Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How to make friends with Native Japanese?

How to make friends with Native Japanese?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

How to make friends with Native Japanese?

Postby pauro03 » Sat 07.13.2013 9:29 am

Is there any technique to drive natives into conversation and would apparently make them your friends? I've noticed that most of the Japanese are really shy into conversation and not into this "making friends" thingy, or am I just choosing not the right kind of version in their language? Note that my Japanese is just average.
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
pauro03

Native language: NA

Re: How to make friends with Native Japanese?

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 07.14.2013 4:22 am

I don't want to be so blunt, but since you called your Japanese "average" I feel like I need to tell you. The Japanese you use is often not understandable at all. I haven't been correcting it because I'm not sure if you're supposed to correct others in the "practice" forum. Please study a little harder! :sweatdrop:

If you allow it I can correct what I read from now on to help you, but there's a lot to cover.

As for the topic of Japanese friends in general, if you're in Japan it's very, very easy to find people that want to get to know foreigners, or even just people that want to practice their english on you.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby pauro03 » Sun 07.14.2013 7:57 am

Thanks for the help, and yes I allow it, why not? What's my purpose if being here by the way, that is to learn. I've been searching for people though to teach me as well. Those Japanese I've used in so far are thought to us by our teacher, we have books that corresponds to that. Are you sure it's really wrong? Or it's just that it is uncommon to use? I have a friend as well who is helping me from animenation.net, and yes, I have some phrases which is totally wrong, but mostly he says that it's not really wrong but is just uncommon to use? Though I'm slowly learning. By the way, I've just called myself average (supposedly low average, I miss typed it.) because I don't have any that much of a difficulty to understand Japanese text. I mean I admit kanji is difficult, but with a generator, I can seem to understand anything that is thrown to me, most of the time.. But yes my problem is grammar. By the way, I guess I've memorized some number of kanji just by having converstations with other people so I guess my way of studying JUST FOR NOW is not been put into waste. I'm a really busy guy and don't have the luxury to buy books for a study. So I believe I can just slowly learn, either way I'm still saving money for a big blow out for this language. My plan actually is to save money as much as I can, and I will study more of the language in Japan with a student Visa. Then I'll do what I can to familiarize the country and gather as much connections as I can so that when I finished my studies there, I could return back for a woking Visa. I don't know if this will work, but this is the only way I have right now as money really is a problem and I don't have a Japanese blood.
pauro03

Postby Shiroisan » Mon 07.15.2013 12:30 pm

pauro03 wrote: Are you sure it's really wrong?

unfortunately yes.

I have some phrases which is totally wrong, but mostly he says that it's not really wrong but is just uncommon to use?

You want to avoid both. You should be learning the exact way that Japanese people talk, and what they really say everyday. If you get creative already I guarantee they either won't understand you at all or they'll have great difficulty. I'm speaking from old experience on that.

I admit kanji is difficult, but with a generator, I can seem to understand anything that is thrown to me, most of the time..

You can't measure your Japanese proficiency while using a translator. Are you using rikaichan? Because that doesn't just translate kanji, that translates grammar points as well. So essentially there's almost no Japanese left to figure out on your own. It's probably your worst enemy if it's fooled you into thinking you can understand Japanese now.

I'm a really busy guy and don't have the luxury to buy books for a study.

Either find a way or complete tae kim's complete course!

So I believe I can just slowly learn, either way I'm still saving money for a big blow out for this language. My plan actually is to save money as much as I can, and I will study more of the language in Japan with a student Visa. Then I'll do what I can to familiarize the country and gather as much connections as I can so that when I finished my studies there, I could return back for a woking Visa. I don't know if this will work, but this is the only way I have right now as money really is a problem and I don't have a Japanese blood.

This part sounds cool to me.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby Ongakuka » Mon 07.15.2013 6:31 pm

You're making progress fast though! I'd take Shiroisan's advice and work on Tae Kim's guide, or try to get your hands on some kind of book so you can make sure you covered everything. It's a lot more reassuring to have a bit of confidence in the accuracy of what you're saying. Good luck!
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby pauro03 » Wed 07.17.2013 7:51 am

Thank you so much senpais.. And I guess that Tae Kim is really new to me.. Anyways, actually I don't have any idea where to start studying as no one thought me how to study, where to study, and what to study. BUT! I've had a basic 2 months course. that's all that I've got.. The rest? self speculation. So if you don't mind guys just to list just a general study guide, or if you could a specific one. I'm really into Japanese it is just that I lack people who can teach me what to do. I'm not into "please teach me how to speak" thingy as I don't to be that much of a bother to people, especially that they don't even know me. But just a guide on where I should start, what to study, and how to study maybe. Anyways, I believe that the only part of the Japanese lesson that I've mastered is Hiragana and Katakana. The rest is I guess I need to study, even repeat to what we've studied in our 2 month course.
pauro03

Postby loveinjapanese2014 » Sun 03.16.2014 10:55 am

pauro03 wrote:Is there any technique to drive natives into conversation and would apparently make them your friends? I've noticed that most of the Japanese are really shy into conversation and not into this "making friends" thingy, or am I just choosing not the right kind of version in their language? Note that my Japanese is just average.

You can try to develop new hobby especially related to Japanese culture by joining its training class or some social groups for that hobby then you can meet new people on regular basis eventually being able to make them your friends.

Japanese people may be shy to make unknown person friends and they need to be at least introduced via a common friend.
A one stop shop guide to help you understand Japanese girls and Japanese love culture. - See more at: http://loveinjapanese.net
loveinjapanese2014

Native language: English

Postby Lawless » Wed 07.30.2014 11:26 am

loveinjapanese2014 wrote:meet new people on regular basis eventually being able to make them your friends.

I think this is the secret trick that many people discount. If you want friends, put some time in especially in an environment that enables natural interaction. Clubs aren't hard to find our join, even if you're just a traveler.
Lawless

Native language: English

Return to Japanese General Discussion