Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Setting Meiryo font as a default font in Windows XP?

Setting Meiryo font as a default font in Windows XP?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Setting Meiryo font as a default font in Windows XP?

Postby Xurma » Fri 07.11.2008 6:40 am

I'm sorry if I posted this topic in the wrong section, but some time ago I downloaded a so-called ClearType Tuner add-on from Microsoft website for my Windows XP, and what it does is that it replaces Arial and some other common fonts with a new ClearType font, and the result is following:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9330/verdanacompareverticalht8.png

Well, as you can see, the ClearType font is more clearer and also more enjoyable to read than the Verdana black and white one in my opinion.
After that I was satisfied that almost every font I usually view with my computer is clear and nice to read, but I noticed that my japanese fonts still were the same, so I thought if there was any way to set Meiryo font as a default font.

For those who don't know what is or how does Meiryo look like, here's a sample:

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=meiryogothicpt0.png

The sample is from the japanese Meiryo article from wikipedia which I used as a sample.
I downloaded a thingy called "Japanese ClearType fonts for Windows XP" from the Microsoft website. I got the ClearType font for japanese, but the problem is how can I set it as a default font to replace all common fonts used for japanese?
I have Mozilla Firefox and I set it to the default, now every japanese font in my internet is replaced with Meiryo, but I'd like to know how it could be set as a default everywhere, because in other applications different from Mozilla the font is the same original MS PGothic.

I tried to search in Google, I found these sites:

http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2008/06/18/8614758.aspx
http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/TechOff/257036-How-to-set-the-default-font-for-asian-ideographs/

The first link tells that it's impossible to set the japanese ClearType font as a default.. and the other link tells that it can be done by changing few registry entries, but the information was limited..

If anyone here has some experience about this or does know how to set the ClearType japanese font as a default font for japanese, please reply.

Thanks
Last edited by Xurma on Fri 07.11.2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xurma

Re: Setting Meiryo font as a default font in Windows XP?

Postby furrykef » Fri 07.11.2008 6:55 am

Xurma wrote:Well, as you can see, the ClearType font is more clearer and obviously more enjoyable to read than the Verdana black and white one.

I actually have to disagree. I've encountered ClearType fonts before and I've never liked them. Rather than finding them clearer, they actually look fuzzy to me (due to all the anti-aliasing they have). Not really my definition of "clearer".

I can't help you with your problem, unfortunately. I just wanted to point out that things that are obvious to you are not obvious to everyone. ;) But I can tell you that you should be very careful with editing the registry and you really don't wanna mess it up. You might know this, but if you didn't, it's good to know. :)

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Xurma » Fri 07.11.2008 7:12 am

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll edit it right away.
Xurma

Postby Maverynthia » Wed 05.04.2011 5:26 pm

I was wanting to do this myself and did a bit of digging.

To get it to work in XP, what you want to do is open Regedit and search for msgothic.ttc then MS Gothic (I just searched for msgothic) and replace all the font entries with meiryo.ttc,Meiryo. The ones of particular interest are the 932 locales. There should only be one place you need to put メイリオ and that's where you see the Japanese MSゴシク.

Then you will need to restart. After that the Meiryo should work. A remind though that Meiryo takes the size of whatever the font size is. So if you have tiny font on your icons, the Meiryo will be tiny as well.
マヴリンシア::Maverynthia
Maverynthia

Native language: English

Postby takiras » Wed 05.04.2011 6:11 pm

I'd recommend using Meriyo UI over Meiryo, Japanese in Meiryo will show up as way smaller than it should most of the time. With Meiryo UI the problem isn't 100% fixed but is much better.
青い空を共に行こうよ
[fb][last.fm][twitter]
takiras

Skype chat: takiras
Native language: English(英語)

Return to Japanese General Discussion