Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question

Question

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Question

Postby John Jakes » Fri 11.11.2005 3:06 pm

How long before I am able to read Hiragana and Katakana text? I already know all the characters I just don't know what thy mean together. The reason why I want to learn Japanese is because I have a video game that I imported that I know is in hiragana and katakana and I want to play and understand it. Anyway, does anybody have an idea of how much longer I have to study before I can play this game? Thank you in advance.
learning japanese is hard.
John Jakes

RE: Question

Postby meiloyn » Fri 11.11.2005 3:16 pm

Practice. Read. Write. The more you practice your Hiragana and Katakana, the faster you will be able to read it fluently.

http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/vi ... ad_id=1828

This is a fun way to practice your hiragana. (And katakana...)
You have the right to remain an idiot. Anything you say can and will be IGNORED!
meiloyn

Postby nprz » Fri 11.11.2005 3:22 pm

Your game doesn't have any kanji? Kanji will mean that you have to learn quite a number of kanji as well. Of course a dictionary would help as well. Good luck
nprz

Postby mandolin » Fri 11.11.2005 3:32 pm

Practice will help you with writing/reading, but what you really need is a strong vocabulary and grammar study.

Chances are your game also includes kanji. Luckily, it IS possible to just learn meanings of kanji and scrape by muddling through approximate translations. But without grammar, it will just be a string of words that make no sense.

There are no shortcuts. There's no 'minimum' investment you can make even if it is just for playing a game. I have a few japanese titles that I try to play for practice, namely Shining Force II. That's a Sega Gensis game, from ages and ages ago. And I have to stay on one dialogue screen looking up kanji compounds and trying to decipher verb conjugations for around five minutes (or more) before I can push the button and move on to the next little blurb of text.

It's all or nothing.... you're either in it for the long haul, and learning the language... or you're going to play your game going "Huh... wonder what he just said.."
mandolin

Postby John Jakes » Fri 11.11.2005 3:45 pm

Okay, it looks like I'm in for the long haul then. I'm going to start working on the grammer. Thanks for your posts.
learning japanese is hard.
John Jakes

Postby mandolin » Fri 11.11.2005 5:17 pm

I'd suggest ya change your sig, John. If for no other reason than it's self defeating. If you constantly tell yourself something is difficult, then it will be. BE positive, keep your goal in mind.

You can do this, it just takes dedication.
mandolin

Postby Admiral_Kanji » Sat 11.12.2005 12:24 am

Learning Japanese is hard? I'd say b e i n g Japanese is hard, from what I've seen from their anime and TV programs, especially being a Japanese child. So many nails sticking out, so many nails getting hammered down! So much discipline needed to learn their wonderful written language, so much discipline to learn how to be a proper Japanese. As an American I'd love that discipline, as my childhood was too easy and too soft. I sometimes wish I was born as a Japanese.
Admiral_Kanji

Postby nprz » Sat 11.12.2005 1:03 am

I think being a child in Japan is not hard at all, if they are under than 10 or so. After they have to get ready for junior high, then they have to study a lot and never get free time. Before that their parents let them do anything they want without punishment. Japanese have it easy in university as well because after that their life is owned by Japan Inc.
nprz

Return to Japanese General Discussion