Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Learning Japanese now as opposed to the past...

Learning Japanese now as opposed to the past...

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Learning Japanese now as opposed to the past...

Postby Die » Thu 10.06.2005 9:02 pm

What's your thoughts on this? I've been thinking about how hard it was to learn Japanese 10 years ago. My high school didn't offer the language so I had to learn a language I wasn't motivated to learn. Now I am seeing that more and more schools and professors are starting to teach Japanese. What do you think: Has Japanese become more accessible to students? I can only speak for America, in my observations. My university didn't even have a Japanese program 10 years ago. I'm hoping that one day, a good percentage of schools will be flexible and give more students opportunities to learn Japanese. It should start in the high school level.
Die

RE: Learning Japanese now as opposed to the past...

Postby Murdoc Murdoc » Thu 10.06.2005 11:07 pm

I think there still needs to be more places to lern the language here in north carolina the only school I can find in my home town that teaches japanese from what Im told you have to be a geniuse to goto but I'm suppose to be starting at a new school next year in january that is going to be starting teaching japanese and I'm going to take it I can't wait but the schools that do teach it in north carolina from what I'v been told started around 98 and the only reason is that north carolina has alot of japanese business coming here I guess thats what it takes to get schools to teach a language how much business we do with the county that speaks it but I think that every school should offer it and hopfully one day they will pluse don't all japanese schools teach some english to all their students so shouldn't we all atleast lern some japanese
Murdoc Murdoc

Postby kanadajin » Fri 10.07.2005 12:02 am

I would have to agree with Murdoc Murdoc in school there is no Japanese classes in Canada maybe some schools but none that i know of. I don't know of a place to go to either so i find it hard to learn japanese there should be more language classes i mean not only japanese but other languages too. Here all the languages we learn in school are french and spanish.. But you bearly learn spanish anyway. I know alot of teachers who speak Japanese but there arn't any japanese courses. It needs to be more accsesible..
kanadajin

Postby Cherie061403 » Fri 10.07.2005 1:16 am

There's nothing available in schools in my area for Learning Japanese. However the internet has obviously made Japanese available to anyone and everyone. I would say that it would have definatly been much harder. Especially thinking about the amount of anime here in the US available ten years ago.

Thanks internet! ^_^
Cherie061403

Postby Daisuke » Fri 10.07.2005 7:35 am

In Denmark, a school or any college teaching Japanese is be a rare sight. Most schools here teach German, French, Spanish and English of course. But also in Denmark more different languages are being taught in school lately. In college you might be able to choose Russian or Greek, maybe Chinese, and thats kinda new here.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby WacKostRacKo » Fri 10.07.2005 10:55 am

In england you can only learn japanese at university or private courses and tuition, ive just started a degree in japanese at cardiff uni and everyone else in my classes are complete beginners. Its quite off putting because i have been studying for a little while already.

I hope that more languages are taught sooner in the english education system than at present.
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

Postby Murdoc Murdoc » Sat 10.08.2005 3:34 pm

also I think that maby if in america more people wanted to lern japanese or any foreign language for that matter more schools would teach it but I know were I'm from everyone I know thinks I'm dump as dirt for wanting to lern any other language besides english all my friends think that english should be the manditory language for all of earth and that anyone that dosn't speak english is an idiot and should be foreced to lern it I think thats a big reason why alot of schools here don't teach to much in the foreign language department because most americans think that way and are lazy and also think everything should be exactly like america oh and on a side note I don't know about any one else here if their friends are like this but if I say anything that even sounds japanese around any of my friends they get mad as hell its actualy prety funny and then they try and explane why anything non english is stupid expecialy if its japanese
Murdoc Murdoc

Postby WacKostRacKo » Sat 10.08.2005 3:48 pm

i find that in england many people are really interested that im learning japanese, but they say it in a sort of 'im glad im not doing it' kind of way.
But personally i think everyone should learn a second language. Its really fun and very rewarding when you get it cracked. But unfortunatly there are very lazy people and or very stupid people who think that the world revolves around them. i bet that they are the first to 'take the mickey' when a foreigner cant pronounce an english world or has a strong accent. The joke is on them because that foreigners' english is more than likely a shit load better than the mickey takers' attempt at any other language.

Sorry, bit of a sore spot. Anyone else agree with me?
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

Postby Schattenjedi » Sat 10.08.2005 5:07 pm

It's only natural that if your mother tongue is the lingua franca, you won't be in such a rush to learn a foreign language. Props to those who do though. On a side note I'm eagerly awaiting to see how wide-spread Mandarin will become as China unleashes its potential. I think it's realistic that Mandarin will be the lingua franca of Asia in 50 years.
Schattenjedi

Postby Murdoc Murdoc » Sun 10.09.2005 1:16 am

I don't understand why more people don't want to lern a foreign language I read that there was a study that said a persons train of thought can only go as far as there language can call for so wouldn't lerning a new language help you to expand you'r train of thought making you think in a new way in a more detailed and complexe way pluse it opens you up to a whole new society
Murdoc Murdoc

Postby skrhgh3b » Sun 10.09.2005 1:53 am

i definitely think resources for japanese language learning are becoming increasingly available in the united states as a natural consequence of the recent boom in popularity of japanese animation and comic books, and i'm a little worried that this is only going to further provoke the hen-na gaijin complex in the collective japanese psyche. so, please, while you're in japan, try to hold your otaku in check ;)
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby mandolin » Sun 10.09.2005 2:02 am

Learning a foreign language is a difficult task, especially if your desire is to be fluent. From colloquialisms to nuances, learning the basics just generally isn't enough.

Also, there is a sort of 'need' element in learning another language. If you don't need to know it, why learn it? One generally does not just pick a language to learn at random (of course there are execptions). One usually has a reason. You like movies in that language. You wish to live in that country someday. You like the culture.

Whether the reason is great or small, it's motivation.

If your interest is foreign language and cultural studies, that's great. But it's not for anyone. An archeologist might as well ask you why you don't wander your back yard with a shovel hoping to dig up some ancient treasure. Or a historian might wonder why you don't have a wall-sized bookshelf in your room covered in nothing but books on historical facts and documentaries.

Many things broaden your horizons, not just a new language, and everyone pursues knowledge and intellectual fulfillment in different ways. Some people are content with a small world, and that's OK too.

Your friends shouldn't get down on you for your interest. But you shouldn't return the favor with ignorance of your own.
mandolin

Return to Japanese General Discussion