Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - EMailing in Japanese (Tech issue)

EMailing in Japanese (Tech issue)

Japanese, general discussion on the language

EMailing in Japanese (Tech issue)

Postby Senescence » Fri 10.28.2005 6:46 pm

Hey everyone. I keep EMailing my Japanese family, girlfriend, and former Senseis in Japanese and they all more or less tell me that about half the time all they get is gibberish.

I use Firefox, and sometimes IE, and I have the Japanese language pack and all that stuff installed on my computer. And Im not sure if this helps, but most of the time, I cant read Japanese as is on my computer, I have to go to FireFox's View tab, and then Character Encoding, Japanese (I dont know which JAP subset...sometimes one works and another doesnt). I dont know if that has anything to do with it, but is there any way that I can just have my browser always remember to be both English and Japanese compatible? Also, for the main question, how do I make sure I'm sending a non-gibberish EMail to my friends?

Thanks in advance,
Sen
Senescence

RE: EMailing in Japanese (Tech issue)

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 10.28.2005 7:11 pm

what program are you using for email?
zengargoyle

Postby nprz » Sat 10.29.2005 12:04 am

I use Outlook Express and there is a setting for which encoding you want to use. If you pick the wrong one they will get jibberish. On a browser, either the webmail (?) program has to realize the encoding and put it in or the people receiving the email have to adjust their settings.
Send me an email (nprz at hotmail dot com) and I will tell you if I can get the Japanese (and I will also know if your email program is setting the wrong encoding)
nprz

Postby Senescence » Sat 10.29.2005 8:06 am

ok thanks guys. Im using Hotmail too, sorry I didnt mention that.
Senescence

Postby Senescence » Sat 10.29.2005 8:16 am

I just got an EMail from my grilfriend with a line that reads,

ちゃんと日本語で送られてきたよ

So I guess she didnt have to open the word file. I set my auto-decoding on Japanese (auto select)...maybe that made the difference.

Any thoughts?
Senescence

Postby Senescence » Sat 10.29.2005 12:17 pm

I think Ive got it figured out thanks to nprz.

Apparently I have to change the encoding to Japanese (Shift_JIS) to get it to work. Just a little heads up in case someone else runs into this problem.
Senescence

Return to Japanese General Discussion