Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Need Kanji Image for 大切。

Need Kanji Image for 大切。

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Need Kanji Image for 大切。

Postby Steve_Poppers » Wed 11.05.2008 6:21 pm

I just need a decent sized image of 大切 (taisetsu/beloved) in a sort of hand painted style, if someone doesn't mind helping me out. I've look a bit and had no such luck.
If only I had more answers than questions...Wouldn\'t that be nice...
Steve_Poppers

Re: Need Kanji Image for 大切。

Postby chikara » Wed 11.05.2008 8:10 pm

Do you have access to a Word Processor, MS Word or OpenOffice Writer?

It took me a couple of minutes to create the attached image using OpenOffice Writer and an Epson font which can be downloaded for free.

BTW, I trust this is not for a tattoo :twisted:
Attachments
taisetsu.jpg
taisetsu.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Steve_Poppers » Wed 11.05.2008 8:32 pm

Oh, thank you so much! I tried messing with fonts but didn't work.

Sorry, but it is for a tattoo. :lol: My girlfriend wants it. I know most people think it's silly. The Japanese don't do it. It's sort of like tattooing random english words on yourself to anyone who can read Japanese. Japanese or English, I don't think it really makes a difference. It means something to her, and is more aesthetically pleasing. Having a tattoo that says beloved in English would not be bad, so why not in Japanese?
Steve_Poppers

Postby chikara » Wed 11.05.2008 8:43 pm

Steve_Poppers wrote:...... Having a tattoo that says beloved in English would not be bad, so why not in Japanese?

Why not in Japanese? Does your girlfriend speak and read Japanese?

Does 大切 really say "beloved"?

Maybe your girlfriend should use 大切な人 :wink:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 11.06.2008 1:00 am

If she wants "beloved" she should choose another character. 大切 means important or valuable. Beloved is 愛しい.

Seriously though, try to talk her out of it. Getting a tattoo in a language you (and the tattooist) can't read is a bad idea, especially since if the tattooist can't read it they may well put it on backwards or upside down or add flourishes that look cool, but completely change the meaning/balance of the character.

Direct your girlfriend to Hanzismatter; it'll be educational.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 11.06.2008 9:21 am

Steve_Poppers wrote:Oh, thank you so much! I tried messing with fonts but didn't work.

Sorry, but it is for a tattoo. :lol: My girlfriend wants it. I know most people think it's silly. The Japanese don't do it. It's sort of like tattooing random english words on yourself to anyone who can read Japanese. Japanese or English, I don't think it really makes a difference. It means something to her, and is more aesthetically pleasing. Having a tattoo that says beloved in English would not be bad, so why not in Japanese?

Because those two kanji don't say beloved.. The closest they come to is as Becki-san mentioned.. valued or important.. In the end, it's her body, but if that's the case, she'd be better off getting a mural rather than just kanji..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Dehitay » Thu 11.06.2008 1:14 pm

I actually somewhat like kanji tattoos. A majority of the time, I can identify the individual characters, but when I can't, I put the effort into learning them. Then they get ingrained deeply into my memory, especially if it's some one I have to deal with on a regular basis. For example, I am now more familiar with the character 盟 because I saw it on someone's back at work and had to look it up.

Most of the time, the tattoos won't make any sense, even in Chinese, but I take it as a pop quiz. If they get something ridiculous tattooed on them, then that's even more entertaining. So go ahead and find the kanji combinations for "big useful", "victorious hand", or even "horse and deer" for those lovers of nature.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby furrykef » Thu 11.06.2008 4:02 pm

Dehitay wrote:or even "horse and deer"

Hehehehehe. Even I know that one...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby tanuki » Thu 11.06.2008 5:05 pm

Jeez, people, be nice to the guy. If his girlfriend wants a Japanese tattoo and the choice isn't good, then help him find a good one.

Look, man, 大切 probably doesn't mean what you think it does. The best tattoos that have to do with love contain the kanji 愛, which I'm sure you're familiar with.

I have this kanji tattoo book (it's in Spanish, called: "Kanji para Tatús") and it says (I'm translating) in page No. 42:

"This is one of the most beautiful love-related tattoos. The first kanji means "the same". The second kanji is somewhat vague and it signifies attachment, physical or otherwise. In this context it means spiritual attachment or "soul". The third kanji is the ever-popular "love" kanji. The meaning of the whole compound is "soulmate" (same+soul+love)"

The compound they're talking about is this:

It sure looks beautiful, huh? I hope I've helped you. Good luck!
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 11.06.2008 5:24 pm

tanuki wrote:
I have this kanji tattoo book (it's in Spanish, called: "Kanji para Tatús") !

Here's for hoping this conclusive kanji for tattoos has no mistakes in it whatsoever.. since you seem to think it on par with scripture.. :mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

Postby Steve_Poppers » Thu 11.06.2008 5:54 pm

I know that it also means valued or important, which we both think is also appropriate. As long as the artist follows the image, there should be no reason for this to go wrong. I'll explain all this to her, and show her the site, but even I can't stop her from getting what she wants. I've seen that site before, thanks for reminding me of it.

Again, "beloved/valued/important." All good for what we're looking for.
Steve_Poppers

Postby solidsnake360 » Thu 11.06.2008 7:09 pm

tanuki wrote:Jeez, people, be nice to the guy. If his girlfriend wants a Japanese tattoo and the choice isn't good, then help him find a good one.

Look, man, 大切 probably doesn't mean what you think it does. The best tattoos that have to do with love contain the kanji 愛, which I'm sure you're familiar with.

I have this kanji tattoo book (it's in Spanish, called: "Kanji para Tatús") and it says (I'm translating) in page No. 42:

"This is one of the most beautiful love-related tattoos. The first kanji means "the same". The second kanji is somewhat vague and it signifies attachment, physical or otherwise. In this context it means spiritual attachment or "soul". The third kanji is the ever-popular "love" kanji. The meaning of the whole compound is "soulmate" (same+soul+love)"

The compound they're talking about is this:

LOL, yeah, get her to get that tattoo. ^
solidsnake360

Postby chikara » Thu 11.06.2008 7:51 pm

Dehitay wrote:..... So go ahead and find the kanji combinations for "big useful", "victorious hand", or even "horse and deer" for those lovers of nature.

"horse and deer" is a good suggestion but I believe "spirit child" is probably more appropriate in this context.

tanuki wrote:Jeez, people, be nice to the guy.

....... The meaning of the whole compound is "soulmate" (same+soul+love)" .....

Tanuki-san you must be applauded for being so helpful to the OP when other posters, myself included, are so anti kanji tattoos.

同性愛 is truly a wonderful suggestion.
chikara

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 11.06.2008 9:57 pm

tanuki wrote:The compound they're talking about is this:

Damn, you're evil. :twisted:

Steve_Poppers wrote:Again, "beloved/valued/important." All good for what we're looking for.

When you put the slashes in there, it ALMOST makes me think that those all have the same meaning.
But they don't.

Like becki said, 大切 does not mean beloved. It has nothing to do with beloved.
It means important. It doesn't specifically refer to a person.

Please reconsider the tattoo.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Dehitay » Thu 11.06.2008 10:00 pm

chikara wrote:"horse and deer" is a good suggestion but I believe "spirit child" is probably more appropriate in this context.

Are you referring to 神子 or is there a more entertaining alternative I'm not thinking of?
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion