Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - geisha

geisha

Japanese, general discussion on the language

geisha

Postby keymistress » Wed 08.10.2005 12:58 pm

anybody interested in this very special profession in Japan? i did a school project on the topic "Geisha" (i chose the subject myself) and am simply fascinated by them! in case some of you do not know, geisha are highly trained artistes (gei = art, sha = person) and they are definitely not prostitutes. it takes many years of arduous training from a maiko to a geisha. there are sacrifices that they must make, many rules to follow. sadly, it is a dying tradition and there are alot of "fake geisha" in Japan trying to earn tourists' money. Geisha also help to maintain tradition in Japan by practising arts like the Japanese tea ceremony and playing traditional instruments like the shamisen...
keymistress

RE: geisha

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 08.10.2005 6:14 pm

you're right. they were high class prostitutes.
skrhgh3b

Postby keymistress » Wed 08.10.2005 10:51 pm

they are not high class prostitutes! they may accompany men to drink and dance and chat but they do not sleep with their clients.
keymistress

Postby Gaijinian » Wed 08.10.2005 11:56 pm

Geisha were BOUGHT into a geisha house. They were, essentially, slaves... That is not so great, is it?

Geisha are not prostitutes. Although in the past the right to take their virginity (an event called a mizuage) was sold, they were not obliged to have sex with any customers, even the men who paid dearly for their virginity.

Note that many are modern-day prostates incognito.
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Postby toni » Thu 08.11.2005 12:20 am

"Geishas are prostitutes..." "...Geishas aren't prostitutes!"

It depends on how you want to see it. The Western view of a prostitute is a woman who takes money for sex but we're talking about Japan! Prostitutes may be seen differently there. And if geishas are prostitutes, at least they are prostitutes with some kind of honor, sophistication and class.

But I think they aren't prostitutes.
toni

Postby keymistress » Thu 08.11.2005 12:52 am

i did research on geisha and the common misconception that they are prostitutes is common amongst foreigners and even natives, the japanese themselves. a child is sold to an ochaya (tea house) where she is trained as a maiko. the mizuage rite of passage is something that they have to go though in order to become a geisha. it is a traditional rite and not selling their body for money. if you actually read up on the facts you will not say that they are prostitutes.
keymistress

Postby jaela » Thu 08.11.2005 1:31 am

well, for the uneducated, they are simply japanese prostitutes, which is a shame really . coz the art of geisha is dying. in some parts of the world, they even think this is just some form of wardrobe! i became fascinated by geishas when i read this book shogun by james clavell ...... memoirs of a geisha, has anyone read it?
jaela

Postby skrhgh3b » Thu 08.11.2005 5:16 am

ok, i'll admit that my knowledge of geisha is primarily based upon period films and novels, but geisha were bought as children, their virginity was often auctioned off, and the most they could hope for was to earn enough money from their wealthy patrons to buy their freedom, and this more than likely involved becoming mistresses. so they weren't prostitutes pure and simple, but sex was as much a part of their profession as entertainers as the traditional arts were.
skrhgh3b

Postby toni » Thu 08.11.2005 6:47 am

Geishas are simply their own thing. We don't have anything similar here so it's easy for us to think that they are some kind of prostitutes. What a pity... :-/
toni

Postby Gaijinian » Thu 08.11.2005 8:56 am

well, for the uneducated, they are simply japanese prostitutes, which is a shame really

I may only be in high school, but I am educated enough to use capital letters!:o:p

The FACT is, the most of the women in Kyoto with a white painted face and a kimono are prostitutes in incognito (I like that word) as "fake" geisha (by the way min'na, Japanese has no plural words, so "gieshas" is kind of odd...)

REAL geisha, which are dwindlingly (is that a word?lol) few in numbers, are not prostitutes, just girls you pay to get drunk with you, play the shamisen, sing... *Maybe*, if you ask, they'll let you into their pants...:p
Last edited by Gaijinian on Thu 08.11.2005 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Postby jinksys » Fri 08.12.2005 3:24 am

Japanese may have no plural words, but english sure does! Geishas! oh btw, Gaijinian when you take college comp you'll learn citing of references. Stealing from wikipedia doesn't equal an education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geisha
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Return to Japanese General Discussion