Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese slang

Japanese slang

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Japanese slang

Postby kentaku_sama » Mon 12.15.2008 6:12 pm

This is kind of a strange subject but I know some Japanese slang, mainly from watching anime. First off I've heard that the word "くそ" is translated as "crap" but This is used in Naruto, bleach and other Children's shows in japan. Is this word a bad word or does it translate more into "Ah man" or "Oh crap!" because I would like to know I'm not cursing in japan. Also I would like to know if any body could give me some Japanese slang words that aren't Curse words. Like "バカ".
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Japanese slang

Postby richvh » Mon 12.15.2008 7:27 pm

It's literally crap.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Dehitay » Tue 12.16.2008 9:54 am

kentaku_sama wrote:This is kind of a strange subject but I know some Japanese slang, mainly from watching anime. First off I've heard that the word "くそ" is translated as "crap" but This is used in Naruto, bleach and other Children's shows in japan. Is this word a bad word or does it translate more into "Ah man" or "Oh crap!" because I would like to know I'm not cursing in japan. Also I would like to know if any body could give me some Japanese slang words that aren't Curse words. Like "バカ".

I wouldn't consider either one of those slang. They're both standard vocabulary in Japanese. The only slang I can currently think of is turning the あい sound on the end of words to a えー sound. More specifically, turning ない into ねー.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby NocturnalOcean » Mon 12.22.2008 6:06 pm

Dehitay wrote:
kentaku_sama wrote:This is kind of a strange subject but I know some Japanese slang, mainly from watching anime. First off I've heard that the word "くそ" is translated as "crap" but This is used in Naruto, bleach and other Children's shows in japan. Is this word a bad word or does it translate more into "Ah man" or "Oh crap!" because I would like to know I'm not cursing in japan. Also I would like to know if any body could give me some Japanese slang words that aren't Curse words. Like "バカ".

I wouldn't consider either one of those slang. They're both standard vocabulary in Japanese. The only slang I can currently think of is turning the あい sound on the end of words to a えー sound. More specifically, turning ない into ねー.

I am not sure I would call that slang, but rather a dialectal feature.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 12.22.2008 7:36 pm

Dehitay wrote:I wouldn't consider either one of those slang. They're both standard vocabulary in Japanese. The only slang I can currently think of is turning the あい sound on the end of words to a えー sound. More specifically, turning ない into ねー.

Slang terms come and go and tend to be more in vogue among the younger generation. The two you mention have been around seemingly forever and are used by young and old alike. I'd consider them as being somewhat akin to such things in English as the dropping of "g" in "-ing".....not "standard", perhaps, but certainly not slang either.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Return to Japanese General Discussion