Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - kanji listed by popular use

kanji listed by popular use

Japanese, general discussion on the language

kanji listed by popular use

Postby Dehitay » Fri 12.28.2007 3:38 pm

I remember a good while ago, I found this site that listed 2000 or so kanji by the order of which are most commonly used. However, now I seem to be unable to find it or any site like it. If you know of a site like that, please give me a link
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

RE: kanji listed by popular use

Postby everdream » Fri 12.28.2007 3:53 pm

We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby Wakannai » Fri 12.28.2007 4:43 pm

Just about every Kanji Frequency list is based on newspaper usage. If you grab just about any guide, the kanji are numbered by frequency, that's what the Educational list is--a kanji frequency list based on a certain newspaper at the time.

This gives an undue weight to certian things, like dates, which are present in every article, which is why numbers, date, and kanji having to do with money are at the very top of the list, when in just about any other media they would be much further down, in this case it isn't really a problem. But looking at the kanji, you can see kanji for Business and Goverment are very high on the list, since they tend to show up in nearly every article.
Wakannai

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 12.28.2007 5:07 pm

Actually the educational list does not completely match the newspaper frequency -- there's only about an 80% overlap. Some of the kanji were chosen because they are radicals, others because they have to do with kid stuff (i.e. "inu").
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Return to Japanese General Discussion