Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Girl Names, New baby!

Japanese Girl Names, New baby!

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Re: Japanese Girl Names, New baby!

Postby AJBryant » Wed 08.12.2009 6:03 am

KINGZ wrote: Also lets face it, the more common a name is for a kid, the more likely the kid will fall in line like the other sheep.

I weep for you. No, wait.

For the kids.

For that attitude.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby KINGZ » Wed 08.12.2009 11:20 am

lol that’s just the way I see the world, yea I know it not the way everyone else thinks, but if everyone thought and did the same thing, life would be veeeeeeeery boring. Yea there would be no conflict, but there also would be innovation either. I’m sure some ppl find it odd that we want to learn Japanese, but thats just who we are and what we like to do, its not main stream.

But that’s the good thing about the US, we can agree to disagree, :wink:
KINGZ

Postby leonl » Wed 08.12.2009 3:16 pm

KINGZ wrote:

As for common names, I’m not looking for common names. I looking for names with meaning to them more then anything, and let’s face it, most American names don’t have meaning. Also lets face it, the more common a name is for a kid, the more likely the kid will fall in line like the other sheep.

This statement, or rather the sentiment behind it is why words like weaboo, and wapanese are used as slurs nowadays.
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Postby phreadom » Wed 08.12.2009 3:32 pm

http://www.meaning-of-names.com/

Also, many American and English names are biblical in origin. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, Paul, Thomas, Aaron, Adam, Christian, Daniel, David, Eli, Ethan, Gabriel, Jacob (which I believe is KINGZ's own name), James, Jason, Jesse, Joel, Jordan, Joseph, Phillip, Samuel, Simon, Stephen etc... and those are just the more common ones.

And every one of those names has a meaning behind it, and those are just the boys names.

http://www.christian-mommies.com/ages/b ... aby-names/

I think it's a little ridiculous to say that American names don't have any meaning, especially when ONE MINUTE on google could soundly disabuse you of that notion.

For instance my first and middle name, Justin Dean, mean "Judicious (Irish) Leader (English)" or similar. Your own name (Jacob) means Heel-Catcher. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby astaroth » Wed 08.12.2009 3:44 pm

KINGZ wrote:
As for common names, I’m not looking for common names. I looking for names with meaning to them more then anything, and let’s face it, most American names don’t have meaning. Also lets face it, the more common a name is for a kid, the more likely the kid will fall in line like the other sheep.

That's quite wrong. Any name has a meaning, the fact some people don't know Greek or Latin or Hebrew to understand it is another matter altogether.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby lonelytraveler8 » Wed 08.12.2009 10:00 pm

It's true that names commonly used in the US have meanings, but I don't think most people typically care about or even know of the meaning when naming their children. Most of the time, it's just whatever sounds best or whatever the parents like. "I don't like the name Anne, how about Crystal?" seems like a rather common type of thing here.

I could be mistaken, but the meanings of names in Japanese is typically much more apparent, so although he's wrong about names used in the US having no meaning, the point I interpreted from it still seems to stand. I also wouldn't condone using a Japanese name for someone without any Japanese heritage. Well, maybe if you were to pick one with an expected English pronunciation similar to that of the actual Japanese pronunciation. But even then, it'll likely just seem odd.

I've known people with names like Chamae (shaw-may) and some other odd sounding names, and I typically love them.
Blog: http://www.LicensedToChaos.arcrpg.co.cc
Do you like to roleplay? Have you heard of Play-By-Post? Give it a shot at ARCRPG and help us build a great community.
lonelytraveler8

Postby leonl » Wed 08.12.2009 10:17 pm

lonelytraveler8 wrote:It's true that names commonly used in the US have meanings, but I don't think most people typically care about or even know of the meaning when naming their children. Most of the time, it's just whatever sounds best or whatever the parents like. "I don't like the name Anne, how about Crystal?" seems like a rather common type of thing here.

I could be mistaken, but the meanings of names in Japanese is typically much more apparent, so although he's wrong about names used in the US having no meaning, the point I interpreted from it still seems to stand. I also wouldn't condone using a Japanese name for someone without any Japanese heritage. Well, maybe if you were to pick one with an expected English pronunciation similar to that of the actual Japanese pronunciation. But even then, it'll likely just seem odd.

I've known people with names like Chamae (shaw-may) and some other odd sounding names, and I typically love them.

The problem with the point he was making as I and I think a few others have interpreted is mainly.
1. He seems to think giving his daughter a common japanese baby name will automatically make her standout and be independent

2. The underlying tone of America/English things are not on the same level as Japanese things, In this case names. When in actuality neither is better than the other.
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Postby lonelytraveler8 » Wed 08.12.2009 11:58 pm

I think your number 1 was a point he made elsewhere, but the second one was definitely implied and I hope I didn't imply it myself. I rarely look at things as better or worse, instead I just understand things/people/cultures/etc to be different and nothing more.

As a side note, I have to say that, depending on the subject, such a view can be difficult to maintain, but I try to do so nonetheless.

At the OP, I personally don't think there's anything wrong with naming a child whatever you want, as long as it's for the right reasons. What the right reason would be is up to opinion, but "it's Japanese" or "it sounds 'cool'" wouldn't fit to me.
Do you like to roleplay? Have you heard of Play-By-Post? Give it a shot at ARCRPG and help us build a great community.
lonelytraveler8

Postby Infidel » Thu 08.13.2009 2:02 am

Just stay out of the super popular names. It sucks being in a room with five friends and three are named John, and two are named Alex.

Don't try to be creative. It sucks having people always misspell or mispronounce your name.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 08.13.2009 5:56 am

Infidel wrote:Just stay out of the super popular names. It sucks being in a room with five friends and three are named John, and two are named Alex.

Don't try to be creative. It sucks having people always misspell or mispronounce your name.

I remember being in a high school classroom of about 30 people, probably with about an even male/female representation....and SEVEN of the boys were named "Michael". We were all pretty well used to going by our last names.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby lonelytraveler8 » Thu 08.13.2009 6:35 am

I call every single friend named John/Jon that I know by his last name. No exception. A couple of them find it odd, but they got used to it. I "only" know three that I speak to somewhat regularly right now, though.
lonelytraveler8

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 08.13.2009 9:12 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Infidel wrote:Just stay out of the super popular names. It sucks being in a room with five friends and three are named John, and two are named Alex.

I remember being in a high school classroom of about 30 people, probably with about an even male/female representation....and SEVEN of the boys were named "Michael". We were all pretty well used to going by our last names.

I was quite the opposite.. I was 17 before I met someone with my name Morgan. The funny thing for me was that the person was a girl. I knew of Morgan Fairchild and Morgan Freeman. Now, however, it appears the name Morgan is used a bit more frequently.. Not at the level that you mention Mike, but I do meet Morgan's alot more now than I did when I was younger. In fact everyone thought my first name was my last name.
two_heads_talking

Postby KINGZ » Thu 08.13.2009 12:20 pm

My statement on the subject my have been a bit misconstrued, mainly on my part for the way I presented it.

First off, I was not just looking only at Japanese names, I wanted something Japanese but it was not a high priority. Nor did I ever say I wanted a common Japanese names, I just posted only about Japanese names here to keep this list concise and not get way off topic.

My Priority in naming my only girl and my last child would break down something like this.

1. As spoken: How well the first, middle and last name roles off the tong smoothly
2. Meaning: Does the name have a meaning that would fit a girl
3. Common: How unique the name is, nothing to common.
4. Origin: Origins of the name
5. Wife: What does the wife think of the name
Item 4 and 5 can be switched around too, LOL

I do believe a name can pull you from a crowd of ppl, and make you more recognizable, but that’s just a small part of it, your personality and looks also play major rolls in that. Just in our office alone we have 5 Rick, 5 John, 4 Jesus, 2 Rich, 2 Matt, 2 Todd, now this company has less then 60 employees.

I also did not want anything to complex to pronounce, that’s a problem in itself. I did do a search on US names and meanings, and your right, most of them have meanings, but I don’t think I want my child name to mean: Good is good, Fame, Hardy Power, universal, My God, Son of *, Elf Army, yea elf Army is the meaning for Olivia, I verrrrry common US name

Currently our list of names stands at about 50, at the top 3 would be Naomi, Sakura, Skyler, but that could all change. I’m not a big fan of skyler, sounds like a stripper’s name.
KINGZ

Postby astaroth » Thu 08.13.2009 12:37 pm

KINGZ wrote:Elf Army, yea elf Army is the meaning for Olivia, I verrrrry common US name

I don't know where you got those meanings from but Olivia derives from the Latin ulivum meaning olive tree ...
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby KINGZ » Thu 08.13.2009 1:07 pm

astaroth wrote:
KINGZ wrote:Elf Army, yea elf Army is the meaning for Olivia, I verrrrry common US name

I don't know where you got those meanings from but Olivia derives from the Latin ulivum meaning olive tree ...

I went to a few sites, some had an enlish meaning Elf Army, some did not, they all had the Latin meaning.. Ref http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.co ... livia.html
KINGZ

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion