Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - tokyo

tokyo

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: tokyo

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Fri 09.02.2005 3:27 pm

Sacari wrote:
typhoon wrote:
and you cant honestly be serious about games being so much more expensive in Japan where demand is higher! it defies all logic where as games selling at £40 here would be reasonable because they have to travel so far and not many people play them here. )

Nope he's serious, I even did some research on Amazon.co.jp.

KINGDOM HEARTS
¥7,140

Final Fantasy x
¥8,190

Both games are for PS2 (I'm quite sure, but I may be incorrect).
The first game is (very) rougly 70$ US and the second 80$. So there you have it. Harisenbon wasn't lying.
Do your research before you accuse someone of lying.

haha sacari u rule!~
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Supergrunch » Fri 09.02.2005 4:26 pm

Well, those games are no more expensive than in the UK- if anything they're cheaper (I did accurately convert the prices). Anime and manga are also very sparse in the UK- to get anything decent you have to spend loads on ordering it from America (about $20 a book). However, this would give me no reason to move to Japan to buy games and manga. In the future I may go to Japan, but I would not go for such superficial reasons.

What I don't understand is why so many people want to be a manga artist/game designer simply because they like manga/games. Sure, I like manga, but why does that make me want to draw it? After all, I get much more enjoyment from reading other artists books.
Supergrunch

Postby Sacari » Fri 09.02.2005 4:32 pm

Supergrunch wrote:
What I don't understand is why so many people want to be a manga artist/game designer simply because they like manga/games. Sure, I like manga, but why does that make me want to draw it? After all, I get much more enjoyment from reading other artists books.

I don't understand that either. I mean, if your good at drawing manga, then sure, go for it. But I've heard lots of people (not just on this site) say that they want to be manga artists and they're art absoloutly stinks ( Not saying that the art of everyone who wants to be a manga artist is bad :PJust that there's alot of people who fall into that category)
Last edited by Sacari on Fri 09.02.2005 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sacari

Postby Justin » Fri 09.02.2005 4:43 pm

typhoon wrote:
Okay, Harisenbon i don't think that anyone here wants to listen to you crushing peoples dreams.

He wasn't crushing anyone's dreams there, he was just being.....well....realistic. It may not be all sugar coated like other people might put it, but some of the best advice you'll ever hear is gonna be pretty harsh. Don't get on Harisenbon's case just because what he had to say was true, but maybe didn't want to be heard.

typhoon wrote:
and you cant honestly be serious about games being so much more expensive in Japan where demand is higher! it defies all logic where as games selling at £40 here would be reasonable because they have to travel so far and not many people play them here.

It's called price elasticity. Why sell something for $40 when plently of people are willing to dish out $80 for it?
Justin

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 09.02.2005 8:50 pm

typhoon wrote:
Okay, Harisenbon i don't think that anyone here wants to listen to you crusihing peoples dreams. Have you tried to be a game designer or what ever that deluded person said they wanted to be? and you cant honestly be serious about games being so much more expensive in Japan where demand is higher! it defies all logic where as games selling at £40 here would be reasonable because they have to travel so far and not many people play them here.

Crushing people's dreams or not, I'm just speaking from experience. I was a graphic designer and programmer in college. I worked for a game company in the states, and know what it takes to be a game developer. Ideas are a dime a dozen, and you generally have to prove yourself with programming talents or start your own company if you're going to get anywhere near the developer position.

I did some cartooning in america, and even that was a hard niche to break into, with the newspaper syndicates and all. I have some cartoonist friends here in Japan and they work like mad little dogs. They're not famous enough to have their own comic, so they just work on other people's comics as inkers, typists, etc.

Video games are damn expensive here. Even Ninja Gaiden, which is for the least popular game system (Xbox) was 9000 yen (about 90 american or 45 pounds) when it came out. I can find it used for around 6000 yen. My friend preordered his averant children box set for 30,000 yen (300 american 150 pounds)

Niche markets, brands, and small run items are incredibly expensive here. I have tshirts that are over 8000 yen. BApe baseball cap? 5000 yen. Anime? I rent it because it's too expensive to buy. But the books are cheap. Japan is a very literate society, and books are the cheapest thing you'll find anywhere. 300 yen for a manga that you would buy for 14 pounds in England? It's because it's a common commodity that everyone buys. Brands and niche markets can get away with charging exorbinate ammounts, so they do.

If you don't want to listen to my advice, that's fine. No one's forcing to. But I have gone through what a lot of people on this site are setting themselves up for. I have lived here for some amount of time, and have a lot of friends in many professions. I don't claim to be an expert on anything, I'm still learning alot, but I do want to share my experiences to help people gain a better of understanding of life in Japan, and to show people that it's not just all manga and anime. And once you understand that, you can start to have an idea of how to make a life in this wonderful country.

As they say, "Knowing is half the battle."
Last edited by Harisenbon on Fri 09.02.2005 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 09.02.2005 8:56 pm

Spaztick wrote:
Poor Harisenbon. :) Do you and your wife live in the States or overseas in Japan?

Yay! thanks for the sympathy! my friends have gotten tired of me bitching that she's not around. *laugh*

We live in Japan, and she's currently taking a trip to Egypt with one of her school friends. Only 3 more days!
Harisenbon

Postby Gakusha » Fri 09.02.2005 11:49 pm

This is exactly why I stay away from the anime/manga board. It's full of ignorant people who haven't got a clue about what the real world is all about. There is more to life than pink hair and big blue eyes. I can't even begin to assess trying to make a living in Japan as a graphic artist. "Scraping by," as someone mentioned, won't cut it in my book. My plan for anytime and anyplace in life is to always have a steady income and savings to back it up. If someone really believes they could make a living doing something like that, they should start their career in the United States and then start gradually taking business trips to Japan. THEN consider moving there if your heart so desires. Always establish yourself well before taking a big step in your life.

Also, I don't know how she did it, but while my friend was in Tokyo she got me a Detective Conan manga for 379円. Maybe it was a clearance deal or something.
赤い猿の学者
Gakusha

Postby Kates » Sat 09.03.2005 12:00 am

Sounds like she knows about Book-Off. God Bless that store... we need one in Kalamazoo.... ): I collected the entire "Hana yori Dango" series for about 100 yen apiece. ^_^ (There are, of course, other places to get good manga deals... but Book-Off is KING.)
Kates

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 09.03.2005 12:58 am

379 I believe is the going price for most manga in Japan. *checks bookshelf* nope. 390. But at book-off you can get recent but used manga for around 250, and 100 for older stuff.

They also have a nice selection of video games, movies, real books, etc.
Harisenbon

Postby Kakashi » Sat 09.03.2005 6:38 am

right well, like i said, its not my only opsion, plus im only going to go (maybe) in 5 years so i got plenty of time.
I am not part of the bakery conspiracy!
Beware! The bakery knows all...
Kakashi

Postby typhoon » Sat 09.03.2005 7:51 am

KINGDOM HEARTS
¥7,140 = $65

Final Fantasy x
¥8,190 = $ 74.57

But sorry, I just thought that games in japan should be so much cheaper *meh* and for God's sake please learn to spell option
hey is you wanna e-mail or contact via an msn or yahoo i would be really grateful to learn japanese from anyone! thanks
typhoon

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion