Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Where to learn Japanese in Japan?

Where to learn Japanese in Japan?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Where to learn Japanese in Japan?

Postby Arboreus » Wed 10.12.2005 11:41 am

Hello all,

I am planning on spending up to two years in Japan specifically to learn Japanese, and I'm trying to figure out where to go to school. My first thought was a university. However, the ones I've looked at so far, like Kansai Gaidai, do not have particularly intensive Japanese as foreign language programs. Perhaps they would be fine if I were taking other classes in pursuit of a degree, but I'm looking for intensive Japanese study only.

Another option is a dedicated language school such as The Yamasa Institute, for example. I have looked at several of these, and they seem to offer the type of program that I am looking for, but how do I choose the right one? They all make themselves sound wonderful, but how can I tell? I haven't been able to find any objective sources of information on them.

Well, I certainly haven't looked at all of the possibilities out there yet. As I continue the search, I thought I would see if anyone here has any suggestions or advise to offer. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Arboreus

RE: Where to learn Japanese in Japan?

Postby Apollo » Wed 10.12.2005 11:54 am

Wow that's really cool I never knew you could go to Japan and learn Japanese, shows how sheltered I am I guess you could say lol. I don't know how to help you because I only get out of high school in two more years (Junior) But thanks for letting me know that opportunities like that exist in Japan. Sorry that I couldn't help yah.
MY SIG IMAGE WAS OVER 100 PIXELS HIGH AND THE ADMINS SMOTE IT WITH A HAMMER OF SMITING.
Apollo

Postby Arboreus » Wed 10.12.2005 8:02 pm

Apollo, thanks for your reply. Heh, I'm glad I was able to contribute some information to you; I hadn't expected that! B)
Arboreus

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 10.12.2005 9:38 pm

I went to Kansai Gaidai for a semester in College. Although I can't recommend their Japanese culture courses (too easy, but you're required to take 2), their Japanese language classes are really good. They also have a language partner program that was really helpful, as well as homestay and dormitory options. Japanese classes were (I believe) split into reading/writing and speaking, and there were 6, 2 hour classes a week.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby nprz » Wed 10.12.2005 10:33 pm

There is only going to be so much Japanese you can learn in an extensive program. I went to Japan and studied at Waseda University but I don't know if there Japanese language program is made for 2 years (mine was for one). The highest difficulty is pretty tough, I think it makes you good enough for JLPT 1.

If it is possible, you should try and take regular classes taught in Japanese because at Waseda, the regular classes we took were taught in English (boo/hiss)
nprz

Postby Arboreus » Thu 10.13.2005 9:31 am

nprz wrote:
There is only going to be so much Japanese you can learn in an extensive program.

Truly. I don't know what the optimal amount of instruction is, but the impression I have gotten from looking at a few Japanese universities is that their language programs are similar to the German language program I had in college. I had about 10 hours of German instruction per week, which was a good fit with the rest of my class schedule. But, if I have no other subjects to study, that pace seems rather lackadaisical to me. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations, but I was hoping to find some universities that have more intensive programs for folks like me.

By the way, I don't know if anyone took it this way, but for the record, I didn't mean to imply that Kansai Gaidai is not a good university. On the contrary, it looks fine to me, and I would not hesitate to go to school there if I weren't looking for something a little different than they appear to offer. I just cited it as a representative example of the institutions that I had looked at so far.
Arboreus

Postby WacKostRacKo » Thu 10.13.2005 10:49 am

Yamasa were really good, i spend the summer there just for the experience and to brush up on my japanese. It was taught in Japanese and no mother tongue was used at all, they also had social events so that you could meet other people and socialize. Not to mention the fact that you then had to say everything in Japanese to get anything. Id recommend it.

Plus studying Japanese morning noon and night for two years, and having to rely on it for communication, will make you pretty fluent!:D
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

Postby Apollo » Thu 10.13.2005 12:14 pm

That's an excellent idea, I think I will look into that, with going to Japan every summer, because as they say, it's better to learn a language when you use it/hear it everyday.
MY SIG IMAGE WAS OVER 100 PIXELS HIGH AND THE ADMINS SMOTE IT WITH A HAMMER OF SMITING.
Apollo

Postby nprz » Thu 10.13.2005 2:03 pm

I agree with that. I didn't look at the website for Yamasa before but it seems like a pretty good program. If I wanted to go there, at least I wouldn't need another visa (I have a year-long visa that expires in 2008).
If you take their intensive course, coupled with the fact you will be living in Japan and hopefully talking to Japanese in your free time, you could become fluent in the language. It all depends on how much you put in and how much they let you put in :)
nprz

Postby Arboreus » Fri 10.14.2005 9:21 am

Hey, cool! WacKostRacKo, would you tell us a little more about Yamasa? They say on their website that teaching is done by teams of 4 or 5 teachers. How did that work out? What did you think of their housing, classrooms and other facilities? What did you think of Okazaki?
Arboreus

Return to Japanese General Discussion