Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Confusions about Japanese names in kanji

Confusions about Japanese names in kanji

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Confusions about Japanese names in kanji

Postby pauro03 » Fri 06.21.2013 11:10 am

I know that there are different readings for Kanjis.. So What about if it's a name? How do Japanese people know that this kanji name reads like this if he doesn't know who the person is? Like in the case of important papers like renewing some documents?
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
pauro03

Native language: NA

Re: Confusions about Japanese names in kanji

Postby furrykef » Wed 07.03.2013 1:44 am

Generally, they don't. They often put furigana on the name unless it's somebody famous you're supposed to recognize. Sometimes, though, they don't bother and simply don't care if you don't know how to read it. I know that's rather alien to us gaijin, but that's how they do things sometimes...

Last names are usually pretty easy to read (there are, of course, exceptions) -- 高橋 is almost always read "Takahashi", though apparently it's still not the only possible reading -- but first names are often anybody's guess.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Re: Confusions about Japanese names in kanji

Postby pauro03 » Wed 07.03.2013 2:20 pm

furrykef wrote:Generally, they don't. They often put furigana on the name unless it's somebody famous you're supposed to recognize. Sometimes, though, they don't bother and simply don't care if you don't know how to read it. I know that's rather alien to us gaijin, but that's how they do things sometimes...

Last names are usually pretty easy to read (there are, of course, exceptions) -- 高橋 is almost always read "Takahashi", though apparently it's still not the only possible reading -- but first names are often anybody's guess.

Yea, been into a lot of questions about this, and all answers were the same.. I wonder how they cope up on this, as to us gaijin, we all think that that's kind of troublesome..
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
pauro03

Native language: NA

Return to Japanese General Discussion