Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Can u learn japanese correctly by yourself

Can u learn japanese correctly by yourself

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Can u learn japanese correctly by yourself

Postby AaRoN » Wed 08.10.2005 1:41 pm

Can ne1 tell me if u can learn japanese correctly by urself???
:|
AaRoN

RE: Can u learn japanese correctly by yourself

Postby Mariya » Wed 08.10.2005 2:02 pm

Where there's a will, theres a way. I dedicate whatever I do in my life to that phrase, since it is what motivates me. ;)
Mariya

Postby raevin » Wed 08.10.2005 2:10 pm

Mariya wrote:
Where there's a will, theres a way. I dedicate whatever I do in my life to that phrase, since it is what motivates me. ;)

I love the way this person thinks :D

Yes, it is possible, and I've also learned a lot more on my own than what I think I could ever learn in a classroom.
raevin

Native language: English

Postby AaRoN » Wed 08.10.2005 2:19 pm

thanx that a good bit of encouragement :D but what about pronuciation??? :|
Last edited by AaRoN on Fri 08.12.2005 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
AaRoN

Postby raevin » Wed 08.10.2005 2:21 pm

AaRoN wrote:
thanx that a bit good bit of encouragement :D but what about pronuciation??? :|

I say, either listen to Japanese music (which is how I learned it), or get a book that has it...almost, if not all, of the beginner books will give you examples on how to say each of the letters and such.
raevin

Postby Qbe » Wed 08.10.2005 2:26 pm

AaRoN wrote:
thanx that a bit good bit of encouragement :D but what about pronuciation??? :|

Audio courses like Pimsleur will get you off to a good start.
Qbe

Postby AaRoN » Wed 08.10.2005 2:51 pm

I've started to listen to japanese music and watch japanese T.V but native speakers speak very fast
AaRoN

Postby raevin » Wed 08.10.2005 3:02 pm

AaRoN wrote:
I've started to listen to japanese music and watch japanese T.V but native speakers speak very fast

For the most part, I agree...listen to some ballads ("TEARS" by X Japan, "ain't afraid to die" by Dir En Grey, "Forever Love" also by X Japan...they're quite popular ones also).
raevin

Postby AaRoN » Wed 08.10.2005 3:11 pm

thnx i'll try that :D
AaRoN

Postby Drakkhim » Wed 08.10.2005 3:14 pm

I became very interested in the Japanese language after watching many hours of puroresu. Puroresu is the shortened name for, "puroresuringu," which translates to Pro-Wrestling. I wanted to know what the characters meant that were displayed during commercials and during the matches. I of course wanted to know what people were saying as well. I taught myself hiragana/katakana but I haven't studied actively in four or five years and I am very rusty. I just found this site today and I'm going to dedicate myself to go through all of the tutorials again and freshen up. I'd like to take a Japan trip within the next 3-5 years if possible and I'm eager to want to communicate with people. A lot of folks get into Japanese culture via anime or some other form of entertainment. For me, it was pro wrestling, which in Japan... is really really good. :)
Drakkhim

Postby raevin » Wed 08.10.2005 3:45 pm

AaRoN wrote:
thnx i'll try that :D

Yup, no problem :)

If you I want, I can send you them on AIM (wisprmylastbreth) if you want (this isn't illegal, since I'm not gonna send you the whole album).
raevin

Postby Mariya » Wed 08.10.2005 4:09 pm

raevin wrote:
Mariya wrote:

I love the way this person thinks :D

Yes, it is possible, and I've also learned a lot more on my own than what I think I could ever learn in a classroom.

Thanks alot, I'm flattered! :D
Yes I would say that music is a very good way, though I have noticed that in some songs, the same words may sound like they are being pronounced differently because of the singing style (I hope that makes sense). I use the sites that have .wav files, they really help. If you need help in finding them, just say, I could dig around in my favorites for you :).
Mariya

Postby raevin » Wed 08.10.2005 5:47 pm

Mariya wrote:
Thanks alot, I'm flattered! :D
Yes I would say that music is a very good way, though I have noticed that in some songs, the same words may sound like they are being pronounced differently because of the singing style (I hope that makes sense). I use the sites that have .wav files, they really help. If you need help in finding them, just say, I could dig around in my favorites for you :).

Welcome :)

I agree, but after time you should become more familiar with how people sing...Kyo is a good example of what you're saying too...you just become used to how they sing, and it naturally comes to you what they say (atleast for me).

Best way to overcome that though, I feel anyways, is to read the lyrics while listening...it does help anyways knowing how to say letters like "n" since that various given it's position in the word.

This site has what you're talking about (don't know how big of an archive it is though, since I've never used it really).
raevin

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 08.10.2005 5:49 pm

obviously, you're never going to become a fluent speaker without the direction and example of native speakers. but there's also an awful lot of academic work that you'll have to do on your own (memorizing kanji, for example).
skrhgh3b

Postby Kodi » Wed 08.10.2005 5:55 pm

Yes you can... But you'll need a little help on some things.
It's easier with someone else to help. A 'once-a-week' course would be a plus. Just an hour or two a week. Check out your local college or ask around...
Kodi

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion