Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A Doubt

A Doubt

Japanese, general discussion on the language

A Doubt

Postby nikhilkhullar » Tue 01.10.2012 10:54 pm

Hello friends,

Am an absolute newbie to Nihongo.

I have read that Kanji signifies meanings, as in each symbol is like some word in itself and has a specific pronunciation attached to it.

My query is how do I write my name in Nihongo ? Is it literal phonetic trans-literation as we do in English or will it be on the basis of the meanings of the name (which are: entireness, perfection) ... If possible, can you spell out my name for me in Japanese. Will memorize that at least for now, if am unable to comprehend it :)

Awaiting your replies...
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...
人生は音楽です。
nikhilkhullar

Native language: Hindi

Re: A Doubt

Postby nikhilkhullar » Tue 01.10.2012 10:55 pm

I forgot to mention, the name is: Nikhil ... :)
人生は音楽です。
nikhilkhullar

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Wed 01.11.2012 2:38 am

As a foreigner, you'll write your name in Katakana, and you'll probably write it as ニキル but I honestly don't know how exactly your name is pronounced. Ideally, you'll find your name listed somewhere or ask a native because turning a name into kana doesn't always go the way you might expect because of differences in the way the Japanese hear things.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby nikhilkhullar » Wed 01.11.2012 2:47 am

Thanks a lot for the information. What about Kanji ?
Is this a rule that there is no Kanji representation of foreign names or generically saying, nouns..?

I tried to search around for my name listed, but being an Indian name; couldn't find it... Anyways, thanks a lot for the Katakana representation :)

Would love some native to comment in further detail, not just on my name's Kanji but regarding the general rule for foreign proper nouns...

Regards,
Nikhil
人生は音楽です。
nikhilkhullar

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 01.11.2012 5:42 am

You can theoretically create a kanjified name for yourself, however it will be sketchy at best. As kanji have many different readings, nobody would know how to spontaneously read the kanji you combined for yourself into a foreign name- especially when they'd think that if it was a foreign name, it would be in katakana. The reason it works for Japanese names is, almost all Japanese names are common, so people will be familiar with the combinations of kanji to create certain names, and will "spontaneously" read it correctly.

On top of all that, it's just generally bad form.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby nikhilkhullar » Wed 01.11.2012 5:55 am

@ Shiroisan

Arigatou gozaimastu for the valuable information... :)

Can you kindly tell me what can be a possibility for the stylish Kanji for my name Nikhil. It means entire or perfection...

The general rule is clear to me now, am just asking the Kanji out of curiousity... :)

Regards,
Nikhil
人生は音楽です。
nikhilkhullar

Return to Japanese General Discussion