A new JP-EN/EN-JP dictionary is in order.

Japanese, general discussion on the language
Post Reply
James.T
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon 06.22.2009 1:38 am
Native language: English (英語)
Gender: Male
Location: Charlotte, NC. USA

A new JP-EN/EN-JP dictionary is in order.

Post by James.T » Mon 06.22.2009 4:20 am

Well, the old one got ruined in a freak accident incvolving vinegar, so I am in the market for a new one.
I used to have a little, yellow, Langeschiedt one, and it served it's purpose, but I feel like I can invest in something a little more substantial.
I would like one that uses a similar method for lookup, in the Japanese to English section, as dictionaries in Japan. I don't mind learning a new method (Radicals and all), but really, I'd appriciate any advice.

Plus I love books from Japanese publishers... the paper looks and feels fantastic, but that's beside the point :oops: Hehe.

James.T
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon 06.22.2009 1:38 am
Native language: English (英語)
Gender: Male
Location: Charlotte, NC. USA

Re: A new JP-EN/EN-JP dictionary is in order.

Post by James.T » Mon 06.22.2009 4:22 am

In fact this is the one I saw early at another book store, but didn't want to link since it would be rude.

User avatar
Dustin
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun 07.13.2008 9:41 pm
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: A new JP-EN/EN-JP dictionary is in order.

Post by Dustin » Mon 06.22.2009 8:01 pm

James.T wrote:In fact this is the one I saw early at another book store, but didn't want to link since it would be rude.


If you are looking at that dictionary, a friend of mine already has it and loves it.

It has sample sentences, furigana, lots of words, I have not bought it yet, but plan on it ^^

I would also get a substantial Kanji dictionary if I were you ( as you mentioned radicals etc. )

User avatar
astaroth
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon 12.22.2008 5:08 am
Native language: Italiano「伊語」
Location: Amherst, MA
Contact:

Re: A new JP-EN/EN-JP dictionary is in order.

Post by astaroth » Mon 06.22.2009 8:56 pm

I have the furigana dictionary and really like it. I bought the jp-en/en-jp version, but if I were to buy it now, I would rather buy just the en→jp version plus a kanji dictionary as I don't use the jp→en side very much.
ー 流光 ー

   花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 

Sairana
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed 02.27.2008 11:54 pm
Native language: (US) English
Gender: Female

Re: A new JP-EN/EN-JP dictionary is in order.

Post by Sairana » Tue 06.23.2009 12:43 am

astaroth wrote:I have the furigana dictionary and really like it. I bought the jp-en/en-jp version, but if I were to buy it now, I would rather buy just the en→jp version plus a kanji dictionary as I don't use the jp→en side very much.


Pardon, but that sounds like a recipe for disaster. How do you know you're selecting the right word from the en->jp if you aren't doing a reverse lookup on the jp words?

User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: A new JP-EN/EN-JP dictionary is in order.

Post by Yudan Taiteki » Tue 06.23.2009 7:25 am

Sairana wrote:
astaroth wrote:I have the furigana dictionary and really like it. I bought the jp-en/en-jp version, but if I were to buy it now, I would rather buy just the en→jp version plus a kanji dictionary as I don't use the jp→en side very much.


Pardon, but that sounds like a recipe for disaster. How do you know you're selecting the right word from the en->jp if you aren't doing a reverse lookup on the jp words?


The dictionary has example sentences, so you don't really need reverse lookup.
-Chris Kern

James.T
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon 06.22.2009 1:38 am
Native language: English (英語)
Gender: Male
Location: Charlotte, NC. USA

Re: A new JP-EN/EN-JP dictionary is in order.

Post by James.T » Tue 06.23.2009 7:48 am

Thanks for all the responses. As I said, I do have the Kanji Learners dictionary which is proving useful in the earlier stages of Kanji study. I also have the particle dictionary from kodansha, and that has example sentences as well, so if it's like that, I am sold.
Thank you again, Dustin, astaroth, sairana, and Yudan, for the help. Looks like I am off to do some shopping.

Sairana
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed 02.27.2008 11:54 pm
Native language: (US) English
Gender: Female

Re: A new JP-EN/EN-JP dictionary is in order.

Post by Sairana » Tue 06.23.2009 3:06 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:The dictionary has example sentences, so you don't really need reverse lookup.


Ooh.. maybe I should get myself one eventually, then. I typically just use WWJDIC, but it'd probably be good to have a paper format dictionary, too.

Post Reply