Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What made you choose japanese?

What made you choose japanese?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Re: What made you choose japanese?

Postby furrykef » Tue 12.27.2011 12:25 pm

Shiroisan wrote:I don't think "ために" could ever be used as a "to"; Isn't it to say what something is "for" in English?

彼女は旅行へ行くために、お金をためている。
She is saving money to go on a trip.

Shiroisan wrote:Doesn't [verb]こと just change the verb into a noun? What does that have to do with "to"

踊ることが好きです。
I like to dance.

Shiroisan wrote:"には" is just に again; は is just marking the subject as per usual, right?

Don't conflate topics and subjects. Such conflation is why people get confused about the difference between は and が. ;)

には is sometimes used in ways that plain に is not.

私には大切だ。
It is important to me.

Shiroisan wrote:I suppose へ is optional flare, but I don't remember there ever being a case where you'd have to use it instead of に, do you?

Maybe in [place]へようこそ. I rarely if ever come across that construction with に. Sometimes the nuance is also different with へ in place of に.

Shiroisan wrote:にとって Might be valid, but I haven't come across it in my studies yet though so I don't know what it means :sweatdrop:

It's sometimes synonymous with には. I think my example with には would work with にとって too.

Are they different meanings of "to"? Sure. But then, "for, to, as, from, at, on, in, etc." are different meanings of に, so I think the comparison is perfectly fair.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Re: What made you choose japanese?

Postby Shiroisan » Tue 12.27.2011 8:44 pm

I think things might start to get a little too abstract if I attempt to argue the case further- but I'll admit that you're at least able to make a case for bountiful linking words furry :P
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion