Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kamikaze

Kamikaze

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Kamikaze

Postby tanuki » Sun 10.09.2005 9:21 pm

Hello!

I was wondering what the Kanji for "kamikaze" were, and I was surprised that it is 神風, "wind of the gods". Why is that so? Is that some religious thing?

Thanks, bye!
tanuki

RE: Kamikaze

Postby Infidel » Sun 10.09.2005 9:28 pm

A few hundred years ago the Chinese emperor sent a fleet and army to conquer Japan. The fleet and army were so large that Japan had no chance whatsoever. But a Typhoon came and destroyed the fleet. Such a wind at that time and that place was considered a divine act, and therefore the wind was called a divine wind.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby tanuki » Sun 10.09.2005 9:36 pm

Really? Cool!

However, I still don't see the connection between that typhoon and a "suicidal attack".
tanuki

Postby clay » Sun 10.09.2005 9:40 pm

ishnar wrote:
A few hundred years ago the Chinese emperor sent a fleet and army to conquer Japan. The fleet and army were so large that Japan had no chance whatsoever. But a Typhoon came and destroyed the fleet. Such a wind at that time and that place was considered a divine act, and therefore the wind was called a divine wind.

I may be wrong, but I thought it was the Mongols who invaded.

The naming of the WWII suicide crashes as kamikaze came when Japan was nearing defeat and they wanted another 'divine wind' to save them. I suppose the pilots saw themselves as delivering this divine wind.
Last edited by clay on Sun 10.09.2005 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Infidel » Sun 10.09.2005 9:55 pm

I think at that point the Mongols had conqured the Chinese so the Chinese emperor was also the emperor of Mongolia. But I'm going off the top of my head so I might have my dates off.
Infidel

Postby AJBryant » Mon 10.10.2005 9:42 am

I still don't see the connection between that typhoon and a "suicidal attack".

Then why not look it up in a dictionary or encyclopedia and see what the article says?

Or am I one of the only few people who actually does that, these days?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby nprz » Mon 10.10.2005 7:35 pm

AJBryant wrote:
I still don't see the connection between that typhoon and a "suicidal attack".

Then why not look it up in a dictionary or encyclopedia and see what the article says?

Or am I one of the only few people who actually does that, these days?

Tony

You mean something so absurd as typing "kamikaze" in google and clicking on the link going to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamikaze?
nprz

Postby Infidel » Mon 10.10.2005 11:27 pm

jorge_val_ribera wrote:
However, I still don't see the connection between that typhoon and a "suicidal attack".

Metaphor
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 10.10.2005 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Infidel

Postby AJBryant » Tue 10.11.2005 1:44 am

You mean something so absurd as typing "kamikaze" in google and clicking on the link going to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamikaze?

Yeah, something like that. I never cease to be amazed that folks will ask questions about something and then are willing to wait however long for an answer when they can easily find the information themselves with the barest amount of footwork.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby mandolin » Tue 10.11.2005 2:53 am

Indeed. Heaven forbid people prefer human interaction (even if it is REMOTE interaction).

Regardless, maybe it's laziness sometimes. And maybe it's someone wanting conversation and a more expository discussion of a topic than a wikipedia entry or the like could provide.
mandolin

Postby AJBryant » Tue 10.11.2005 1:55 pm

Regardless, maybe it's laziness sometimes. And maybe it's someone wanting conversation and a more expository discussion of a topic than a wikipedia entry or the like could provide.

I vote for the former.

Otherwise, I'd expect "I just looked this up, and I don't understand why..." or "I understand that XYZ is ABC, but does anyone think...."

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I think that people's ability to find things out on their own or do basic research has actually *declined* in the days of the internet -- something I never would have expected -- but with the incredible number of fora and newsgroups, it seems easier just to ask a question and wait for a spoonfeeding of the answer rather than doing some actual footwork.

It's like in the translation fora; there are two types of people asking for help. The ones who say, "I'm trying to translate XYZ, can you tell me how I'm doing and if this is right" (whom I respect) and the ones who say "Can you translate XYZ for me" (whom I usually don't).

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Binsento » Wed 10.12.2005 8:38 am

How do you get people crazy enough to commit suicide by blowing themselves up near the enemy?
By telling them something that is not true, by making them believe that they are gods and will be treated well in heaven.

It's the same reason to why it's still happening now and i'm afraid that it will never stop existing in our world. :(
Binsento

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 10.12.2005 8:58 am

Actually, in the case of the Kamikaze pilots, there was little religious significance, and little to no Goding and Heavening. It was more of a sense of honor and duty to both family and nation. More can be read about it at the Wikipedia article listed above.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby WacKostRacKo » Wed 10.12.2005 9:57 am

many young men did everything they could to become a kamikaze pilot. It was reguarded as the highest sacrifice a soldier could give. And they were revered by their comrades and by the public. thats why they did it.
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

Postby Binsento » Wed 10.12.2005 10:23 am

The thing i find strange is that this seems like Altruism.
Which is actually a pretty rare thing for humans.
I could be wrong of course, but i truly believe that not all of the pilots did it for themselves.
Binsento

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion