Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese input in Ubuntu linux

Japanese input in Ubuntu linux

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Japanese input in Ubuntu linux

Postby BetterSense » Thu 04.03.2008 10:18 am

Not sure how many of you use linux, but anyway, if you do this would be the target audience. I just now got around to setting up japanese input on my desktop and the IME is different for some reason. Now, on my eeePC (Gutsy) I have nice little buttons in the system tray next to the clock for switching between direct and Anthy, and my kana input methods and stuff. But I just installed Hardy on my desktop and instead of that nice solution, there is this little SCIM panel that likes to hang out on the bottom right of the screen. Does anyone know how the difference arises and how I can get my language buttons up in my taskbar where they should be? I asked on the Ubuntu forums but I don't think very many of them use Japanese. Probably not many of you use ubuntu.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=743366
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

Re: Japanese input in Ubuntu linux

Postby richvh » Fri 04.04.2008 9:09 am

Your images don't show up; seems you have to be logged into the Ubuntu forum to see them.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby BetterSense » Fri 04.04.2008 10:22 am

Oops. Sorry about that.
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

Postby kayuu » Fri 04.04.2008 3:04 pm

Ok well my short answer would be don't use SCIM. I used SCIM when I first got Japanese running on Linux and I consider it to be a mistake. It has so many errors and glitches that I just couldn't figure out. It's a total pain to get rid of because it'll keep throwing conflicts with whatever other input system you try to use (make sure you fully uninstall it and any depending programs and revert your settings first), but I highly recommend switching to UIM which also uses Anthy and I find to be relatively glitch free and much easier to use and configure than SCIM.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JapaneseInput
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=312525
kayuu

Native language: 英語

Postby Hardi_E » Mon 04.14.2008 1:55 pm

I'm sorry for not posting to answer the question. I instead would like to know, if UIM is better also for qt apps? I'm using SCIM currently with Arch linux and KDE. It's working, but it's little weird. Maybe it is it's normal behaviour I don't know how it's meant to be. But it doesn't let to go back to change already inputted words (unless I secure the area I want change with spaces first) Some time, text forms in web pages in konqueror don't work. The cursor wont appear what ever how much I click on it and I can't input anything not japanese not normal text. May that also be because of SCIM. Maybe it's something else.

I remember I once tried to get UIM working in Mandriva using KDE but I couldn't... so I wonder, would it work at all for me.
Hardi_E

Native language: エストニアご

Postby BetterSense » Fri 04.18.2008 2:35 am

Thanks for the head-up on UIM. Now I seem to remember setting up the eeePC with UIM, and then enough time went by that my memory thought it was just like that from the get-go. It would seem the differences are due to using UIM on the eeePC and SCIM on the desktop.
BetterSense

Return to Japanese General Discussion