Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Can u learn japanese correctly by yourself

Can u learn japanese correctly by yourself

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Can u learn japanese correctly by yourself

Postby yankumi » Fri 08.12.2005 12:26 am

I am studying Japanese with my two young daughters, I homeschool and I think we are doing pretty well so far. I am just doing vocabulary with them, my own studies include kana and kanji, but since the older still is getting a grasp on writing English we aren't practicing writing, although we look at books so she can get familiar with the idea of a different alphabet. I do think it's a bit harder to study on your own, but as a homeschooler I definitely feel it can be done. Websites such as this help out a lot, as it's nice to have some feedback from others. There are a number of good online sites that have sound so you can actually listen to the word. And watching Japanese movies is very good for getting inflection. It's just important to keep feeling motivated. It will take a while, if you want to be good, this isn't something you can do in a month--although you can learn a lot in a month. Just stick with it and you will do well.
yankumi

Postby Kodi » Fri 08.12.2005 9:23 am

Well said DonnaP. Yeah. With enough motivation you can do well. Websites such as the one you mentioned on the 'Vocabulary' topic which have sound for every word would be very useful.
Kodi

Postby battousai » Fri 08.12.2005 7:06 pm

I'm replying simply because I've done it from both sides. I began by learning in school but realized school can only take you so far. It always depends on your goals. If you want to be fluent, I have to say teaching yourself or getting a dedicated tutor is a must. But the very simple fact that you can ask a specific question and get a specific answer from a teacher is just irreplaceable in my opinion. I know what you are asking though, is it possible to completely self study a language. The easy answer is yes. The real answer is whether you personally want to/can. But the resources are definitely out there. In the end, I do not believe anyone can achieve mastery in a language without living in the actual culture. Being able to read online magazines is one thing, being able to hold a convo is another.
battousai

Postby Daichi » Sat 08.13.2005 7:17 am

Konnichiwa Aaron-san.

I am also learning Japanese on my own, however I try to keep realistic expectations of what I can achieve alone.

No matter how much I learn, I know that true fluency and confidence will only come with the help of others. Luckily, people like us have this website to help us on our journey.

Gokoun o inorimasu!
(Good luck).
Daichi

Postby AaRoN » Sat 08.13.2005 8:53 am

Welcome

I agree, but after time you should become more familiar with how people sing...Kyo is a good example of what you're saying too...you just become used to how they sing, and it naturally comes to you what they say (atleast for me).

Best way to overcome that though, I feel anyways, is to read the lyrics while listening...it does help anyways knowing how to say letters like "n" since that various given it's position in the word.

This site has what you're talking about (don't know how big of an archive it is though, since I've never used it really).

thnx i realise what u are saying and it's becoming easier to understand how people are pronuncing the . :D
I don't understand.......Why can't i fly????
AaRoN

Postby AaRoN » Sat 08.13.2005 8:56 am

battousai wrote:
I'm replying simply because I've done it from both sides. I began by learning in school but realized school can only take you so far. It always depends on your goals. If you want to be fluent, I have to say teaching yourself or getting a dedicated tutor is a must. But the very simple fact that you can ask a specific question and get a specific answer from a teacher is just irreplaceable in my opinion. I know what you are asking though, is it possible to completely self study a language. The easy answer is yes. The real answer is whether you personally want to/can. But the resources are definitely out there. In the end, I do not believe anyone can achieve mastery in a language without living in the actual culture. Being able to read online magazines is one thing, being able to hold a convo is another.

Yea that is true but i am planning to move to japanan when i get a bit older so i'll have the rest of my life to immerse my self in the culture.
Last edited by AaRoN on Sat 08.13.2005 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't understand.......Why can't i fly????
AaRoN

Postby Christian_ » Tue 08.16.2005 12:09 pm

I'm learning by myself but i am going to take a course for a little while because there are a lot of questions i dont understand but i have tought myself ひらがなとカタカナ and like 5 kanji and some grammer. but after I take that course itll be self studying from now on because i really just wana make sure that i am doing everything right thats really the only reason im taking a course.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby Sacari » Tue 08.16.2005 12:32 pm

Yes, you can. But then again, there are advantages to learning in a classroom, like having someone to practice with, or a teacher to correct you. But when you teach yourself, you can pick what you want to learn and the pace you'll learn it at.

I'm teaching myself japanese, and I find it's going quite well. Well, I've only been learning Japanese for about 2 weeks, but I think I'm doing well for 2 weeks.

As for pronounciation, while native speakers to speak very fast, it's a good idea to use resources like TV shows and stuff, because it will get you used to a normal speed, not a very slow speed. Also, you can get CD's or download stuff from the internet to help you with your pronounciation that's made for beginners learnig Japanese, meaning they speak at a speed that beginners can understand well.

To learn on you're own you need to be motivated. In classes, you've got the teacher to make sure you're learning everything you need to, but when you're self teacing you have to make sure for your self that you're keeping up with you're goals. ;)
Sacari

Postby Kifujinookami » Wed 08.17.2005 8:25 pm

Konnichiwa! I think that sometimes it's good to have input from a knowledgeable outside source to tell you if what your doing is right. If you learn on yor own though [like I am] you can go at your own pace and sometimes it's just easier. You can most definately learn correctly on your own ! ^.^:)
<(**<)<(**)>(>**)>
Kifujinookami

Postby Azn_Gangstet » Sun 10.09.2005 11:41 pm

um...since i watch anime in japanese...i guess i could learn japanese by myself correctly. i have my sister who wants to learn it too, after all
Azn_Gangstet

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion