Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Funny cooking instructions

Funny cooking instructions

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Funny cooking instructions

Postby tōkai devotee » Wed 04.28.2010 3:30 am

I made a Japanese curry rice last night for dinner using a packet of Golden Curry and the instructions on the packet say おいしい作り方
I had to laugh! I mean, I thought why do they put it like that? There aren't any おいしくない作り方 :think:
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Re: Funny cooking instructions

Postby ss » Wed 04.28.2010 9:07 pm

:think: ahem..... sorry Karen, I didn't quite understand.

By the way, did you make おいしいカレーライス? :wink:
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby tōkai devotee » Wed 04.28.2010 9:59 pm

Sorry, Shirley!! It must be this head cold I have at the moment. But I thought おいしい作り方 was funny! :think: :wink: :lol: It's just that I would've expected it just to say 作り方 , not to add おいしい there.

And yes, I did make very おいしいカレーライス !! It's the 2nd time I've made curry rice recently and the 1st time I used Golden Curry. I used diced lamb, onions, potatoes, carrots and celery. It was really yummy!! My daughter loved it too. My son, however, wouldn't even try it :(
tōkai devotee

Postby ss » Wed 04.28.2010 10:46 pm

Karen,

I see this おいしい作り方 printing in packages sometimes, it doesn't sound strange to me, or perhaps I've missed something? It's kind of similar to saying おいしいレシピ or short way of saying おいしいマフィンの作り方 (recipe for delicious muffin/how to make delicious muffin). It's like saying すしのいちばん古い作り方 (Old/Tradition way of making sushi). Or perhaps the package does not show the recipe, it's just the printing おいしい作り方?

My father loves vegetable curry, mom doesn't like that much, but she can cook delicious curry too. She loves adding berry egg-plants, lady's fingers, cabbage and a lot of potatoes!! I love to eat, don't like to cook, but I can bake おいしくないマフィン :whistle: :)
ss

Postby tōkai devotee » Wed 04.28.2010 11:34 pm

Maybe next time I use the remainder of the Golden Curry sauce mix, I think I'll make a vegetable curry, with pumpkin and potato. Cabbage sounds interesting! I've not thought of using cabbage before! I'd like to try カレーうどん one day because it's getting cold here, but I don't know if I'm brave enough!

By the way, Shirley, the package does have the recipe on it. It's in both Japanese and English.

Hey, good luck with the おいしくないマフィン!! :D  頑張ってね!
According to my kids, I make very おいしくないカスタードプディング  :sweatdrop:
tōkai devotee

Postby chikara » Thu 04.29.2010 3:45 am

tokai devotee wrote:..... It must be this head cold I have at the moment. But I thought おいしい作り方 was funny! .......

You're not taking cold medicine that contains alcohol are you :P

If you Google "delicious recipe" you will see that it is actually very common in English although I can't actually recall seeing it on packaging. While not a tautology the word "delicious" does seem superfluous for, as you suggest, who is going to market a product as using a "bad tasting recipe".

SS wrote:..... berry egg-plants, lady's fingers .....

What is a berry eggplant? Is that smaller than a "standard" eggplant?
(I realise that botanically eggplant is classed as a berry)

Are the "lady's fingers" lady finger bananas?

Sounds like an interesting recipe.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby ss » Thu 04.29.2010 7:18 am

Chikara wrote:
What is a berry eggplant? Is that smaller than a "standard" eggplant?
(I realise that botanically eggplant is classed as a berry)

Are the "lady's fingers" lady finger bananas?

People here often call it brinjal. There are different types of eggplants as you can see here.
http://img13.imageshack.us/i/eggplant4.jpg/

These are berry eggplants. They look like berries. One mini eggplant is bigger than the size of a grape, so we sometimes call it berry eggplant or baby eggplant. I think they are imported from India, I'm not so sure, though
http://img153.imageshack.us/i/eggplant1.jpg/

These are lady's fingers.
http://img11.imageshack.us/i/sfingers.jpg/
I've not heard of lady finger bananas, maybe I should ask my sis. :)
Do they look like bananas? I think they look more like a witch or a goblin's creepy fingers.

If I remember correctly, I think mom use ingredients like lemongrass, curry leaves and turmeric powder, as well. By the way, we have not tried using pumpkin to cook curry, maybe we should try it out too.
ss

Postby chikara » Thu 04.29.2010 7:56 pm

SS wrote:People here often call it brinjal. There are different types of eggplants as you can see here.
http://img13.imageshack.us/i/eggplant4.jpg/

These are berry eggplants. They look like berries. One mini eggplant is bigger than the size of a grape, so we sometimes call it berry eggplant or baby eggplant. I think they are imported from India, I'm not so sure, though
http://img153.imageshack.us/i/eggplant1.jpg/

Thanks for that info and pics SS-san.

I only see the large eggplants here. I buy pickled eggplant from my local Indian store and it is called "brinjal pickle".

SS wrote:These are lady's fingers.
http://img11.imageshack.us/i/sfingers.jpg/
I've not heard of lady finger bananas, maybe I should ask my sis. :)
Do they look like bananas? I think they look more like a witch or a goblin's creepy fingers. ....

I would call those "lady's fingers" okra. Lady Finger bananas are the same shape as most other bananas only a lot smaller and sweeter. They are usually about twice the price of the much larger and more common Cavendish bananas.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby ss » Thu 04.29.2010 8:52 pm

Thank you very much for your info too, Chikara-san.

It's interesting to learn that we are talking about the same things, but the way we call those are different in some countries. That day, a friend from 西安 (Xi An, China) said 土豆 (Tu Dou in Chinese), I thought she wanted to buy "peanuts" because that's how we called "peanuts". At the end, she was actually talking about potatoes.
ss

Return to Japanese General Discussion