Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - tokyo

tokyo

Japanese, general discussion on the language

tokyo

Postby Kakashi » Thu 09.01.2005 9:40 am

im going to move to tokyo in 5 years and i was wondering if any1 lives there cuz id like to get in contact sothat i might learn more about the place and culture and stuff. plus i hear tokyo is THE place to go for anime, games and manga.
I am not part of the bakery conspiracy!
Beware! The bakery knows all...
Kakashi

RE: tokyo

Postby Spaztick » Thu 09.01.2005 11:14 am

You don't sound really sincere, or that you'd even make it in Japan, honestly. Put bluntly, your grammar and use of punctuation is absoloutly bafflingly horrible.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Kakashi » Thu 09.01.2005 12:16 pm

yes i know
Kakashi

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 09.01.2005 6:48 pm

Just a couple of myth busters:

Japan is NOT a great place to buy anime. Sure it comes out first, and there's a ton of it, but because it's considered a niche hobby, be prepared to spend anywhere from 40 to 90 american dollars on one DVD.

Manga can be purchased at any bookstore, and even over the internet. There's no reason to go for manga. It will also be in Japanese, which limits its readability to foreigners. English versions of the manga are availably, but sell for twice what they do in the states.

Games are also much more expensive than their foreign counterparts. A new release will generally run somewhere around 70-80 dollars, while a popular game will run upwards of 100-120 dollars. It's better just to buy them in your own country, where you can read what's going on.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby kanadajin » Thu 09.01.2005 6:52 pm

lol thats enough rough housing all he wanted to know if any one lived in tokyo. Lol
kanadajin

Postby kanadajin » Thu 09.01.2005 7:09 pm

I'm moving to Tokyo or Osaka in a while because i went to Japan this year and I absolutly LOVED it I can't really explain why it was just so cool, the people were really nice, there was so many new things and its just so different from any thing I have ever seen.
kanadajin

Postby Inu Yasha » Thu 09.01.2005 7:48 pm

Hi カナダジン,
can I ask u something? what r u gonna do in Japan? I think it gonna be hard to find job for our kai-jin like us, right? unless u r extreamly intelligent.
I agree everything u said, I been there twice already and want to setup but how? anyone can tell me?
Inu Yasha

Postby Mukade » Fri 09.02.2005 7:26 am

Inu Yasha wrote:
what r u gonna do in Japan? I think it gonna be hard to find job for our kai-jin like us, right? unless u r extreamly intelligent.

Don't worry about that. There are hordes of dumb-ass foreigners who manage to get jobs here. In fact, I think they outnumber the intelligent ones like Harisenbon and I.

Anyway, you can always check out the JET program, or search an on-line job listing like http://www.gaijinpot.com as a starting place for employment in Japan.

Kakashi: most Jobs listed on any jobs in Japan website will be for the Tokyo area. If you are serious about coming, start by checking one of those out. They often have articles on living in Japan and the like. What you want to look for is an employer who would be willing to sponsor you for a visa, which is your biggest obstacle to getting here. If you can get sponsored, then your employer will often help you get set up in an apartment (sometimes providing it or subsidizing it).

You'll notice that many employers want people who are already holding a visa, but don't let that discourage you - there are still a few out there willing to sponsor, especially the JET program.

Good luck! And ignore Spaztick - he slammed your grammar but misspelled "absolutely"!
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby Kakashi » Fri 09.02.2005 8:40 am

i wanna go to japan to either become a manga artist, computer animator or game desiner, im still desideing with to go study, exept i cant study manga...lol
Kakashi

Postby Daichi » Fri 09.02.2005 9:12 am

Kakashi wrote:
i wanna go to japan to either become a manga artist...

I think that phrase is enough to have Harisenbon in fits of laughter (or tears, whatever). He's probably heard it from a million-and-one Gaijin.

Saying "I'm going to Japan to do Manga" is like saying "I'm going to Hollywood to be a big movie star", perhaps even more extreme. It almost certainly ain't gonna happen. You'd spend years scraping by, looking for that big break, and in the end would most likely be disappointed.
Last edited by Daichi on Fri 09.02.2005 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daichi

Postby Kakashi » Fri 09.02.2005 10:23 am

ur probibly right, i wont make it but i can still try, plus, manga isnt my only opsion, it will probably stay at being just a hobby
Kakashi

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 09.02.2005 10:51 am

Daichi wrote:
Kakashi wrote:
i wanna go to japan to either become a manga artist...

I think that phrase is enough to have Harisenbon in fits of laughter (or tears, whatever). He's probably heard it from a million-and-one Gaijin.

It reminds me of me when I was 12. But making it in the states as a cartoonist is hard enough, let alone in Japan where there are a billion people better than you, you don't speak the language, and hundreds of other problems.

I know I'm down on people who say stuff like that, but the thing is it's said so often, and has become such a stereotype that I have stopped believing the people who say it. Why would you become a graphic designer/ CG artist/ cartoonist in Japan when it is SO MUCH EASIER to do it in America, or whatever country you live in? Japan does not just make cartoons.

I would be much more impressed with someone who said to me "I want to go to Japan to get a first hand look at the socio-economic relations of Japan and the rest of Asia." or even "I'm interested in Japanese literature" and NOT mention anime or samurai novels. Japanese culture is so freaking deep. There are so many things that foreigns can do here to assist in international relations, and to deepen their own understanding of Japan. And yet, all anyone says is, "I want to be a game designer in Japan." It shows a lack of knowledge, respect and understanding of Japanese culture and moreover the Japanese work environment.

When you are ready to work the 80+ hours a week that most buisnessmen work, and get paid the same as someone who works 40 in the states, then let's talk. And don't think that because you're a foreigner you'll get off. Or because you're a cartoonist, that doesn't apply to you, or this reason or that.

I end my rant now. I am so sleepy. I am too full of bile for my own good. When my wife comes back from her trip, maybe I'll be more normal. Sorry guys. :(
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Spaztick » Fri 09.02.2005 12:59 pm

Poor Harisenbon. :) Do you and your wife live in the States or overseas in Japan?

Yea, I'm starting to fall into the British spelling systeme. (joke, joke) Seriously, though, I think most people just either have absolutely (ding ding!) no idea of what Japan is about or even research it; call me a hypocrite though, I haven't looked that much into all Japan has to offer either, all I know about is the castle in Kumamoto and the big hanami thing that goes on during the spring, plus I know of a few various holidays. Sounds like I know a little when I reread that, but I know better. :D

I'll end it here, though. Lunchtime!
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby typhoon » Fri 09.02.2005 1:31 pm

Okay, Harisenbon i don't think that anyone here wants to listen to you crusihing peoples dreams. Have you tried to be a game designer or what ever that deluded person said they wanted to be? and you cant honestly be serious about games being so much more expensive in Japan where demand is higher! it defies all logic where as games selling at £40 here would be reasonable because they have to travel so far and not many people play them here.

--Not meaning to be cheeky!;) just don't like people making false claims BUT:o if i am wrong i would appreicate being corrected(unless its about grammar or spelling, this is the internet, not school, and if you can't understand, stfu and dont read!:@)
hey is you wanna e-mail or contact via an msn or yahoo i would be really grateful to learn japanese from anyone! thanks
typhoon

Postby Sacari » Fri 09.02.2005 2:56 pm

typhoon wrote:
and you cant honestly be serious about games being so much more expensive in Japan where demand is higher! it defies all logic where as games selling at £40 here would be reasonable because they have to travel so far and not many people play them here. )

Nope he's serious, I even did some research on Amazon.co.jp.

KINGDOM HEARTS
¥7,140

Final Fantasy x
¥8,190

Both games are for PS2 (I'm quite sure, but I may be incorrect).
The first game is (very) rougly 70$ US and the second 80$. So there you have it. Harisenbon wasn't lying.
Do your research before you accuse someone of lying.
Sacari

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion