Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Help having prob learning Kanji

Help having prob learning Kanji

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Help having prob learning Kanji

Postby AaRoN » Fri 08.12.2005 1:23 pm

No matter how much i try i cant seem to memorize any kanji is there any tecniques that can help me to learn this :|
I don't understand.......Why can't i fly????
AaRoN

RE: Help having prob learning Kanji

Postby LordDisa » Fri 08.12.2005 1:33 pm

You might try the Heisig approach. I'm only about 160 or so in on the first book (learning the symbols and English meanings only...readings and such are learned on the second book), but it's working pretty well so far. Do a google search for "heisig remembering kanji" and pick the first .jp site that appears. Toward the bottom of the page should be a link to the first part of the book in pdf format, so you can go through the first 276 kanji using his method and see if the book would work for you before you buy it.
ひらがな: 100% カタカナ: 100%
漢字パート一: 8% 漢字パート二: 0%
文法: 0% 語彙: 0%
LordDisa

Postby Daisuke » Fri 08.12.2005 1:36 pm

Am i wrong, or did i see you saying in another post you had studied for one week?.. I would recommend you learn hiragana and katakana first, if you don't already know them. And it takes more than just looking at a kanji, a few times to memorize it.

I don't have a book for studying kanji, tho' i plan to buy one soon. If you study without a book, there is not much to do other than write the kanji over and over again, while repeating the readings and meanings, until you memorize.. This is a website which shows 4 kyuu kanji with stroke orders. http://kanza2004.poke1.jp/kanji/kanjisym1.html. That will make sure that you write them the correct way.

Well, for memorizing kanji.. There is also some good books out there, describing kanji very well, and explains their origin etc. I heard Heisig's "Remembering the Kanji" should be good books. Should explain kanji very well. I don't know if they are good for a beginner tho', and i can't recommend them, because i don't own them. Well, good luck studying kanji.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby AaRoN » Fri 08.12.2005 2:35 pm

ok thnx i'll do that
I don't understand.......Why can't i fly????
AaRoN

Postby Kodi » Sat 08.13.2005 8:28 am

Repetition is probably the most used approach. Write out the Kanji and then say it in your head or outloud (both how it is pronounced in japanese an what it means). Some look slightly like what they represent. One of the simplest ones and the first I ever learnt was Kuchi - 口. You have probably learnt that one already. I know it's just a square but I just thought it looked like a shocked anime charaters mouth. The normal examples of this are:
山 - yama - mountain
川 - kawa - river
目 - me - eye
Obviously they aren't always as easy as those though. :o Some never realy resembled much in the first place.

Anyway, I certainly agree with Daisuke in that you shouldn't try learning them till you have learnt both Hirigana and Katakana. Off by heart... And be able to recognise them instantly. Besides, books for learning kanji assume that you know hirigana and katakana to show pronunciations. (If it is in romanji then I wouldn't buy it hehe)

http://www.kanjistep.com/en/about/writing.html
I just found this page. It's got some good information for when you do start learning kanji. It may also scare you when it says "Advanced - 2,000 kanji - 900 hours"
Thats an hour a day for 2 and a half years. Learning 2 a day to start with and 3 later on when you are better. (Doesn't sound as bad that way hehe)
Oh... untill you think of all the vocab you have to learn and how to string everything together and all the other little things...
You don't need to spend so long learng kanji if you are only going to travel to japan a few times but personaly I want to be actualy fairly good at the language.

I've given myself 4 years to learn japanese :) By then I will have just finished being at uni.
Last edited by Kodi on Sat 08.13.2005 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kodi

Postby kempokatt » Sat 08.13.2005 8:40 am

Kanji are basic pictures of what they represent (in most cases).

Once you learn some of the basic Kanji, the more complex ones are just combinations of the simple forms.

Use what you learn and learn what you will use...start simple and work your way up.

Get Wakan and use it...(FREE- dictionary, translator, learning tool for Japanese/Chinese and does not require you to be "online" while using it.)
kempokatt

Postby Qbe » Sat 08.13.2005 12:01 pm

You have two choices: rote memorization and the Heisig method, which forces you to look at the kanji as story-pictures. Since you can try the Heisig method for free (mentioned above), give that a try and see if it works for you. It works for me.
Qbe

Postby kinch » Sun 08.14.2005 12:42 am

You also have a third choice - don't learn kanji. I know people who visit Japan frequently, they know a lot of words, but no kanji. Kanji isn't absolutely necessary to learn if you want to become proficient in Japanese. Of course, it's entirely up to you to make the choice whether or not to spend 3 years learning kanji.....
kinch

Postby mandolin » Sun 08.14.2005 8:27 am

You may be able to learn to speak japanese with no kanji, but you won't be able to read it at all.
mandolin

Postby LordDisa » Sun 08.14.2005 10:31 am

Kanji learning is going to be a must for me, at least, because I wish to become as close to fluent in both spoken and written Japanese as I can get...which is questionable, seeing as I decided to start learning it at age 24, which is a bit late in one's life to try to learn a new language to the point of fluency.

Oddly enough, with Heisig's method, once I have learned Japanese, it might be interesting to use such a method to attempt to learn the written Chinese language (by learning the meanings of the Hanzi in English, or maybe Japanese)...I think it'd be neat to know the written language without any grasp of the spoken...but that's just me.. ;)
Last edited by LordDisa on Sun 08.14.2005 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ひらがな: 100% カタカナ: 100%
漢字パート一: 8% 漢字パート二: 0%
文法: 0% 語彙: 0%
LordDisa

Postby Inexactitude » Wed 08.17.2005 5:27 pm

The method I use for learning kanji is just setting aside about 4 hours in the day and studying a small group. When I'm done, I make flash cards for them and add them to a stack of all the other kanji I learned. I use these to continually refresh my memory on the kanji. I'm going at a rate of about 30 kanji a day and I'm learning them fairly well. Unfortunately, I'm don't think everyone has that much time to put into studying them.
Inexactitude

Return to Japanese General Discussion