Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Henoko - Okinawa... disaster going to happen?

Henoko - Okinawa... disaster going to happen?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Henoko - Okinawa... disaster going to happen?

Postby Txkun » Sat 11.05.2005 5:06 pm

Maybe it's a little off topic but I think it's important to read what's is happening there. It's sad. I really hope this stupid waste will be stopped. :(

http://www.greenpeace.or.jp/info/featur ... ws_en_html
http://www.greenpeace.or.jp/press/2005/20051026_html
Txkun

Native language: Italian

RE: Henoko - Okinawa... disaster going to happen?

Postby Kodi » Sat 11.05.2005 10:36 pm

Oh it's not off topic on a general discussion forum. ;)

Yeah that is realy sad. :| I can understand that they want to build it off shore due to the lack of space on land... But what they will destroy in the process is too valuable. The photos of the reef and the fish etc are so nice. Apart from the reef... It's all out of japanese tax payers money aswell?! ( "Estimated one trillion yen of Japanese tax money is going to be spent to build this U.S. military base." ) It's not even a Japanese air base.
Last edited by Kodi on Sat 11.05.2005 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kodi

Postby Kei » Mon 11.07.2005 2:02 pm

The reason for it is dumb in my opinion. Why destroy something beautiful and natural for a military base. Sad news I hope Greenpeace fights them off :(
はじめまして ^_^;
Kei

Postby mandolin » Mon 11.07.2005 6:20 pm

I wish I knew why we need so many military installations in japan, anyway. It's not like the country is getting bigger so we need more bases to give them more protection. Heh.
mandolin

Postby Sachi » Mon 11.07.2005 6:46 pm

That is terrible! :( And people wonder about the greenhouse effect, species becoming endangered and then extinct, and such? Look at the rainforests and the rivers; many many parts of our environment are being destroyed. Whoever proposed the base was an idiot beyond my belief.
Sachi

Postby Infidel » Mon 11.07.2005 7:32 pm

mandolin wrote:
I wish I knew why we need so many military installations in japan, anyway. It's not like the country is getting bigger so we need more bases to give them more protection. Heh.

China and North Korea.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby nprz » Mon 11.07.2005 8:54 pm

Surprising how they are shrinking the base in South Korea, yet wanted to expand in Japan. Neither country likes our bases. If I were in the military, I think I'd rather be in Korea because I could save up some money.
nprz

Postby Kodi » Mon 11.07.2005 10:12 pm

ishnar's right. But it's actions like this which spark wars. One side sees that the other is building up forces, so they build them up too. And so on. :-( It realy isn't a good sign.

[On a side note... Why is it I keep seeing computer games nowadays which apparently are set in the near future and have The US, China and a middle eastern group fighting against each other? That realy annoys me.]
Kodi

Postby Spaztick » Tue 11.08.2005 3:01 pm

Frankly, that IS what is going to happen eventually, not so much because they are building up forces against each other and having a cold war going on, but because a lot of these countries know that there's going to be peace...until somebody needs resources, namely oil.

The Middle East has oil, and probably a lot more, but since it's war-torn (relatively speaking) the demand will rise, and prices would go up. This might create more of an economic conflict, but there could be fights over oil, although it may not be as severe as what I typed ahead.

China is sucking a lot of oil right now, with its rapid expansionism and huge population. China has oil, and is importing some, but eventually the demand is going to be greater than the need, and I think that when that happens, China's going to take the resources it needs by either persuading Russia to drill in Siberia or taking oil rigs in the Pacific Rim, more than likely the conviniently located Japan, for whom China has held a grudge against for the past 60 years. More than likely you're going to attack the enemy for resources than your neutral neighbors or allies.

There's going to be one more big war eventually, and right now I'm betting it's going to be in China and the Middle East,
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN