Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Have you been to Japan?

Have you been to Japan?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Yeah

Postby danny_mack » Fri 03.11.2005 12:15 am

I've been there three times to visit relatives, I always have a great time because people seem to be nicer there, plus my aunt has wonderful home cooking. However I think America is a better place to live for me.
Last edited by danny_mack on Fri 03.11.2005 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
danny_mack

RE: Have you been to Japan?

Postby hihlordjp » Fri 03.11.2005 12:17 am

Spaztick wrote:
Esominak, why did you say "nihon e iku koko ga nai."? I'm wondering why you added the "koto?"

If you say just "日本へ行かなかった。" that simply means "I didn't go to Japan". When you say "日本へ行った事がありません。" That means more of "I haven't gone to Japan yet." or "As for (the thing of) going to Japan, I haven't done it yet." The 〜事があります construction is used for expressing things you'd already done. On the other hand, 〜事がありません is used for expressing things you haven't done yet.
Last edited by hihlordjp on Fri 03.11.2005 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
俺様は何時か此の地球の帝王に成るぞ!
...ジョウダンだよ。ヘヘ ^^;;

「君という光が私を見つける // 真夜中に」-- 「光」という歌より(歌手:宇多田ヒカル)
hihlordjp

Postby Mukade » Fri 03.11.2005 1:51 am

hihlordjp wrote:
The 〜事があります construction is used for expressing things you'd already done. On the other hand, 〜事がありません is used for expressing things you haven't done yet.

Just don't forget to put your verb in plain past.

日本へ行った事がない。
Nihon e itta koto ga nai.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby hihlordjp » Fri 03.11.2005 1:29 pm

Mukade wrote:

Just don't forget to put your verb in plain past.

日本へ行った事がない。
Nihon e itta koto ga nai.

Now that you mention it, I forgot to stick 行った in my example. hehe *edits post*
俺様は何時か此の地球の帝王に成るぞ!
...ジョウダンだよ。ヘヘ ^^;;

「君という光が私を見つける // 真夜中に」-- 「光」という歌より(歌手:宇多田ヒカル)
hihlordjp

Postby Azn_Gangstet » Sun 10.09.2005 11:49 pm

i only went to japan for 10 hrs! and i had to stay in the airport the whole time!!!!! but it was VERY pretty though!
Azn_Gangstet

Postby nprz » Mon 10.10.2005 1:11 am

I went to Japan 2 years ago and stayed for about 10 months. I studied Japanese at Waseda University in Tokyo. I have to say going to college in a foreign country is a great experience and most Japanese are polite and the college-age ones are friendly as well.
Joining college clubs (I joined a tennis club and almost joined a ping pong one) was a great way to make friends. I also lived in an all-mens dorm called Wakeijuku, which is recommended over gaijin dorms that are provided by some colleges.

I traveled around during my spring vacation but I couldn't find too much to do in Osaka, I stayed I think 4 days instead of the 5 days I planned. Few cities have enough tourist places to take up more than a few days. If I went to Japan again to see the country, I'd definately get a JR-Pass and visit as many spots as possible on the Shinkansen.

I think from living in Japan, I unlearned the ability to use 丁寧語. Saying ございます after ありがとう was a struggle. I was never polite when talking to strangers, and it makes me wonder if they thought bad of me for using plain form.
nprz

Postby dschi » Mon 10.10.2005 2:23 am

(First post here, let's hope I get it right)

After a few years of lobbying, I finally got the nod to travel to Japan and meet our colleagues in the Tokyo office. I was in Tokyo for a week in mid August with one day trip to our Matsudo facility. We stayed at Hotel Okura and I found time every morning and night to walk around exploring for an hour or two. I brought along a hand held GPS receiver and highly recommend anyone else doing the same. Knowing that I could venture as far as I wanted and always find my way back where I started from made the excursions nearly stress free.

Impressions:
Big, busy, clean, polite, safe.
Enjoyed everything I ate except the sea urchin...beware the sea urchin!
Walking by the moat of the Imperial Palace late at night was sublime.
Followed minutes later by a walk through the Ginza.
Tokyo is HUGE. I have no illusion that I experienced anything more than a tiny fraction of the flavor of the city, much less the national culture.
I felt completely illiterate. A very uncomfortable feeling.
Osaka-Kansai is a very big airport.

One of my hosts suggested learning hiragana and katakana (which I've done). Another colleague made me aware of an informal Japanese language class in our main US office (I start that next Monday). Shameless lobbying has begun to work on an extended project there next year.

HTH.
dschi

Postby AJBryant » Mon 10.10.2005 9:32 am

I lived there for six years. Great place. Sometimes I think about moving back, but then I stop and consider how large an apartment I'd need just on account of my books, and I dispair of ever affording a place so huge.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Cherie061403 » Mon 10.10.2005 4:46 pm

dschi wrote:
(First post here, let's hope I get it right)

After a few years of lobbying, I finally got the nod to travel to Japan and meet our colleagues in the Tokyo office. I was in Tokyo for a week in mid August with one day trip to our Matsudo facility. We stayed at Hotel Okura and I found time every morning and night to walk around exploring for an hour or two. I brought along a hand held GPS receiver and highly recommend anyone else doing the same. Knowing that I could venture as far as I wanted and always find my way back where I started from made the excursions nearly stress free.

Impressions:
Big, busy, clean, polite, safe.
Enjoyed everything I ate except the sea urchin...beware the sea urchin!
Walking by the moat of the Imperial Palace late at night was sublime.
Followed minutes later by a walk through the Ginza.
Tokyo is HUGE. I have no illusion that I experienced anything more than a tiny fraction of the flavor of the city, much less the national culture.
I felt completely illiterate. A very uncomfortable feeling.
Osaka-Kansai is a very big airport.

One of my hosts suggested learning hiragana and katakana (which I've done). Another colleague made me aware of an informal Japanese language class in our main US office (I start that next Monday). Shameless lobbying has begun to work on an extended project there next year.

HTH.

Sounds so exciting! :o

Going to Japan is a huge priority of mine. I want to go extremely bad. I have dreams that I am there and I'm speaking Japanese... its funny, I only speak the Japanese I know. I hope to speak Japanese I haven't learned yet! ^_^ I'm equally excited about the countryside as well as the city. A dream however is to live there. Of course only if I liked it after I've actually visited. *sigh*
Last edited by Cherie061403 on Mon 10.10.2005 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherie061403

Postby Apollo » Fri 10.14.2005 12:12 pm

I WISH! But in my life, I will go there I don't care if it's only once, even if I don't know the language completely. When I went to China Town in San Francisco it was like my Disneyland! If I went to Japan Town I'd freeze out of excitement lol, but I wasn't able to go, since no one wanted to go with me lol. I'm planning on going there every summer when I am able to support myself and when I learn the language enough to make a living there, I want to teach English or History there. Even though my mother wants me to teach English in Brazil instead. @_@ ^^"
Last edited by Apollo on Fri 10.14.2005 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY SIG IMAGE WAS OVER 100 PIXELS HIGH AND THE ADMINS SMOTE IT WITH A HAMMER OF SMITING.
Apollo

Postby richvh » Fri 10.14.2005 12:31 pm

I was stationed at MCAS Iwakuni in 1981. I visited Hiroshima several times and Osaka once. (I rode the Shinkansen to Osaka; the traims to Hiroshima were locals.) My workcenter also gave anyone, Catholic or not, who wanted to go see Pope John Paul II speak at Peace Park in Hiroshima the day off, an opportunity that I took advantage of.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion