there? You've listed a lot of stuff that American consumers of Japanese products are fascinated by, but there's a lot more to Japan than that.

Ask yourself how much of this trip you want to devote to your own explorations of whatever parts of the country you're curious about...and how much you want it to be just like at home with friends, having fun, only in a "Japanese" environment.

I went by myself the first time and even though it was lonely, and it would have been nice to have someone around to come up with different ideas for things to do, it was quite an experience, and I got to communicate with people I never would have met if I were with an all-American posse.
Ken Pro

Return to Japanese General Discussion