Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Sushi

Sushi

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Sushi

Postby Kodi » Sat 11.05.2005 9:50 pm

Has anyone here actualy tried making their own sushi? I'm going to give it a try this week. Hopefully I will find everything I need it town so I don't have to order off the internet. Should be interesting. :)

I have enough equipment in the kitchen I think. Oh except the Makisu (the bamboo rolling mat).
I need nori seaweed, some decent sushi rice, gari (doubt I'll find this one, couldn't find it last time I wanted it for yaki soba... maybe somewhere in the local market, Perhaps there is an asian food store there which sells japanese foodstuffs), Wasabi, vegetables and fish.
One thing I'm not sure about is wether I can get fish which is high enough quality. I can buy decent fish at my supermarket but wether it is okay to be eaten raw may not be the case. I could drive for 20/25 minutes to the local harbour to buy fish straight off the boats in the morning possibly... hehe.

http://www.sushilinks.com/
This site is realy good. It's written well and even goes into sushi etiquette too. Some recipies which I'll try I think. Lots of links to other good sites there.
http://www.bento.com/sushivoc.html
I find this useful when I don't understand what a certain word is.
Lots of other sites around too which is good.

Someone else try! :)
Kodi

RE: Sushi

Postby Kodi » Sun 11.06.2005 1:59 pm

Well... Out of three supermarkets I looked in... None even had sushi rice. Let alone Nori seaweed, Gari, Wasabi, and the Makisu. The market in the centre of town isn't open on sundays but I doubt there will be the stuff I need anyway hehe. Looks like I'll need to get it online or drive to a bigger city.
Kodi

Postby mr_pain » Sun 11.06.2005 2:22 pm

Is anything ever open in Preston on a Sunday? ;)

You might try China town in Manchester for the ingredients you’re missing and DEFINATELY get a Makisu, it makes rolling it so much easier. I’ve only made vegetarian sushi so far since I don’t trust raw fish from the supermarkets either (well apart from prawns) and cooked tuna rolls just arnt the same.
mr_pain

Postby Kodi » Sun 11.06.2005 3:53 pm

Yeah I thought about Manchester. I got stuff I needed on ebay instead in the end. It'll save me petrol driving down there.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEGA-SUSHI-KIT-RICE-NORI-seaweed-ROLL-MAT-WASABI_W0QQitemZ4415978052QQcategoryZ20649QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAPANESE-STYLE-SUSHI-KNIFE-SET_W0QQitemZ4415043666QQcategoryZ20639QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yes I have also been wondering about fish freshness. I can spot a fresh fish easily though. Something my mum taught me hehe. Yeah you can always have cooked fish in sushi but, yeah, it's just that raw tastes better. :)
Do you know Fleetwood? It's north of Blackpool and there is a good fishing harbour there so I might try that.
Kodi

Postby mr_pain » Sun 11.06.2005 6:30 pm

Ahhhh Fleetwood - I still remember the place when the harbour was lined with boats!! (Although that may be a false memory from a photo actually - used to go up there a lot as a wee lad). Yes, you should still get good (if slightly radioactive) fish from there ;)

Believe it or not, my wife and I were just discusing selling Sushi kits on ebay...I have to say the price on the rice etc. rather made me exclaim. Im about to be made unemployed and you may just be able to buy those from me in a few months !

Anyways, watch your fingers *grin*
mr_pain

Postby mr_pain » Sun 11.06.2005 6:37 pm

mr_pain

Postby Kodi » Sun 11.06.2005 8:35 pm

Thanks for the link. Hope to see a link for your own place soon too then. ;) Keep an eye out on ebay and watch how quickly (or slow) they all sell. There are quite a few things which I would like to have as ingredients which no one is selling but maybe no one other than me would buy them hehe.
Last edited by Kodi on Mon 01.26.2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kodi

Postby Supergrunch » Thu 11.10.2005 5:15 pm

I bought a sushi kit from waitrose, including makisu, gari and everything else. I used smoked salmon in the sushi, so it wasn't exactly traditional.
Supergrunch

Postby Kodi » Thu 11.10.2005 5:43 pm

raw salmon isnt a good one to use in sushi anyway (unless from a restaraunt). It's more likely to have parasites than oter fish and needs to be frozen or cooked realy. Restaraunts get it frozen or flash freeze it I think.
Kodi

Postby Kodi » Thu 11.10.2005 6:21 pm

Well I made some at last! :)
I made enough rice for just over one roll to start with but because I found I had lots of fillings I decided to make two. Not enough rice for two though lol. It's a little loose because of that but still tastey! Especialy as a first attempt ever.
Oh and next to the sushi is deep fried tofu. ;)
Kodi

Postby Kodi » Tue 11.15.2005 1:58 pm

My second attempt. This time with normal maki rolls instead of inside out. That's silly isn't it... Doing inside out rolls before normal rolls. :p
One is spicy tuna and cucumber and the other is smoked salmon, cream cheese and seseme seeds. I'm too scared to get raw fish lol. I like raw fish tho. Plus, a raw fish makes alot of sushi rolls and I can only eat so much food! lol
Kodi

Postby coco » Wed 11.16.2005 5:51 am

Kodi wrote:
My second attempt. This time with normal maki rolls instead of inside out. That's silly isn't it... Doing inside out rolls before normal rolls. :p

Both nice! うまく できましたね〜。すごい。 B)
Second one, looks very delicious!
とっても おいしそう!
One is spicy tuna and cucumber and the other is smoked salmon, cream cheese and seseme seeds.

I've never used cream cheese yet, I will try next time.:)

*追加*
same thread. Had anyone used a door mat?
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=810
Last edited by coco on Fri 11.25.2005 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby InuKei » Mon 11.21.2005 9:19 am

Sushi is not too hard to make, from what I understand. I've only done it a few times, and both were highly supervised... anyhoo. Sushi rice is icky, so I always want pure sashimi more... eh. Go figure.
InuKei

Postby Apollo » Wed 11.30.2005 9:39 pm

Heh the only sushi I ever tried was the ones at The Naked Fish in San Francisco and some that my mom buys at Costco lol!
MY SIG IMAGE WAS OVER 100 PIXELS HIGH AND THE ADMINS SMOTE IT WITH A HAMMER OF SMITING.
Apollo

Return to Japanese General Discussion