Are you a 僕 or an 俺?

40%
20%
40%

Total votes : 25

Re: 僕 or 俺

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 05.13.2008 4:29 pm

becki_kanou wrote:
caroline wrote:Nice insight into male torments....
One of the very few times (except the 100 one listed by Cosmo) when it's easier to be a girl, with less choice.

Maybe we don't have quite as many choices as the guys, but there are still plenty of "I"s for the ladies as well. わたくし、わたし、あたくし、あたし、あたい、うち and I've heard some little girls use 僕 or ぼくちん. And if you go far enough north you may still find some grannies who use おら. :mrgreen:

In tohoku, the females use boku and ore almost as often as the men do. Although it isn't surprising to hear (edit, as I can't spell) the men use washi or ware to speak of themselves either.
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Tue 11.18.2008 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 05.13.2008 10:07 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:In Tohoku, the females use boku and ore almost as often as the men do. Although it isn't surprising to here the men use washi or ware to speak of themselves either.

Yup! I lived in Iwate for 2 years and I'd occasionally hear it from the older ladies, or sometimes even JHS girls who were very sporty (eg; judo club etc.)
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby feccabin » Wed 05.28.2008 12:12 am

私 ー>男性も女性も使える、正式の場合はわたしとわたくししか使えない、わたくしはより謙遜
僕 ->普通は男性しか使えないが、最近僕使って女の子もたくさんいるよね~
あたし ->女の子の可愛い自称、ちなみにあたしもそうです^^男使っちゃ変態になるわよ
あたくし ー>正直、それを自称した子現実には見たことないよね、アニメならあるけど、確かに萌要素の一種だよね、ヅンデレとお嬢様(学生会長)?使うかも?
拙者 ->昔日本の侍の自称
余 ->昔日本の貴族の自称
俺 ->僕より乱暴な男の自称、余りも乱暴だから、いくら不良少女もめったに使わない
あたい ->東北地方のあたし?
うち  ->関西弁のあたし
おいら ー>関西のあるところの俺?
feccabin

Postby ryuubu » Sun 08.17.2008 7:25 pm

I have the super bad habbit of blurting out 俺 before I even think. At one job where I'm on friendly terms with everyone it's okay, but one where I have to use 敬語 it very much is a bad mistake.
ryuubu

Postby chikara » Sun 08.17.2008 8:20 pm

IMHO necroposting is a bad habit. :P
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby clay » Sun 08.17.2008 8:28 pm

I'm not sure. When necroposting is done with a relevant post, it can add to the conversation.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Sun 08.17.2008 8:44 pm

Fair comment Clay-san.

ryuubu wrote:I have the super bad habbit of blurting out 俺 before I even think. At one job where I'm on friendly terms with everyone it's okay, but one where I have to use 敬語 it very much is a bad mistake.

ryuubu-san, are you working in Japan?

I find it interesting, given the way I have learnt Japanese, that 俺 would be the way that someone would refer to themselves "instinctively". Is that something that comes from coming to Japanese via manga and/or anime?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 08.17.2008 9:11 pm

chikara wrote:I find it interesting, given the way I have learnt Japanese, that 俺 would be the way that someone would refer to themselves "instinctively". Is that something that comes from coming to Japanese via manga and/or anime?

I have a friend who majored in Japanese, and has the same bad habit. He actually got fired from his last job for using too much casual/rude speach in the workplace (in addition to some other things).

My wife and I won't take him to meet our older friends, and sometimes worry about introducing him to other friends because he can't speak politely even if he tried.

It all came from liking boys comics too much, and picking up all the bad habits. He can't even determine what is polite and what is rude anymore.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Pork Chop » Tue 08.19.2008 3:34 pm

Harisenbon wrote:I have a friend who majored in Japanese, and has the same bad habit. He actually got fired from his last job for using too much casual/rude speach in the workplace (in addition to some other things).
My wife and I won't take him to meet our older friends, and sometimes worry about introducing him to other friends because he can't speak politely even if he tried.
It all came from liking boys comics too much, and picking up all the bad habits. He can't even determine what is polite and what is rude anymore.

Had the same problem when I went off to college.
Hung out with furyo in Okinawa in high school; all the Japanese people at my university were from Tokyo.
It left me with a bad impression of "mainlanders", but looking back it was my own fault.
Managed to fix it over time, but it did take some effort.
These days, I'm a 僕 man myself.
Pork Chop

Postby ryuubu » Thu 08.21.2008 12:28 am

chikara wrote:Fair comment Clay-san.

ryuubu wrote:I have the super bad habbit of blurting out 俺 before I even think. At one job where I'm on friendly terms with everyone it's okay, but one where I have to use 敬語 it very much is a bad mistake.

ryuubu-san, are you working in Japan?

I find it interesting, given the way I have learnt Japanese, that 俺 would be the way that someone would refer to themselves "instinctively". Is that something that comes from coming to Japanese via manga and/or anime?

Nah I'm working two jobs, one as a english coach for japanese-english medical interpreters, and the other just in a upbeat Japanese restaurant here.

Like everyone else, I started out with 私 and gravitated toward 僕, but my exposure to, well let's say less than formal Japanese at the restaurant has sorta' conditioned me into this quickfire answer forefronted by 俺.

>_<
ryuubu

Postby the_haunted_boy » Tue 11.18.2008 1:02 am

I like 僕, its just a personal preference for me.
the_haunted_boy

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion