Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Articles: The Good Stuff:P

Articles: The Good Stuff:P

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Articles: The Good Stuff:P

Postby Beau » Mon 09.19.2005 1:27 am

Hey...

A lot of people I know ask "how do you swear in Japanese?"

It's said by many that japanese doesn't have "bad words"... but this is a blatant lie. Who'd like me to post a comprehensive guide to swearing in Japanese?

Also, many people seem to be interested in Osaka Dialect, but trying to find any information about it on the internet can be damned near impossible. I'm learning Osaka-ben from my girlfriend, and one of my sensei's father's spoke Osaka-ben, so she knows quite a bit, and is helping me too. Who would like me to post an article on Osaka-ben when I get a bit better?
Beau

RE: Articles: The Good Stuff:P

Postby Justin » Mon 09.19.2005 4:53 am

ojizosan wrote:
It's said by many that japanese doesn't have "bad words"... but this is a blatant lie. Who'd like me to post a comprehensive guide to swearing in Japanese?

Well, there are definatly words that are considered "bad" is some form or another, it's still really no comparison to what we have with English though, or at least that's what I've come to understand from my own experiences.

Not to say you can't piss someone off by saying something "bad" in Japanese, but there's just not quite the four letter type of bad words we have were you'd get your mouth washed out with soap if you said them. Take for example something like 'don't f*** around' type of phrase, the closest thing I could think of that would work in Japanese would be 'fuzakeru na' which you hear on TV quite often, and I've even seen my instructors use forms of 'fuzakeru' towards a student when he/she was screwing around, and to tell you the truth, it's just not even close to what we could say in English with a few words.

Personally I would like to have you post your comprehensive guide to swearing in Japanese so I may take a look at all I'm missing out on. I'd be really interested to see what you have for single Japanese words that can be offensive as some of the words we have in English.

ojizosan wrote:
Also, many people seem to be interested in Osaka Dialect, but trying to find any information about it on the internet can be damned near impossible. I'm learning Osaka-ben from my girlfriend, and one of my sensei's father's spoke Osaka-ben, so she knows quite a bit, and is helping me too. Who would like me to post an article on Osaka-ben when I get a bit better?

There may not be all that many English website pertaining to Kansai-ben, but if you take a look on the Japanese side of things, there's plenty to be had. Personally I don't think you should dive into something like Kansai-ben without an extemly good basis of Japanese to work off of first, as lets face it, Japanese is hard enough to learn anyway, no need to throw Kansai-ben into the mix if you can't fully understand and use 'normal' Japanese.

With that said, here are a few sites I found with a quick google search...

Dictionary full of Kansai-ben words:
http://www2g.biglobe.ne.jp/~gomma/ajiten.html

Basic Lessons about Kansai-ben:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/GANSO_hirokun/kouza00.html

Basic Lessons about Kansai-ben:
http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/~denjin/menu.html

If you're looking for a good book, and you're in the intermediate/advanced area, I highly recommend this book written by some of my instructors:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4872347838/qid=1127118756/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/250-7724535-6785013
Justin

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 09.19.2005 6:54 am

Japanese is different than english in that words are not considered to be "bad" in of themselves, but rather in the situation that they are used.

For example, if a kid says おまえ to one of his friends, no big deal. An adult says it to their child, no prob. A kid says it to their teacher, they're going to get a scolding.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Beau » Mon 09.19.2005 7:34 am

As for お前, it's not so much a matter of kids vs adult usage, rather, it's how close you are. If you said it to a stranger of equal social standing, it would still be offensive.
Beau

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 09.19.2005 1:24 pm

you guys are forgetting those various kinky words used to refer to naughty bits while you're getting hot and heavy with your j-girl and/or boy. but you're right, there is no f-word in japanese that i'm aware of. so what i'm wondering is, how would you translate george carlin?
skrhgh3b

Postby Beau » Tue 09.20.2005 9:51 am

If I post an article, it will be slang and swearing. There'll be quite a lot there, i should think. I'm not in Japan, so i'm not up with the hottest slang, so I'll only include those which have stood the test of time- ones that may be a bit old, but are still in use, and look to be for quite some time to come. My only reservation is that the article won't be suitable for all ages... :S
Beau

Postby Spaztick » Tue 09.20.2005 11:23 am

The articles, and likewise this topic, will be kept clean. If people want to know how to swear or insult people in Japanese, they can look it up themselves. The moderators are rightfuly worried that it could either get out of hand or lead to worse, so I'm asking that you don't make an article for this site about swearing in Japanese.

I could give you some slack and let you post about insults, but that much slack may be too much, we have kids as young as 11 on here, and it's better they not learn this in Japanese, since they shouldn't be doing it in English in the first place.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 09.21.2005 12:45 am

kids aren't remotely as innocent as we give them credit for. come on, don't you remember being a kid? they're little monsters, that's what they are. they'll enjoy this article more than anyone :D
skrhgh3b

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 09.21.2005 1:48 am

Teaching someone to swear in a foreign langauge is not a good thing. It makes them seem like morons. I have a number of bulgarian friends who swear constantly. They can't function in normal society because every other word out of their mouths is F*** or S***. If students of Japanese run around saying 馬鹿 or お前 or whatnot, it lowers people's opinion of them, and of foreigners in general.

It's not a matter of shielding them from bad words, but rather not reinforcing a desire to use bad words.
Harisenbon

Postby Daisuke » Wed 09.21.2005 8:35 am

We won't have an article about swearing or anything alike, and that's how it's going to be.

All submissions of articles about it will be deleted.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 09.21.2005 9:36 am

Thank you, Daisuke.
Harisenbon

Postby Beau » Wed 09.21.2005 10:10 am

Well, i respect the moderators wishes. However, having said that, Harisenbon, it's not just about being able to hurl swearwords at other people. It's about knowing what they are when you come across them as well. Nothing was as embarassing as when I asked my sensei (a kind, reserved japanese lady) what "senzuri" meant.

I'd like to get the mods' thoughts on the osaka ben thing too.
Beau

Postby toni » Wed 09.21.2005 12:20 pm

I can't see anything wrong with teaching people how to swear in Japanese. Swearwords BELONG to a language, like it or not. But I do respect the decision not to introduce such words in this web site, it's a very smart thing to do because there are also kids here.

Have to admit...I don't know any Japanese swearwords! ;)
toni

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 09.21.2005 1:11 pm

er, how does one submit an article, anyways? sorry, but i'm a noob (^^;
skrhgh3b

Postby Justin » Wed 09.21.2005 2:51 pm

ojizosan wrote:
I'd like to get the mods' thoughts on the osaka ben thing too.

I don't see why anyone would have any objections if you wanted to write an article about Kansai-ben. I could see why the mods wouldn't want a swearing type article on the site, as I'm sure 99% of the people couldn't handle it, but I wouldn't see any problems at all with something about Kansai-ben.

Dealing with something link Kansai-ben, I think it's going to be quite the task to write a good article, I do hope the best of luck to you though. There's fair amount of good info in those links I posted above, and I'm sure if you did some more searching, there's probably some other great sites to be found too. Don't be too hard on the GF when it comes the Kansai-ben studies though, wouldn't want to make her feel like your teacher, rather than your GF. ;)
Justin

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion