Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What's pop right now?

What's pop right now?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

What's pop right now?

Postby JoshM » Sun 10.30.2005 11:46 am

Every language still in use is in a constant change. As Portuguese as Deutsch as any other. So, I was thinking that would be cool if someone created a thread to keep us far from Japan in touch with the new slang, expressions and language figures in use inside Japan by now.
I'm sure that expressions as "atama ii" were incorporated recently in the spoken language and now are in effective use. In fact, I was puzzled the first time I heard "atama ii". So, would be nice if people in contact with Japan or even who can read newspapers, magazines or watch Japanese TV to make obversevations about what is pop in Japan right now.
Although I'm most interested in expressions, we can use this thread to discuss others things that I'm sure will interest many users, as anime that are really popular amongst Japanese by this moment, music, TV shows, any sort of thing that is being currently comprised by their everchanging culture.
JoshM

RE: What's pop right now?

Postby Supergrunch » Sun 10.30.2005 6:58 pm

What does "atama ii" mean- "feel good" or something (taking the literal translation to be "body good" )?
Last edited by Supergrunch on Sun 10.30.2005 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supergrunch

Postby Kates » Sun 10.30.2005 9:21 pm

atama = head, not body
atama (ga) ii = smart
Kates

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 10.30.2005 10:22 pm

Atama means head. ii is good. So it means you have a good head, i.e. are smart.

I never realized that it was pop/modern Japanese. I was taught that phrase in High School by a 60 year old Japanese woman. ;)

Slang in Japan changes so much more quickly, and is so rooted in area, that it's hard to give a good primer for "pop Japanese" without mentioning where the phrases come from. The new slang that is used in aomori would not fly in kanagawa, for instance.

As for what's popular recently? Bob Sapp is making a comeback. Mastuken Samba is on it's 3rd iteration, and starting to get annoying. Hmm.. I haven't watched much TV lately (too much studying for the JLPT), so I don't know all the big stuff. Sorry.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby colind » Mon 10.31.2005 12:23 am

haha well... i don't think its a popular phrase but a girl i met said かなうま quite alot
which she said was short for かなりうまい which means "quite tasty"
i said this to a few other japanese friends and they didn't know what i was talking about and i had to explain it to them hehe ;)
colind

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 10.31.2005 3:14 am

Damnit kates, you beat me! =)

that reminds me. まいう! is popular slang for うまい (delicious) because of that wonderful debu debu show.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Japanese General Discussion