Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Free labor wanted

Free labor wanted

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Free labor wanted

Postby Dehitay » Sat 07.25.2009 9:13 pm

I'm currently making an online Japanese vocabulary quizzing system. It's in its initial stages and therefore looks ugly and and isn't that impressive, but does run. My problem is that I need to increase the size of the vocabulary database, which means adding thousands of vocabulary entries. Considering how fast I move, I decided it would be a lot smarter if I got other people to add them for me. If any of you want to help increase the size of the database, just post here or PM me and I'll tell you how you can help. However, I'm also half paranoid, so I'm looking for help from more familiar names on the forum. So if you offer to help and I decline your generosity, don't be offended. That just means that I think you're a thieving criminal who can't be trusted with the simplest task, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

For those of you interested in the quiz thing but not the helping, you can start playing around with it if you want, but it's not going to be that entertaining until the vocabulary list increases a good deal and I add some more features. Currently, it's basic as hell and has 10 words in the database. But still, check it out if you want
www.bananamonkeyninja.com/vocabulary
To take a quiz, just click the first link and then enter any name you want. A quick warning: if by awkward coincidence somebody takes the test the same time as you and uses the same name, there's a good chance that your answers will be considered wrong. I was planning on tying the test to the user list at this site, but since it's currently running on my own site, I'm just letting the username be entered manually.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Re: Free labor wanted

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 07.26.2009 3:33 pm

Could you not make use of Jim Breen's EDICT vocabulary database and save yourself the hassle of reinventing the wheel?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Dehitay » Sun 07.26.2009 3:48 pm

I probly should look at it. But even if I was to use it, some of the English translations are a bit more wordy than I would like for a small quiz. Though that itself isn't a big deal, I was also planning to add grammar, category, and level information for each entry. For most cases, grammar could be taken from the dictionary, but I don't think there are category and level information available. Also, I'm not sure every entry in EDICT is worth putting in the database as some rarely used words will appear on some quizzes, and more useful vocabulary may appear less often.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sun 07.26.2009 4:06 pm

If you are familiar with IRC, there is a Japanese community on #LearnJapanese on irc.rizon.net(Use Mirc or something similar). On this channel there are several bots with huge amounts of quizes in different categories, such as jlpt1, jlpt2, jlpt3, jlpt4, animals and so forth. Some of them are at least based on edict. So as Mike says, if you can integrate that, you save yourself huge amounts of work.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Return to Japanese General Discussion