Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Musical theory question

Musical theory question

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Musical theory question

Postby Orion114250 » Wed 04.15.2009 10:43 pm

i'm not entirely sure where to post this so i'm sorry if i ended up in the wrong spot. the music and movie forum looked more geared to actual songs more than musical principles...and the translation forum seemed more geared to actual phrases in japanese.

my question is more general: in the american music system we use the notes A-G in combination with flats, sharps and naturals. my question is this: what are the names of the notes in japan. furthermore, what are some important things to know about classical music in Japan, perticularly things that a student would need to know.

thanks and once again sorry if this is the wrong forum.
Orion114250

Native language: english

Re: Musical theory question

Postby coco » Thu 04.16.2009 9:06 am

Orion114250 wrote:my question is more general: in the american music system we use the notes A-G in combination with flats, sharps and naturals. my question is this: what are the names of the notes in japan.

Although I'm not sure if I correctly understood your questions or not, イロハニホヘト is used for A B C D E F G respectively.

長調(ちょうちょう) means "Major", 短調 (たんちょう) is for "Minor", 変(へん) x長調 represents "x Flat Major", 変x短調 is "x Flat Minor", 嬰(えい) x長調 is "x Sharp Major", 嬰x短調 is "x Sharp Minor".

A major → イ長調
A minor → イ短調
A flat major → 変イ長調   
A flat minor → 変イ短調=嬰ト短調
A sharp minor → 嬰イ短調=変ロ短調

G major → ト長調
G minor → ト短調
G flat major → 変ト長調
G sharp minor → 嬰ト短調=変イ短調

Wikipedia may help you.

furthermore, what are some important things to know about classical music in Japan, perticularly things that a student would need to know.

It could be better if you tell us your purpose of this question.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Orion114250 » Thu 04.16.2009 2:51 pm

thank you this is exactly what i was looking for! however the problem i ran into very quickly was i can't read kanji yet. i'm going to eventually, but for now i am illiterate. if you could include romanji or hiragana so i can learn to speak those words, it would be greatly appreciated.

i wish to spend a semester abroad when i get to college. i hope to major in percussion. if it is not to much to ask, everyday phrases for musicians would be much appreciated.

thanks again,
Orion
Orion114250

Postby kurisuto » Thu 04.16.2009 2:59 pm

He gave you the hiragana readings for each of those words in parentheses (the ones that don't have the readings are those that already appeared earlier in his post, you just have to recognise them).
kurisuto

Native language: French

Postby coco » Thu 04.16.2009 10:34 pm

Orion114250 wrote:i wish to spend a semester abroad when i get to college. i hope to major in percussion. if it is not to much to ask, everyday phrases for musicians would be much appreciated.

I see.
As far as I know, Italian music teams are primarily used for reading a classical music score, like this.
But
∮(G-clef?) is called ト音記号(とおん きごう).
 (F-clef?) is called ヘ音記号(ヘおん きごう).
♯ is called シャープ ( same as English, but is pronounced with the Japanese accent.)
♭is フラットas well.  

I think you will be able to read this kind of pages if you keep learning Japanese.

However, unless you are going to learn Japanese Classical Music, it is not so important to remember each term since you can play the instrument by reading a music score, right?
I think that learning Japanese language is more important if you are going to spend a semester in Japan. At the same time, I am wondering if it is worth learning Japanese language in order to spend only a semester in Japan, instead of other countries of Europe.

In any case, I guess you have enough time to decide your future.
(I hope my poor English makes sense.)

Good luck with your studies. :)

-----
kurisutoさん、ご説明ありがとうございました。 :)
coco

Postby itsumonaratteimasu » Thu 04.16.2009 11:37 pm

"Percussion" は日本語で『打楽器」です。「はつおん:だがっき」

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/打楽器 <<-- Here is the Japanese wikipedia page that has a long list of percussion instruments. Most of them are in カタカナ so you should be able to figure out most things from the sound. If not, it is wikipedia, so there should be pictures. ^_^

I spent six weeks at a high school in Japan a couple of years ago and was part of their band for a short time (I also play percussion ^_^). I was able to follow along for the most part because after all, reading music is reading music. If you are going to be part of a group, I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with certain phrases that a conductor would normally use (i.e. "begin at measure..." "play softer/slower/more expressive" "stop at measure..." etc). As I'm sure you know, they're not going to wait around for you to figure out what he said, they're just going to start playing. Also, an observation (from band and music class), most students tended to use the solfege (do re mi...) system to refer to notes. In the music class we were playing handbells one day and I had to help explain to everyone which bell corresponded to which not on the staff (the bells were marked with letters). So just make sure you have no hesitation connecting in your head which syllable equals which note.

Good luck!
itsumonaratteimasu

Native language: English

Postby Orion114250 » Fri 04.17.2009 2:36 am

thank you both coco and itsumonaratteimasu for your vast amounts of information. you have given me the insite i was hoping for. you have also shown me that i should learn to read, write and speak japanese much better than i already know. (this is good because i was getting ahead of myself... :oops: ) i hope that i might be able to return the favor someday.

P.S. if there is anything else that should cross our mind... PM me. :wink:
P.P.S. coco, i had to check your profile to realize english was not your first language. you speak (or write anyway) like you were raised in an english home. :)
Orion114250

Postby CajunCoder » Thu 04.23.2009 3:43 pm

What about ド、レ、ミ、ファ、ソ、ラ、ティ、ド? I see those used a lot for C through C, but I've never seen イロハニホヘト。 Is that only used in classical music?
CajunCoder

Postby coco » Thu 04.23.2009 8:19 pm

CajunCoder wrote:What about ド、レ、ミ、ファ、ソ、ラ、ティ、ド?

各音は、ド・レ・ミ・ファ・ソ・ラ・シ・ドと呼びます。
but I've never seen イロハニホヘト。 Is that only used in classical music?

私が知る限り、クラシックだけだと思います。
ピアノを習ったことがある人なら、「ハ長調」 「転調」などといった呼び方は知っているはずです。 
ピアノの世帯普及率は約25%なので、かなり多くの人が知っていると思います。
coco

Return to Japanese General Discussion