Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hi im a New student

Hi im a New student

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Hi im a New student

Postby 22greg48 » Sun 11.13.2005 5:49 am

Iv just started learning japanese and its bloody hard! I have an hours tuition a week and read a japanese (teach yourself) book in between.
How long has it taken you guys to learn it?:)
22greg48

RE: Hi im a New student

Postby Kates » Mon 11.14.2005 9:29 am

I've been learning Japanese for over four years. o_o And I'm not done...
Kates

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 11.14.2005 7:41 pm

on and off for 13 years. Not done. :/
Dave Specter (amazingly brilliant TV commentator in Japan) has been studying/living here for 20 something years. He still learns 5 new words every day.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby nprz » Tue 11.15.2005 12:00 am

Harisenbon> I wonder what percent of Japanese people Dave Specter can speak better than. Most native speakers do not bother to learn new words after high school. There are probably enough words in most languages that you won't run out in a lifetime only learning 5 a day :) After 20 years of learning 5 words a day, it only adds up to 36.5k. I wouldn't be surprised if this is more than most people know though.
nprz

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 11.15.2005 1:16 am

Actually, I've talked to a lot of people who have said that Dave Specter knows more words than them (even though his "american humor" is about as funny as a brick). But, as he's a commentator, his job is to know words and to be able to comment on anything at any time. He is, at current, my linguistic rival. I will not rest until I am better at Japanese than him.

I was watching Japanese Who wants to be a milionare, and the last question was a 諺 (idiomatic saying). Dave Spector was one of the guest audience members, and when the contestant got the question wrong, Dave just laid in on him going "I'm a foreigner and even *I* knew that one! What's up with that?!"

I was very amused.

Oh, one other thing, 36500 words may not seem like a lot, but you only need to know 10,000 to pass the JLPT level 1. That's 3.6 times1kyuu! :o
Last edited by Harisenbon on Tue 11.15.2005 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby yankumi » Tue 11.15.2005 1:45 am

As far as vocabulary goes, I wonder how many Americans look to improve their vocabulary constantly. It's been very interesting for me to make parallels between how well Americans know their own language and grammar (including myself) with regards to learning a new language.
yankumi

Postby mandolin » Tue 11.15.2005 4:15 am

Words themselves have always interested me. I have been a subscriber of dictionary.com's word-a-day mailing list for years. It was taking up a second language that spurred me to delve more deeply into my own language.

I've found that my English grammar has improved considerably. I find myself reading hosts of grammar websites, utilizing a dictionary more than I ever had in school, and even delving into linguistics.

A few years ago, I could not have told you what a palatization was, let alone a fricative. :o
mandolin

Postby Infidel » Tue 11.15.2005 5:23 am

I prefer merriam-webster.com to dictionary.com because of the recorded examples. Dictionary.com has them too, but they requre premium membership and merriam-webster does not.

I would love if there were a Japanese site with recorded examples for every entry but if there is, it isn't a Japanese-English one.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Return to Japanese General Discussion