Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A gift to the beginners among us

A gift to the beginners among us

Japanese, general discussion on the language

A gift to the beginners among us

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Thu 07.08.2010 12:50 pm

After reading a particular thread in the Intro section, I was inspired to make this thread to show the beginners that no one is immune to language gaffes. Of course, anyone is welcome to share their errors, but I think the focus should be on the intermediate and advanced speakers. Did the other party correct you? Do wish they had/hadn't?

The other day when I was talking with someone on mixi, I wanted to ask him about his 趣味(しゅみ)or hobbies and actually typed 臭味(しゅうみ)which means 'bad smell'! Stupid IME... He did correct me, which I was grateful for, but I was so embarrassed. I learned my lesson about using IME on kanji that I don't know at all.
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
The Lady Ashuko

Native language: English

Re: A gift to the beginners among us

Postby phreadom » Thu 07.08.2010 1:05 pm

This is going to sound totally random, but I think as a result of spending too much time on Facebook, when I read posts like yours the first thing I think of is clicking "Like"... but of course there isn't a "like" button on here. :P haha

Most of my mistakes so far are just grammar mistakes... I'm not advanced enough yet to be making vocabulary mistakes. :sweatdrop:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Thu 07.08.2010 4:23 pm

Grammar mistakes are okay too. When I first started learning Japanese I wasn't taking a class. I was an exchange student and just picked things up here and there. I wanted to eat lunch with the boys and so I asked my host mom how to ask them. All day long I practiced it, and it worked! Later when I tried to tell a friend of my accomplishment, 「男の子に昼ごはんを食べました」was what I said because I thought if it was issho ni then naturally it should be "otoko no ko ni". She laughed her butt off but wouldn't explain why :blush:
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
The Lady Ashuko

Postby furrykef » Sat 07.10.2010 1:17 pm

Even natives do this. I remember seeing a webpage -- I don't even know how to google for it, but maybe somebody here can find it -- dedicated to 変換ミス, which is when you type in the right thing but the wrong kanji for it come up and you don't notice. So it has some humorous examples of what they meant to type, compared to what they actually typed...

The Lady Ashuko wrote:Later when I tried to tell a friend of my accomplishment, 「男の子に昼ごはんを食べました」was what I said because I thought if it was issho ni then naturally it should be "otoko no ko ni". She laughed her butt off but wouldn't explain why :blush:

While I wouldn't have made this mistake (I would have used と in place of に... I hope that's correct!), I'm not sure what you ended up saying actually means. Would に specify what you ate?
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Sun 07.11.2010 12:10 am

furrykef wrote:While I wouldn't have made this mistake (I would have used と in place of に... I hope that's correct!), I'm not sure what you ended up saying actually means. Would に specify what you ate?

No, と is right. I know that now. It more or less translated to "I ate lunch at the boys" It doesn't really translate well. :sweatdrop:

It doesn't really seem like anyone wants to share their mistakes
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
The Lady Ashuko

Postby furrykef » Sun 07.11.2010 1:00 am

I'd share mine except I haven't made any. Well... obviously it's not true that I've never made mistakes with Japanese (lord knows I often give the wrong answers to my flash cards, and I can't write anything in my lang-8 journal without getting corrections), it's just that I've never made them in any notable capacity. In particular, I've never had a real conversation with a native speaker...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby kurisuto » Sun 07.11.2010 7:30 pm

Ah, well, it's not really funny, and like Furrykef I don't have much occasions to speak with natives (apart from teachers, or in written correspondance), but I have at least one.

There was a computational linguistics professor who came from Japan to introduce us to his academic field (of course he didn't come just for that, but I prefer this wording; it makes me feel special ;)). He didn't speak French quite well, but since his course was rather technical, he asked us in what language we would like him to speak. Since in this particular course most students were either natives or had been 留学生 unlike me, and that nobody answered, I told him 日本語でいいです。He immediately replied : そう、日本語でもいい. Not correcting me; simply repeating what I said as if, well, you know, like when you repeat something told you to think about it or prepare your next move.

The thing is, the omission of a single particle can sound quite rude, like "yeah, whatever. As long as you don't bother me". I think in most contexts it wouldn't be a real problem, but here it sounded quite off. Not to mention that from his POV, I'm part of the ingroup of my teachers, so yeah, I wasn't really proud!

By the way, good thread idea!
kurisuto

Native language: French

Return to Japanese General Discussion