Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How do Japanese People Type in Japanese?

How do Japanese People Type in Japanese?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

How do Japanese People Type in Japanese?

Postby jcdietz03 » Fri 07.10.2009 12:46 am

So, when I type Japanese, I do so by typing in romaji. So when I type, I see:
Type A ->あ
Type R ->あr
Type U ->ある
etc...

When I was watching an anime character type Japanese, they do not type like that. So I was wondering how it is that Japanese people type in Japanese. Do they have a special keyboard with QWERTY and hiragana on the same keys?
jcdietz03

Re: How do Japanese People Type in Japanese?

Postby furrykef » Fri 07.10.2009 1:00 am

There are such keyboards (and in fact I have one, though I find it's not worth the trouble), but in my understanding, very few people use them, even in Japan. I wouldn't really expect to find realistic typing in an anime... you'll notice that computer use on TV and in movies -- in any language -- is rarely realistic either, even when it's live action, let alone in cartoons. ;)

So, most people type exactly the same way you type, though they do have a couple of extra keys to make it a bit easier (to switch from kana to romaji, for example, or hiragana and katakana).

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Hyperworm » Fri 07.10.2009 3:57 pm

Most Japanese keyboards/laptops will have qwerty and kana on the same keys, but that doesn't mean you have to type on them in kana mode, where one key corresponds to one kana. As furrykef says, most people will type in romaji-mode. Either the character in the anime was typing in kana-mode, or it's just simplistically animated.

That's just that one scene you watched, of course. I've often seen regular Japanese typing in anime. For instance, this section of Azumanga Daioh (jump to 2:15).
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Fri 07.10.2009 4:49 pm

Animating accurate typing would require twice as many frames, which would require twice as much drawing time, which means you can't get your daily show finished on time.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby jcdietz03 » Fri 07.10.2009 5:47 pm

Thank you for the replies. That answers my question.
jcdietz03

Return to Japanese General Discussion